littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: VolgOgrad

VolgOgrad

Joking apart, getting the transliterated English spelling right is actually very important. When someone looks for the city name it will use that form which is regarded as the norm ... and in this case this norm is VolgOgrad and not VolgAgrad.

So I think that if this section of the website wants to enjoy success, somebody needs to change its name to VolgOgrad!

Cheers
    Tas

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Joking apart, getting the transliterated English spelling right is actually very important. When someone looks for the city name it will use that form which is regarded as the norm ... and in this case this norm is VolgOgrad and not VolgAgrad.

So I think that if this section of the website wants to enjoy success, somebody needs to change its name to VolgOgrad!

Cheers
    Tas

It's all part of the fun during off-time when we're not telling Irish jokes, you see?-PP

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

I thought it was Vulvagrad
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    I thought it was Vulvagrad
    Maybe that's what Stalin saw in the city... so perhaps I should take a look around down there before my visa runs out LOL!

It is quite a nice city... safe... and people very friendly... cafe in central square frequented by local mafia... with beautiful waitresses.... but prices at that establishment reminiscent of Moscow.... I would like to go back sometime now it comes to mind... one of the nicer cities and much more preferable than NN for a visit imho...

Antiq Guest
    Well, one my Swedish friend called it "VOLVOgrad" - I was laughing all the evening long

Quote Originally Posted by privet2009 View Post
    It is quite a nice city... safe... and people very friendly... cafe in central square frequented by local mafia... with beautiful waitresses.... but prices at that establishment reminiscent of Moscow.... I would like to go back sometime now it comes to mind... one of the nicer cities and much more preferable than NN for a visit imho...
    Can't say anything about the mafia, but the rest is true, so true - beautiful, very beautiful!
    In Guus We Trust

My close relatives live there. Great city, and a very beautiful one, by the way. Got a lot of memorials dedicated to Soviet soldiers who didn't let the Nazis cross Volga.

[lang=fr]Definitely one the most beautiful city I visited so far in Russia. I strongly recommend it, especially on the 9th of May[/lang]