littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Calls To+From Russia

Phill Guest

Phone Calls To+From Russia

Hello everyone,

My name's Phill, Im living in london at the moment but im travelling to Moscow in about three weeks to work for a few months. Im just interested to know whether anyone knows of any cheap deals or ways to make and receive calls cheaply between England and Russia, and if so how to do it or which companies are good to go through?

As far as i can tell, the prices of companies such at O2 etc are extortionate, and i'd like to sort something out either before I go or once i get there.

Thanks very much,

Phill

Incidentally, since im going to be all new to these Russian shenanigans, if there's any English or Russian speakers out there who want to introduce me to the Russian way of life, im all up for a shot or thirty-five of vodka and to meet some friendly faces! I'll be in Russia from 26th september, living in Yasinevo and working near Mayakovskaya. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Phone calls from Russia to (fill in the western country) are best made with a prepaid calling card. The company I use charges 10 cents a minute to the US. It's gotta be lower to the UK. Their name is Telemost and also known as BudgetCalls and further known as DENTEL. You can order their cards with FREE DELIVERY in Moscow at 095-253-99-07. However, they don't speak English so be prepared to talk Russian when you order.
    That's me, as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!

Phill Guest

Thanks

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated. I'll give them a call once i arrive there. Let's just hope my Russian holds up....

Hi! my card is much cheaper - i pay 4 cents per minute to call to europe and usa, it's a Mango card called "Call home"
    Anyway if you need some help here, you can always contact me via email, I live near Mayakovskaya, can show you some nice places and all, but unfortunately my English is not so good really.
    Ok, will be happy to help you somehow,
    helen

Originally posted by NesyA
    Hi! my card is much cheaper - i pay 4 cents per minute to call to europe and usa, it's a Mango card called "Call home"
    Anyway if you need some help here, you can always contact me via email, I live near Mayakovskaya, can show you some nice places and all, but unfortunately my English is not so good really.
    Ok, will be happy to help you somehow,
    helen
    I looked at those cards and some others, but what I found was that even though they advertised 4 cents per minute, it was only at certain times of the day and week. When I started keeping track of my account, I was getting charged as much as 20 cents a minute for some calls and a minimum of 4 cents a minute at the correct times. However, I never did figure out when the 4 cents a minute applied. It seemed like they had a random number generator when they charged me? Maybe it's changed since then? I don't know.
    That's me, as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!

anyone got some good advice on a card for australia?

i pay about $1.40 a minute at the moment...was thinking of buying shares in rostelecom just to get a cut of the fortune they make out of me!

Re: Phone Calls To+From Russia

Originally posted by Phill
    living in Yasinevo and working near Mayakovskaya.
    You're gonna love the commute !

P.I.M.P. is offline Pukh - The Other White Meat®
    I use my mobile to call the US when I don't have time to buy a calling card.

Megafon charges 22 cents a minute. A lot cheaper than a land line.

i just found out that applies all over the world, pimp. megafon it is.
    Last edited by Ned Kelly; 09-09-2004 at 14:22.

Try http://www.callingcards.com
    I always use the clear choice card. They allow you to recharge so you can stick with the same pin.
    Still in the U.S.

Originally posted by yankee@moscow
    I looked at those cards and some others, but what I found was that even though they advertised 4 cents per minute, it was only at certain times of the day and week. When I started keeping track of my account, I was getting charged as much as 20 cents a minute for some calls and a minimum of 4 cents a minute at the correct times. However, I never did figure out when the 4 cents a minute applied. It seemed like they had a random number generator when they charged me? Maybe it's changed since then? I don't know.
    I don't reallya think so, I call to Italy, Germany and US almost everyday and it's always 4 cents. More than that they do charge for seconds, not for minutes!! And the connection is good.
    I always buy a card of 10 dollars and it goes for 250 minutes. try it.

I call russia from the UK using a service called telediscount - costs me 2p a minute to russian landlines and 5p a min to russian mobiles

Chris - can you give any more details? Do you just dial an access number from your uk phone, and then the Russian number? If so, how is it billed - through your BT bill?

sure thing - firstly, yes it's just an access number from the UK phone - and then the russian number (just listen for the prompt to do so).

It is billed through your BT bill - think it was listed as 'special service' on my items list.

08444 620 620 is the number for calling landlines.
    08445 660 660 is the number for calling mobiles.

Can call other countries at different rates too - current information is available at : http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php

been using them for a fair while and no hidden charges or anything else dodgy that I can see

now if only I could find work out in Moscow I'll be a happy man....

alexm Guest
    I am offering a new telephone service which offers a US, UK, German and MOSCOW telephone numbers AND unlimited calling to and from USA, UK , Western Europe and Moscow starting at $24.99. No extra equipment or internet connection required. Contact if interested - dorisamalex@msn.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast