littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Sports Car

Sports Car

I would like to drive around Eastern Europe in a sports car, including driving it into Russia. The car stands out and is rare. It can only be started by the key. I'm afraid I'll be car jacked there or confiscated by the police. Does it even have a chance or am I just asking for it?

Unfortunately, it's hard to imagine what you might have that isn't here already, as far as auto exotica goes Russia's knee deep in it, I suspect there might be an outside chance of losing anything with a Mclaren badge on it, F1's still have huge rarity value, but the SLR is reasonably passe - you've got everychance of somebody offering you a cash deal if you've got a Veron, Enzo or a Ford GT otherwise be prepared to be ignored. As far as Sportscars go, other than the GT, Americana doesn't really do it for your average Russian enthusiast.

If you want to have people stop and stare and swoon, Belfast is the place to be, (especially if you look a bit like Eddie Jordan) and a great deal of Italy.

If you want to do an insurance deal and have your car stolen, Serbia, Naples and Bulgaria have very efficient systems, however you'll only get the rare ones stolen if all the Golf's, fabias and Astra's have been nicked already.

Very best regards

Matt

Driving in Russia in a sports car is like draggin your &$ss on the asphalt
    Sorry, but might be quite bumpy...
    Never, Never Give In.

It is a GT. Does that mean it'll most likely be stolen? In case I do need cash what kind of offers do you get for one these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeniusz View Post
    It is a GT. Does that mean it'll most likely be stolen? In case I do need cash what kind of offers do you get for one these days?
    how old is it?

would have thought somwhere in the range of 70k - 150

I think maybe it would be a little too optimistic to plan on 150 pounds, probably a lot closer to the bottom end of Isee's estimate given the current economic climate, these cars are quite available, plenty German yuppies feeling the need - I think absolute top price, for an on the road duty paid car would be around 115, which means for you cash in hand around 85/90k with a tax laibility, if you drive the car in as a temporary export you'll also be liable for Russian income tax and a possible fine - tax would be charged on an imputed profit not the whole value at 30%.

cheers

Matt

What about a Mustang GT?

Gypsy is offline All sixes and sevens and nines
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeniusz View Post
    What about a Mustang GT?
    If a modern one then Albertina's advice is good. There is one at my building and the lovely front spoiler has been smashed by hitting a bump in the road.

I would stay out of Russia - it will be a police magnet. Budget A LOT for bribes and fines.
    Don't you know this deuce is still wild.

If all the paperwork is correct and you know the rules of the road in the various countries it will not be a problem. Perhaps somewhere someone will take an interest in your car and try to steal it, s!#t happens. The roads are in relatively good shape but this is not autobahn country. I would rather make the drive in a Ford Explorer than a Mustang. If you have low profile tires you will regret the drive. I would also think that unless you are a good mechanic that you may have some problems getting service and finding parts in the event that you do need them.
    Find a friend and take trains.

Gypsy is offline All sixes and sevens and nines
    Quote Originally Posted by adamst56 View Post
    If all the paperwork is correct and you know the rules of the road in the various countries it will not be a problem. Perhaps somewhere someone will take an interest in your car and try to steal it, s!#t happens. The roads are in relatively good shape but this is not autobahn country. I would rather make the drive in a Ford Explorer than a Mustang. If you have low profile tires you will regret the drive. I would also think that unless you are a good mechanic that you may have some problems getting service and finding parts in the event that you do need them.
    Find a friend and take trains.
    What he said.

Good advice.
    Don't you know this deuce is still wild.

Hello There

I've got a Germany registered Porsche Cayman S and I intend to bring it to Moscow.

1. How much does a secure car parking space cost in central moscow.

2. I will only be using the car on weekend trips to the Baltics and Belarus, plus the odd mid-week drive to a restaurant or something in downtown Moscow. Is it worth bothering bringing the car at all to Moscow or is the the police hassle and the risk of it being hijacked or stolen just too much to cope with.

Cheers

MG
    "The first half was even, the second half was even worse."