littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

Read this article at lunch today. Curious to hear the opinions of all of my cyber-friends here.

----------------
    Russia Ranked 57th-Nicest Place to Live

By Anatoly Medetsky
    Staff Writer The United Nations has ranked Russia the 57th-best country to live in, calling it "remarkable progress" from last year's ranking of 63rd.

Russia is sandwiched between Bulgaria and Libya, ranked 56th and 58th, respectively, while Norway has retained the top spot on the annual human development index compiled by the UN Development Program.

The index measures 177 countries in terms of life expectancy, education level and adjusted real income. It is based on 2002 statistics, the latest that are available.

Norway is followed in the top 10 by Sweden, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, Iceland, the United States, Japan and Ireland. Sierra Leone is at the bottom of the list.

Russia's location on the index puts it in the category of countries with "medium human development," but close to the top 55 countries, which are considered to have "high human development."

UNDP praised Russia's leap forward. "We consider it as remarkable progress," said Viktoria Zotikova, UNDP spokeswoman in Moscow.

Russia probably made further progress during 2003, she said. The key factor holding the country back is life expectancy, which was 66.7 years in 2002, she said.

The countries at the top of the index have life expectancies of around 80 years. The country with the next-lowest life expectancy on the index is No. 78 Kazakhstan, at 66.2 years.

The UNDP rating puts Russia above all the other former Soviet republics except those in the Baltics: Estonia (36), Lithuania (41) and Latvia (50). Russia is also ahead of China, ranked 94th.

By some counts Russia beat even Norway. It has 420 physicians for every 100,000 people, compared to Norway's 367 physicians, according to the index.

Zotikova downplayed the figure. "The number of doctors doesn't directly testify to a high level of healthcare," she said.

Vladimir Pribylovsky, head of the Panorama think tank on domestic policy, said the UN report does not reflect reality. "I don't see a trend toward a better life," he said. "Maybe life in Uzbekistan and Belarus got worse then, and that's why our rating rose."

The painful social reform that is in the pipeline for next year -- the replacement of many privileges for veterans, pensioners and other low-income people with cash payments -- may further worsen living standards, he said. "Up to 70 percent of the people will suffer from that," Pribylovsky said.

The economy may also weaken if an AIDS epidemic hits in several years, killing hundreds of thousands of people annually, as projected by UN experts.

Russia, however, does have some positive trends. For instance, the birth rate has grown in a number of regions, although it is still below the death rate, Interfax reported earlier this year.

Shaun is offline when the saints go marching in...
    I am not sure i agree with the high ranking, but more to the point I dont get why people feel the need for league tables - I mean what the hell kind of a statistic is 'your country is number 132 to live in'... pretty pointless

Try to forget about the actual number for a minute. That's not the point. The point is comparing Russia in terms of other places in the world to live.

The point of the article seemed to be that Russia has improved but they did not support their point well. As someone pointed out maybe other places got worse. Statistics can be made to say whatever you want. I found the article rather empty.

DJ Biscuit is offline Life will not break your heart. It'll crush it.
    To understand the ranking fully JD you have to realise that the report is several hundred pages long, I have been trying to read it for a week now! This article is simply informing us of the fact that the report has come out.
    I'm a celebrity - get me out of here!

kak Guest
    Originally posted by Ghost
    Try to forget about the actual number for a minute. That's not the point. The point is comparing Russia in terms of other places in the world to live.
    others places in the world to live?

Lot et Garonne, south west of France
    Ask Boscoe if you need explanation

A view from my garden

kak Guest
    DJ where can i get this report? any link?

kak Guest
    Merci

C'est mon plaisir!

kak Guest
    btw DJ your link is for 2003, for 2004 go here: http://hdr.undp.org/reports/view_reports.cfm?year=2004

Yes, sorry, I am wading through them all and posted the one I am currently on. No idea why I am reading this, but got to keep the brain working somehow, n'est pas?

kak Guest

Fa-Q! Guest

And which tree do you live in?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast