littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expat quandary

Expat quandary

a friend has to make a decisision. My thoughts are that expatriates often face such decisions in Russia.

1. new job - 6k a month and flat, but about 6 hrs from Moscow
    2. a job 3k month in Moscow

The second offers work permit etc where as the first offers bonuses and $$$'s.

My advice was to just go home and stop pissing around in this toilet of a country as every job is a dead end anyway.. he's forced to be illegal by the laws.. why bother?!

He stays for that age old reason and classic problem .. a girl! Now he could get a girl somewhere else but apparently this example is special, extraordinary... etc.. I'm sure that will change once he's 6 hrs from Moscow, alone, and nobody to play tiddly winks with..huh..!?

Anyway, if you can throw some arguments - please do as he's doing my head in

6 hours in which direction ...East / West / North / South ?????
    Champagne the best lager money can buy

Where's the girl? Six hours from Moscow, or in Moscow?

And is she high-maintenance? Will he need the extra $$$?

Well it is a simple solution, life is more impotant, yes we need money to live, but without love and a life, what is the point
    Life is what you make it, we can ALL find negatives in everything, me, I prefer to see the positive, but hey, that's just me..

Originally posted by moscowmail
    Well it is a simple solution, life is more impotant, yes we need money to live, but without love and a life, what is the point
    Wow thats deep for this time in the morning !!!
    Champagne the best lager money can buy

I know, I am sorry
    Life is what you make it, we can ALL find negatives in everything, me, I prefer to see the positive, but hey, that's just me..

kniga is offline Objects in mirror may be larger than they appear
    If the lady in question is in Moscow, take the three month gig and look for something else in the meantime. Six hours from Moscow is going to be a lot rougher place to live than Moscow, and three months should either strengthen the relationship with the lady or see it come unglued. Three months should buy valuable time on both fronts.

Good advice Kniga

Love and life

but that's really risky isn't it?

I'm actually worried about his state of mind. He used to be a player but he's all loved up.

Ok, it's nice... it's lovely... another one bites the dust.

But if he took the $$$'s he would save up quicker... and the Nischny job would help him see if he is in love or not - challenge him. But as he said, he lost his way a bit - got caught up in being somebody he wasn't.... slept with a blur of women... and woke up every morning with an inconsolable emptiness.

I actually think he's terrified of commitment. I know he was heaviliy let down a few years ago, but this seems to have filtered into his work ethic too - like he doesn't really care enough about himself to actually care about what he does anymore...

I think he should stay in Moscow because if he goes of to a village he'll just get nailed again by loneliness and start playing tiddliwinks with the locals..

But that money is tempting, ain't it!

kniga is offline Objects in mirror may be larger than they appear
    If he has fallen into the Tender Trap, he'll have to extricate himself by himself, as advice will fall upon deaf ears...

Kniga

what is a 'tender trap'?

Sorry, bit slow this morning... Mxhito Monday at Molly's still slurring around my brain cell.

he has fallen into the Tender Trap=he has fallen in love

Am I right in my guess?
    Hi, I'm Olga.
    Learning English since 1991. Estudiando español desde 2010.
    ...and I don't like lilies.

KNIIIIIGAAAAHHHHHH

Wake up!

DO you mean a 'tender' as in how much is the job? Or 'tender' as in Elvis Presley lome me tender etc..

Hu... what?

i'd stay at the 3k in mockba. it's more than i'm dredging up now. =P
    never believe anything until it has been officially denied

I agree with both Lyndsay and Len (who I didn't realise was capable of such wise profundity but I so am in tune with him here!) and got out of Moscow for the reasons Len states but I don't regret the years I spent there as I said in an earlier post as I got excellent teaching experience and marvellous medical treatment. You really sometimes do reach a crossroads though where you have to balance the minuses against the pluses. 'Love' can be fleeting unless it's based on something solid and the people have known each other for a while and as I say, it should be based on reality and not some romantic dream. It that is all he's staying for then I feel it's a mistake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast