littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should be the ideal salary package for moscow in recent times?

what should be the ideal salary package for moscow in recent times?

I am an indian expat working in middle east and I have an offer to relocate to moscow as operations manager and they are offering me USD 3000. I need to take care of my family accomodation in that. I have read most valuable inputs from the expats in this forum about cost of living and life in moscow. I will appreciate if you can suggest me about this package and what i should ask for? thanks

Let me just say this, 3000 USD is nowhere near enough to support yourself and your family in Moscow. 3000 USD may only cover your accomodation expenses, or may not, depending where you want to live. At least double what they are offering.

I agree that it seems low. It will make your life much simpler if you can negotiate a package including visa support, accommodation and health insurance, and schooling if you have children. Otherwise you need to factor these costs into the salary you request. The cost of accommodation will obviously depend on the size of your family and where in the city you want to live, but you should not expect to pay less than $2000 a month. Tell us more about your family and we may be able to give you some more specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 米乐龙 View Post
    Let me just say this, 3000 USD is nowhere near enough to support yourself and your family in Moscow. 3000 USD may only cover your accomodation expenses, or may not, depending where you want to live. At least double what they are offering.
    Ha! What a joke. 3K US per month is more than enough for you and your family unless you plan to live in the center and eat at the most expensive restaurants. Take the offer. Don't blow the deal by demanding DOUBLE what they are offering. What bad advice someone would give. Good luck to you and your family!

Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    Ha! What a joke. 3K US per month is more than enough for you and your family unless you plan to live in the center and eat at the most expensive restaurants. Take the offer. Don't blow the deal by demanding DOUBLE what they are offering. What bad advice someone would give. Good luck to you and your family!
    I am not sure that you are talking about Moscow... and I must agree with previous opinions, that 3K US per month is not enough for a life in Moscow... Especially not if he is going to pay for rent himself from his salary... and if possible he should try to negotiate for a package including visa support and health insurance (as Kartoshka suggested)...

traveller is correct. dont ruin your deal. If they are Russian company they will just find somebody else....3000USD is fine. You can find an apartment at any place off the end of the metro for about 1000USD. they rest is more than enough to supprt a family for food and additional things!!!

Well, 3000 usd is not bad in moscow actually. But it will be ideal for you if the company could cover the accomodation. Then you will live a good conditions here. I think this is negotiable with companies. But again, it isn't bad.The more the better

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    dont ruin your deal. If they are Russian company they will just find somebody else....3000USD is fine. You can find an apartment at any place off the end of the metro for about 1000USD. they rest is more than enough to supprt a family for food and additional things!!!
    Perhaps, however I don't call 3000 USD much of a "deal". The OP asked what the "ideal salary package" is, however 3000 USD is not "ideal", definitely not for an expat, wife, and kids. I think you would agree that simply surviving on 3000 USD is not what the OP should be coming to Moscow for.

You are forgetting holidays, trips back to India to see family, schooling, clothing + ... retirement. Forget buying a family car, you will have to drag your kids through the metro... from the last station I might add.

To the OP, at least ask for accomodation to be included.

What? I think it's you that is giving bad advice! There is no way on earth I'd bring my family to live in Moscow for $3000 per month, my two bed apartment costs more than that!
    Do as I say, not as I do…

Quote Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
    What? I think it's you that is giving bad advice! There is no way on earth I'd bring my family to live in Moscow for $3000 per month, my two bed apartment costs more than that!
    Dear All,

Thank you very much to all of you for your opinions, I am really confuse now, let me make it more clear. I have a 2 year old kid and company has offered $3000 + visa cost and paid yearly vacations. The job will be based in and around moscow taking care of few distant locations. I need to be stationed at Moscow.

Can you suggest me what will be monthly house hold expenses? I am definetly looking for some saving at the end of the day. what deal i should try to negotiate? will $3000 + accomodation will be fair enough? I am a 12 years experienced IT proffessional.

Please guide me

Thanks
    Last edited by Rif; 15-09-2008 at 12:55.

In my opinion, you better insist on accomodation to be provided by your company. With 1000 usd you can rent only a one room flat. with 1000 euro you can find a two rooms flat but again not in center. Note, that to rent a flat from zero you will need three months rent at once (one month rent, one month deposit, one month rent price for agent).

I think you'd manage with $3000 plus accomodation but I don't think you'd be saving anything.

Quote Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
    I think you'd manage with $3000 plus accomodation but I don't think you'd be saving anything.
    What will be the monthly house hold expenses for the family of 3 excluding house rents?

Quote Originally Posted by Rif View Post
    Dear All,

Thank you very much to all of you for your opinions, I am really confuse now, let me make it more clear. I have a 2 year old kid and company has offered $3000 + visa cost and paid yearly vacations. The job will be based in and around moscow taking care of few distant locations. I need to be stationed at Moscow.

Can you suggest me what will be monthly house hold expenses? I am definetly looking for some saving at the end of the day. what deal i should try to negotiate? will $3000 + accomodation will be fair enough? I am a 12 years experienced IT proffessional.

Please guide me

Thanks
    Here is the facts:
    1) you can easily find an apartment in Moscow for 1000USD a month. It will be basic apartment. Not euro remont, silver and gold toilets in security protected area like these silver spoon in the mouth expats )and I am one of them! minus the silver spoon up the arse ).
    2) living expenses for 2 including food, metro and transportation. can easily be done for 1000 USD per month. this will leave you with 1000 USD for extras including health care, savings and entertainment.
    Do not do your self a disfavor listening to these scary stories from expats working for financial companies making 6000 to 10000USD each month. they are at the top end of the feeding chain and do not respresent the norm.
    The fact is that most Russians have very good lives on a far smaller salary.

Now the fact that you are an IT manager is different. If you do a search of jobs in Moscow you will see most IT managers make over 4000USD. But that is a salaray issue and dependant on your experience. You should search job sites for IT positions in Moscow. and compare your qualifications. I myself now nothing about IT. I would say that you are your own best critic in terms of your experience and what it will "buy" for you in the Russian job market if you know the base salaries in question.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    Here is the facts:
    1) you can easily find an apartment in Moscow for 1000USD a month. It will be basic apartment. Not euro remont, silver and gold toilets in security protected area like these silver spoon in the mouth expats )and I am one of them! minus the silver spoon up the arse ).
    2) living expenses for 2 including food, metro and transportation. can easily be done for 1000 USD per month. this will leave you with 1000 USD for extras including health care, savings and entertainment.
    Do not do your self a disfavor listening to these scary stories from expats working for financial companies making 6000 to 10000USD each month. they are at the top end of the feeding chain and do not respresent the norm.
    The fact is that most Russians have very good lives on a far smaller salary.

Now the fact that you are an IT manager is different. If you do a search of jobs in Moscow you will see most IT managers make over 4000USD. But that is a salaray issue and dependant on your experience. You should search job sites for IT positions in Moscow. and compare your qualifications. I myself now nothing about IT. I would say that you are your own best critic in terms of your experience and what it will "buy" for you in the Russian job market if you know the base salaries in question.
    You'd better like palmini and stale bread, living in a slum, traveling for hours on an over crowded metro and not going out more than once a month.

Beach Bum, you and I have a different definition of living... but your nic probably should have given that away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast