littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Some Helpful Kitchen Hints

Some Helpful Kitchen Hints

I hope these may be of use to some people out there. I am bored right now so I am posting these to have something to do:

MEAT HINTS:

Bacon
    To keep bacon slices from sticking together, roll the package into a tube shape and secure with a rubber band before refrigerating.

To prevent bacon from curling, dip the strips in cold water before frying.

Bacon will lie flat in the pan if you prick it thoroughly with a fork as it fries.

Basting
    Use the leafy ends of a celery stalk for basting meat, chicken or fish. No greasy brush to clean!

Hamburgers
    For juicier hamburgers, add one stiffly beaten egg white to each pound of ground meat.

Poke a hole in the middle of hamburger patties while shaping them. The burgers will cook faster, and the holes will disappear when done.

Marinating
    Combine marinade ingredients in a plastic bag and squeeze to blend them. Add the meat; seal the bag, removing as much air from it as possible. Turn the bag rather than turning the meat itself.

Marinating meat overnight will reduce cooking time by almost half.

Meatloaf
    Brush cold water over the top of your meatloaf to prevent it from cracking.

To avoid grease on the bottom of the pan when you bake a meat loaf, line the bottom with bread slices and place the meat loaf directly on top. When you lift the meat out of the pan, discard the grease-soaked bread, or use tin foil.

Meatloaf will not stick if you place a strip of bacon on the bottom of the pan.

Roasting
    To keep roast meat or poultry from sticking to the pan, place it on a row of celery stalks and carrot sticks that have been tossed with a little salad oil. Roast as usual. You don't need a roasting rack.

When cooking a beef roast, save the pan juice and freeze it in ice cube trays. Wrap the solid cubes in foil and store in the freezer for instant beef stock for soup or stew. (I never tried this one but a friend told me about this and does this.)

Allow a roast to stand for 15 minutes before removing it from the oven. This will ease slicing.

Steaks
    To keep them flat when cooking, cut several nicks in the fat all around the piece of meat with kitchen scissors to prevent it from curling.

Tenderizing
    Rub both sides of tough meat with a mixture of vinegar and olive oil. Let it stand for two hours before cooking.

Add a tablespoon of vinegar to the cooking water before boiling meat.

FISH AND SEAFOOD HINTS

Here are some tips for buying a fresh fish: The eyes are slightly protruded, bright and clear. The gills should be red or pink. A stale fish has eyes that are pink, sunken and cloudy, and the gills are gray.

To get rid of odors while cooking fish, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar (any variety) to 2 cups of water, then simmer it in a small saucepan while the fish is cooking.

When baking fish, lay it on a bed of thinly sliced onions, parsley and lettuce leaves. The fish won't stick, it will have a savory taste, and pan drippings will have a wonderful flavor, also.

The rule-of-thumb for baking fish is to measure fish at the thickest part and bake 10 minutes at 350F for every inch measured. For example, a 1 1/2-inch thick cod steak would bake 15 minutes at 350F.

Thaw frozen fish in milk. The milk draws out the frozen taste and provides a fresh-caught flavor.

Shrimp
    Get rid of the canned taste in canned shrimp by soaking them in a little sherry and 2 tablespoons vinegar for about 15 minutes.
    OR
    You can improve the taste of canned shrimp by rinsing well with cold water then soaking in a little white wine before using.

EGG HINTS
    Fresh eggs are rough and chalky in appearance. Old eggs are smooth and shiny.
    OR
    To test for freshness, put the egg in a bowl of cold water. If it sinks, it's fresh. If it's fairly fresh, it will bob up on one end. If it's stale, it will float.

To determine whether an egg is hardboiled, spin it. If it spins round and round, it is hardboiled. If it wobbles and will not spin, it is raw.

Pierce the end of an egg with a pin, and it will not break when placed in boiling water.

Eggs beat up fluffier when not too cold. They should be at cool room temperature for best results.

If you drop an egg on the floor, generously sprinkle salt over it
    and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes. You can then sweep the dried egg into a dustpan.

GENERAL CLEANING HINTS

Broiler
    When broiling, put a cup of water in the bottom of the broiler pan before starting. Cleanup is easier, and the drippings create instant gravy. This also eliminates smoke.

Cutting Board
    To rid cutting board of onion, garlic or fish smell, cut a lime or lemon in two and rub the surface with the cut side of the fruit.

Pour liquid bleach on the cutting board to clean and sanitize it. Rinse well, then apply a bit of mineral oil.

Pour liquid bleach on the cutting board to clean and sanitize it. Rinse well, then apply a bit of mineral oil.

To make a stained cutting board look like new, mix a couple teaspoons of liquid bleach into a dishpan full of warm water. Scrub the board. Rinse the board several times with very hot water.

Minimize stains and cover scratches by rubbing mineral oil on surfaces. Mineral oil is odor-free and nontoxic.

Can Opener
    Loosen grime from a can opener by brushing with an old toothbrush. To thoroughly clean blades, run a paper towel through the cutting process.

China
    To remove coffee or tea stains and cigarette burns from fine china, rub with a damp cloth dipped in baking soda.

Coffee Pot
    Perk one tablespoon powder dishwashing detergent and a full pot of water through the coffeemaker to get it clean without any scrubbing.

Crystal
    Vinegar is a must when washing crystal. Rinse in 1 part vinegar to 3 parts warm water. Air dry. Crystal will be spotless!

Food Grinder
    After using a food grinder, get all the ground material out and make the grinder much easier to clean by running a slice of bread through it before dismantling.

Freezer
    A piece of charcoal in your freezer will keep it smelling sweet.

Sink
    If your drain is clogged with grease, pour in a cup each of salt and baking soda followed by a kettle of boiling water. This will usually open the drain.

Hope it helped

Printing the entire list now. You da man!
    Proudly sitting down to pee since 1989

boscoe Guest
    Why didn't you just post the link - there are more good tips on that site...

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitche...tchenhint.html

Was going to do that, but I did that before and I got hit with PMs asking me if I knew how to do this or that and so I put on here the ones I thought would be most relevant and resourceful for Moscow.

But I'll do that next time

Can Opener
    Loosen grime from a can opener by brushing with an old toothbrush. To thoroughly clean blades, run a paper towel through the cutting process.

Food Grinder
    After using a food grinder, get all the ground material out and make the grinder much easier to clean by running a slice of bread through it before dismantling.

This works, but paper and bread dull blades, so you end up with clean but relatively useless cutters