littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: empires

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,657
    Thanked: 0

    empires

    i was trying to find something positive in the current european olympic malaise so i thought i'd rearrange the gold tally according to 19th century empires.

    so we have:

    the british empire: 7 gold (australia 6, south africa 1)

    the russian empire: 3 gold (ukraine 2, russia 1)

    the austro-hungarian empire: 3 gold (italy 2, hungary 1)

    the ottoman empire: 3 gold (turkey 2, greece 1)

    the german empire: 2 gold (germany)

    obviously once poland wins a gold it'll be a russia-germany 60:40 split.

    kind of almost makes the brits lookrespectable ...still doesn;t do anything about chinese dominance though!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,319
    Thanked: 0
    You need to get yourself a tamagocci or something Ned.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    855
    Thanked: 0
    Patriotism aside, the summer olympics are a crashing bore. Yachting, Greco-Roman wrestling pommel horse jumping, womens weight-lifting. Who can stay awake for this stuff? Give me a rerun of Wheel-of-Fortune any day.

    Now the winter olympics--there's some action! Downhill skiing at 75 MPH, skelaton sledding, high octane hockey games--there's some REAL a**kickng excitement.

    Wake me up when the synchronized swimming is over.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,319
    Thanked: 0
    I'm all for a compromised rules games. Women's weight lifting on ice gets my vote every time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,657
    Thanked: 0
    Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
    You need to get yourself a tamagocci or something Ned.
    i've already got my invisible dog that sits next to the rubbish bin here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    855
    Thanked: 0
    Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
    I'm all for a compromised rules games. Women's weight lifting on ice gets my vote every time.
    Great idea, Sid! We could have them lift weights in those cute little figure skating outfits.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,022
    Thanked: 0
    Women's power-lifting can be fun - try to spot the one who looks the most like an actual woman and rate the moustaches on the rest.
    Proudly sitting down to pee since 1989

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    174
    Thanked: 0

    Summer olymics are great!

    C'mon you guys! The SUMMER OLYMIPICS! Women's gymnastics. N'uf said.

  9. #9
    DPG Guest
    Originally posted by sfjohns67
    Women's power-lifting can be fun - try to spot the one who looks the most like an actual woman and rate the moustaches on the rest.
    When women do olympic lifts it is the only time you can shout "nice snatch" to a complete stranger and not get a slap in the face!!!

  10. #10
    sir Gay Guest
    Originally posted by pengwn9
    Patriotism aside, the summer olympics are a crashing bore. Yachting, Greco-Roman wrestling pommel horse jumping, womens weight-lifting. Who can stay awake for this stuff? Give me a rerun of Wheel-of-Fortune any day.

    Now the winter olympics--there's some action! Downhill skiing at 75 MPH, skelaton sledding, high octane hockey games--there's some REAL a**kickng excitement.

    Wake me up when the synchronized swimming is over.
    maybe they should think about adding two biggest entertaining perversions to the olympic programme: grass hockey and ice ballet?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    where the grass is greener
    Posts
    1,684
    Thanked: 0

    Re: empires

    Originally posted by Ned Kelly
    i was trying to find something positive in the current european olympic malaise so i thought i'd rearrange the gold tally according to 19th century empires.

    so we have:

    the british empire: 7 gold (australia 6, south africa 1)

    the russian empire: 3 gold (ukraine 2, russia 1)

    the austro-hungarian empire: 3 gold (italy 2, hungary 1)

    the ottoman empire: 3 gold (turkey 2, greece 1)

    the german empire: 2 gold (germany)

    obviously once poland wins a gold it'll be a russia-germany 60:40 split.

    kind of almost makes the brits lookrespectable ...still doesn;t do anything about chinese dominance though!
    if you wanna crush chinese dominance make a medals/population list. it's no big deal if you can produce a gold medal out of a billion, but a gold medal out of 1 million is a different story i guess... well, maybe not...

    in such a list my country would be beating a bunch of empires... i bet midas wouldn't like that...
    i saw that list for the sydney 2000 games... australia was in 4th, cuba in 5th!

    i'm happy with that
    vegetables are better than humans.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    855
    Thanked: 0
    Grass hockey=La crosse. Not a bad game in the off season absence of real hockey.

    Ice ballet=figure skating. Already got it.

    Summer olympics still a sleeper. Check the news. They can't give the tickets away for free in Athens.
    Last edited by pengwn9; 17-08-2004 at 12:24.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanked: 0
    Part of the prob is the bubbles didn't allow any airline to expand its regular timetable ...all flights are rammo with people ..just going on holiday etc ..try getting a flight to go for the games nahh

    Lets face facts people we are dealing with the bubbles here !
    Champagne the best lager money can buy

  14. #14
    DJ Biscuit's Avatar
    DJ Biscuit is offline Life will not break your heart. It'll crush it.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    9,398
    Thanked: 0
    I've seen bigger crowds at Tottenham Vs. Preston North End on a rainy Wednesday night in November!

    Bubbles Haven't heard that in a while.

    But then would you watch any of those 'sports' normally. I mean if they had clay pigeon shooting regularly on TV on a Saturday night would you stay in for it?
    I'm a celebrity - get me out of here!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanked: 0
    I bet you've watched Tractor pulling on Eurosport though ........

    Champagne the best lager money can buy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •