littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Mobile modem for laptop - what's available in Moscow?

Mobile modem for laptop - what's available in Moscow?

I am trying to find a mobile modem to use on my laptop in and around Moscow and possibly to use when roaming as well. Does anyone know what is available from the different providers (MTS etc) ?

Transparent Theatre is offline ungrateful child of the liberal bourgeousie
    Do you want to use an existing sim-card, or are you open to sign-ups with other networks?

I have several friends who use SkyLink. This is NOT a mobile-phone set-up (you cannot use the sim to make or receive calls), but it works over a modified 3G network. Impressive broadband-like speeds and helpful service. But roaming only works in Moscow region or St Petersburg - nowhere else has this technology yet.
    "Any society is only three square meals away from a Revolution".

Own card ?

Frankly I don't know. I assume this will be a dedicated modem arrangement (i.e. it's own sim card) rather than being able to use the sim card in my mobile phone. I don't want to be switching cards anyway but maybe this is not necessary on a shared number? I know that rates for this service can currently be exorbitant compared to regular home broadband. Comparable (and competitive) European rates are currently about 20 euro per gigabyte. It would be interesting to hear what the local arrangements (or Skylink) are charging per gigabyte? Cost to buy the modem (Huawei E169) on a prepaid (i.e. non contract) basis is about 100 euro which includes 2 gigabytes of usage (or net cost of about 60 euros).

Transparent Theatre is offline ungrateful child of the liberal bourgeousie
    You're right that it's dearer of course - but you can't make a direct comparison between a fixed service at home, and one that allows you to log-on anywhere in town or the suburbs

You should check-out the offerings of MTS and Megaphon too, of course - but check the speed issue!!
    "Any society is only three square meals away from a Revolution".