littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Arrangement with cleaning ladies

Arrangement with cleaning ladies

I'm wondering how do you let more or less a stranger to your apartment, where you might have jewelry or other valuables.
    I used to have cleaning ladies in the past, but for some reason can't exactly trust the keys now to anyone.
    Do I need to buy a safe and screw it into the wall? Do I have to be at home for half of the day?!
    Never, Never Give In.

Quote Originally Posted by Albertina View Post
    I'm wondering how do you let more or less a stranger to your apartment, where you might have jewelry or other valuables.
    I used to have cleaning ladies in the past, but for some reason can't exactly trust the keys now to anyone.
    Do I need to buy a safe and screw it into the wall? Do I have to be at home for half of the day?!
    Okay. I don't have one here, but I have had them in the past.

You come at it from several angles.

1. You try to get references. If others thought she was okay, she probably was.

2. You get a photocopy of her passport or other ID type documents so you can hunt her down and kill her if she steals from you.

3. Then, you treat her like she is going to be an honorable, decent human being. Most likely she is.

Look, she wants the job, and if she steals from you, she's going to get sacked.

My bigger problem is that my vacuum is sort of temperamental, and the last cleaning lady I had complained about it, and I don't want to buy a new vacuum and I am sort of embarassed to show it to a new cleaning lady, and it is a %$#&*@ DYSON for, Pete's sake!
    You say "potato." I say "vodka."

Transparent Theatre is offline ungrateful child of the liberal bourgeousie
    I waited in for a few hours the first month or so. Now I trust her and don't wait the whole time, but I like to at least see her at some point each week, if only to tell her what to iron etc.
    "Any society is only three square meals away from a Revolution".

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent Theatre View Post
    I waited in for a few hours the first month or so. Now I trust her and don't wait the whole time, but I like to at least see her at some point each week, if only to tell her what to iron etc.
    Agreed! And don't be afraid to "pop in" unexpectedly from time to time. I do this with babysitters, too. Most of the time I call or text first, but sometimes I just come home early.

But, again, I think there is a lot to be said for treating people well. I used to have a cleaner who came every day, from 8 until 5. If she was done, I sent her home early. If she had to take a kid to the doctor, I paid her anyhow. I knew she'd make up the time somehow later.

The saddest story I ever heard was from a friend who said that the first day of work, her new cleaner, at the end of the day, opened her purse to show that she hadn't stolen anything (not in Moscow, but I don't think that matters). My friend almost cried. She told the woman, "I trust you to watch my child from time to time. What makes you think I would expect you to steal my silverware?" The employee, of course, was a jewel.

I suspect that most cleaners like working for expats. We pay better and we generally treat employees well. They want to stay in this circle. Yeah, we may leave, but we will refer them to someone else. It's not worth it to them to f$%& that up. Not if they are smart.
    You say "potato." I say "vodka."

Quote Originally Posted by Transparent Theatre View Post
    I think this is the best....and not only with cleaners/nannies but with others from your surrounding....

Best way is to feel yourself what kind of person is in front of you....

And after that - it is your choice, to trust him/her, to leave tet-a-tet with jewels, kids, e t.c. or better to find someone else))))
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.

DBND is offline Retired, but still not so very far away
    Now where did you say you stored your valuables?
    Last edited by DBND; 31-10-2008 at 23:23.
    Look around!

Does anyone how much approximately it costs to have a cleaning lady in Moscow? And I accept suggestions and recommendations also. But I don't speak russian, so someone who speaks a little bit of english would be necessary.

Thanks.

Cost of cleaning lady

about 200 roubles an hour in the centre ...

My cleaning lady charges just under 200 rubles an hour. Rosanna's thorough, sweet and trustworthy. She was recommended to me by about 3 of my friends. She prefers daytime hours, if possible.

She's Philippino and her English is pretty good.

Rosanna: 8-926-429-15-89

Cara

I know this is an old post for the OP but if people will use this for reference....I recommend locking up jewelry and not just leaving it lying about. I would have most put away, but the pieces i had just worn were sometimes out. Also as was mentioned come home at various times. Ask that they do not lock the door by Turning the lock, only with the key so you can get in without them opening. I notice when they think you are away they will often leave early...or if you go for a few weeks, tell them they only need to come in right before you leave, they will likely do that anyway. I learned all these things by chance. Having Jewlery disappear, coming home early and coming from trips early. This was with more than one cleaner but it all rang true as far as the skipping work. The stealing was hit or miss. They often take small things that they think you will not miss or food, sugar. I discovered they even carried Bags to put things in. Best to be home unexpectedly. I even had one steal mouthwash, I had just bought a new bottle, came home and it was almost empty. I may be cynical but I now think it is a good idea to say you have cameras even if you do not. I tried the be nice thing but as a foreigner you are more at risk because they think they can get more over on you. If you have a good cleaner you are lucky having cleaners in common with others works for stealing well but not the skipping off. I hate to be told it will cost this much because of the size of the apartment and then find they leave early, two/three hours when you are not home. And leave things unfinished like ironing etc. Of course they will tell you they do not have time but if you know when they leave....and when they are supposed to leave... Anyway my advice monitor, monitor, monitor, you may feel mean but your life will be easier. And one last thing, do not say when you will be home, say you are not sure yet

Trust no one!

And no one hurts you!
    I never leave my apartment unattended!!! I had cleaners come once at 11. Can we really be sure to hide everything that should be hid? It's a risk dude

Well, if you don't trust a housekeeper or just scared they might steal your money or jewelry's.just put a video camera inside your house or ask for documents..

One of my friends is a doomsdayer - he thinks a huge crisis is coming and all of the money in banks will disappear. So he used to keep lots of gold in his house. I say "used to", because it was stolen by his housekeeper's gang. His safe was hidden under carpet and stuck into the ground with concrete, but they still found it and figured out how to steal it... by cutting it out with a diamond saw.

The housekeeper was hired through an agency which claimed that their staff were checked. I would be suspicious of any such claims, because logic tells me that hiring staff through an agency is just paying money for nothing. Russian internal passports don't have many security features, so it's very easy to forge them. Therefore, checking documents means nothing.

So I suggest you find a housekeeper through your friends or colleagues. Someone who you know will surely have a relative or friend who is looking for some part time work.

Edit: P.s. and this happened in Spain, not Russia. The gang was Romanian. Does it surprise anyone?
    Last edited by DavidB; 07-07-2012 at 22:43. Reason: More information

I suggest not keeping large quantities of gold in your house...

www.bullionvault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I suggest not keeping large quantities of gold in your house...

www.bullionvault.com
    I agree, but this guy is a conspiracy theorist. He wouldn't leave his gold with someone else... they could be connected to the government. He's always telling me about the fact that when you buy gold, you have to declare the address where you're planning to keep it, and in 1939 many people's gold was taken by the government to fund wars.

Anyway, he doesn't have any gold these days, so it's no longer a problem.