littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conviction? NO! What the Fu*k happened

is4fun is offline Should I give up the day Job?

Conviction? NO! What the Fu*k happened

For those of you who care and know a little a bit of Russia I thought it was a slam dunk! LOL

Surprise!!!!!!

BBC NEWS | Europe | Politkovskaya suspects acquitted

Nothing about Russian verdicts ever surprises me, but it's pretty obvious that there were 'factions' other than the accused Chechen brothers who would have liked her silenced...

Next they'll rule it was suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by is4fun View Post
    For those of you who care and know a little a bit of Russia I thought it was a slam dunk! LOL

Surprise!!!!!!

BBC NEWS | Europe | Politkovskaya suspects acquitted
    No suprise here!!! next round of the Russian Legal system in action will be Khordokovsky getting another 10 years on the 'new' charges! ))))....

BTW.. Khordovosky is nominated as my chump of the week!

Really, let's not be so kneejerk on this. Could it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt who killed her? Did the prosecution present enough evidence?

I read her book, she pissed off A LOT of people. This goes a lot deeper than 2 brothers who for all we know are just scapegoats.

Does anybody really know what happened in that courtroom?

Carbo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
    Really, let's not be so kneejerk on this. Could it be proven beyond a reasonable doubt who killed her? Did the prosecution present enough evidence?

I read her book, she pissed off A LOT of people. This goes a lot deeper than 2 brothers who for all we know are just scapegoats.

Does anybody really know what happened in that courtroom?
    I suspect the answer to that is no, they don't, Scrat. And it's a very, very good point.

Nobody knows what the hell happened, what the hell the truth is, and how the hell these two guys are involved.

Yet the screams are coming from the rafters.

If you look at the conviction rate between juries and judges, the difference is about 85 to 98 or so. Judges almost always convict, while juries do not trust the government.

In fact, that is why the new "Treason" bills will be using Judges only, because the government wants to insure that anyone charged with "Treason" will be convicted.

The fact that they decided to use a jury in the first place was interesting to me. It is a good possibility that these guys were innocent, but who knows?

The person who ordered the contract will never be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    Next they'll rule it was suicide!
    Hey, guess what? The government wants a scapegoat for this case as much as you do. If the prosecutor's office couldn't muster up a conviction, it must have been a very week case.

How happy would they be right now if they had a conviction? "Yeah, we've found Politkovskaya's killer! We rule!" In Russia, where conviction rate is the highest in the world, a jury didn't convict people on circumstantial evidence - some phone calls made by the brother at the time of the murder. I thought you guys would celebrate it as "a rare glimpse of democracy in action". But who am I kidding?

The funniest thing is - if this had been a conviction, there would have been an is4fun's post called "Evil Putin finds himself innocent scapegoats"...
    A modest girl never pursues a man. Nor does a mousetrap pursue a mouse.

Well, from reading the English paper accounts, it appears that her colleagues and other groups inside never believed that these guys were the top guys.

It also appears that the case was really weak, so I give it a thumbs up. The allegation is that the prosecutors couldn't provide much more information, because it could identify the higher ups.

As far as the government goes, my guess is that some were hoping for a conviction, and others weren't. The lack of conviction is an additional warning to those journalist that piss off the wrong people. I don't believe any of the journalist's killers have ever been successfully prosecuted in Russia.

Anna Politkovskaya trial: Four accused found not guilty | Media | guardian.co.uk

Maybe they'll do it right this time (I doubt it, but stranger things have happened):

BBC NEWS | Europe | Politkovskaya murder hunt reopens
    A modest girl never pursues a man. Nor does a mousetrap pursue a mouse.

I will be happy when Annas killers are brought to justice, all of them. She was a truely brave soul and humanity is less without her in this world. That's all I have to say for now.

Nobody knows what the hell happened, what the hell the truth is, and how the hell these two guys are involved.
    Again, guys, look a bit deeper, the truth is out there. Did you notice that whenever there is a showcase trial in Russia with a very meek sentence or no sentence at all there is always a jury involved? Do you think Khodorkovskiy had a jury to present his case to in the Basmanniy court? Heh.
    The style of this killing suggests Berezovskiy. And the court hearing was staged to lull the Western public. I would not be surprised if the "suspects" were paid by the Kremlin to participate in the farse.

You're reaching Russ Lad. Why would the Kremlin even bother to pay anyone when they could just threaten them with the gulag?

The closest I have ever been to the Russian legal system is sitting down on a potted plant in front of a building in Belgorod when I shouldn't have, and disobeying a junior FSB officer. The situation was solved in the end in a civilized manner. Even because of my ignorance and arrogance.
    I was once stopped driving a Kamaz truck when I had no liscense, I had to pay no bribe, I got no ticket, nothing. The cop considered the situation (not enough drivers, not far to go) and let us go. He said caught me again he would throw the book at me.

My experiences here in America have not been as civil as with the Russian authorities. It seems to me that American authorities are of a breed incapable of making a decision on their own, it's by the book. It's about regimented control of the populace. I've exchanged very harsh words with
    patrolmen in Seattle where it seems to me the prick in the Marvin the Martian helmet just wants to be right, and gets a hardon when he puts a badge on in the morning. You should've seen the look on his face, he probably never met a sheep that had the balls to yell right back at him and give him both fingers.

I don't believe 99% of what I hear. My personal experiences don't match them nor does what I have seen. Save the garbage RL unless you have irrefutable proof.

My experiences here in America have not been as civil as with the Russian authorities.
    How many months did you live in Russia, Scrat?
    You preconception that the Russian road police are very nice people stems from your little experience. I drove the car for 4 years and I can tell you that paying 100 rubles bribe even for a 5km speed limit violation is not a nice thing. Let's swap our passports. I promise to swap them back in a year. It will make you a new person. Or continue dreaming about Smolensk and holding the touristy, matreshka and borsch view of Russia. Just remember one thing: if you are not welcome in your own country you will hardly be welcome elsewhere. Not as a tourist or as an expat with creamy salary, I mean.
    About those acquitted: those were Chechens, and the Russian Kremlin-based mafia is laundering a lot of money there at present. There is no immediate need for gulag when you are doing that - printing the money and laundering it.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........

I don't believe 99% of what I hear. My personal experiences don't match them nor does what I have seen. Save the garbage RL unless you have irrefutable proof.
    110% agree.
    Maybe we have been lucky,but in my 5 years living here I don't have any horror stroies to tell.I've been to hospitals visited place outside of Moscow and so on,but all I have seen are good things and been treated well.
    One short story for you all,the wife was driving in the night,she forgot to put on the lights,the so called dreaded police pulled her over.The wife was shitting bricks(thought she would pay a fine),the cop smiled and told her what's wrong and waved her on her way.
    We always hear about all the shite that goes on in Russia,but never the good times.
    It aint all that bad.
    Last edited by Judge; 21-02-2009 at 22:38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast