littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Struggling with a foreign language?

Struggling with a foreign language?

Came across this interesting article today......I'd actually heard similar from a Russian teacher a few years ago, she told me "Don't try too hard to understand everything, just let the language wash over you and you'll get a feel for the rhythm and pattern of the language".....

Victoria News Article

Quote Originally Posted by mosaikmum View Post
    Came across this interesting article today......I'd actually heard similar from a Russian teacher a few years ago, she told me "Don't try too hard to understand everything, just let the language wash over you and you'll get a feel for the rhythm and pattern of the language".....

Victoria News Article
    I want to believe it because once you start getting into the rules, you will notice there are just as many exceptions to the rules as well. But once you start observing how people speak, read it and use it, it sounds a lot better than in the class without knowing the rules. I think you need a combination of both but just dont spend too much effort understanding everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RRM View Post
    I want to believe it because once you start getting into the rules, you will notice there are just as many exceptions to the rules as well. But once you start observing how people speak, read it and use it, it sounds a lot better than in the class without knowing the rules. I think you need a combination of both but just dont spend too much effort understanding everything.
    That's how we learn out native tongues, isn't it? More by copying what we hear and studying it later.
    You say "potato." I say "vodka."

This is like the same approach my russian teacher is applying.

First of all I have to say I am mess learning languages.

I got a bit upset a while ago and told him that it seems I'm not learning anything. Just pronounciation of words I cannot read, and half of them I forget the meaning after one day.
    He told me not to worry and to continue, that I will be able in some more time to understand.
    The only thing I can say is that I hope so.

But in many ways it is like how I learned Italian, I went there, went to school for one week and after that while working I picked up the language.

But I do not feel that for Russian it is the same, as it also concerns a different alphabet and cannot be compared to other languages I know.

Herald

Quote Originally Posted by mosaikmum View Post

Victoria News Article

Quote Originally Posted by MissAnnElk View Post
    That's how we learn out native tongues, isn't it? More by copying what we hear and studying it later.
    Precisely! Which is why native speakers are usually terrible at telling the rules of their native language. And make ridiculous mistakes (like "your" instead of "you're" for the English speakers).
    A modest girl never pursues a man. Nor does a mousetrap pursue a mouse.

Perhaps he holds stock in Ipod!

I think we should all just face the fact that most people just suck at learning languages.

Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    I think we should all just face the fact that most people just suck at learning languages.
    I know I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamodeus View Post
    Precisely! Which is why native speakers are usually terrible at telling the rules of their native language. And make ridiculous mistakes (like "your" instead of "you're" for the English speakers).
    I guess you are right. And this is why you will never understand a phrase with russians F-words learning the language just using school rules I'm Russian and work in UK. Never seen "#ocking hell!" in a school book! And have never heard it living in USA as well. So if you not living in a country and not speaking to natives it's very difficult to start speaking well.

PS. the more I deal with Scots the more I realize I can't speak English

Quote Originally Posted by germes View Post
    PS. the more I deal with Scots the more I realize I can't speak English
    Or maybe, the more you deal with Scots the more you realize they can't speak English.
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.