littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Good evening Bels and anyone else!

Good evening Bels and anyone else!

I have read the posting by Thomas stwalley from July on this forum. It seems NOT ALL of the English teaching adventures are living in flop houses around Moscow. He claims to be making around $5000 K /mo. Even if he makes half, it is enough to get by on. I read while searching online HALF of the adventurer kids out there move on after a one season hitch. The turnover is 50 % ...Would you say this is true ? My wife says I should do something , and I will look into courses online as I can not travel to Toronto or N.Y. for classes. What is accepteable to get a position I have read about Trinity and CELTA. I had NO IDEA what "Trinity"was until tonight. I seriously expect Americans know little about England other than the "Beetles and London" . "I am not sure if the quotation marks are correct "! The one problem about the CELTA I read is they MAY NOT give one the pass grade "at thier whim". Why rely on them then and what about TESOL and other ratings ? I would also like to look into "business English". I have seen that with the population of Moscow, there must be PLENTY of people that do not speak English ! When in Warsaw 7 yrs ago, "they were helpless". and this was in the center of the city !

Although some don't need a celta or Trinity or the equivelent in Moscow or anywhere else in Europe or probably the rest of the world, in your case i really do believe you need it.

There is a fulltime one month course at BKC where you will not only learn the theory of teaching English, but you will also need to learn the practice of teaching. To be recognised as an EFL teacher you really must get the celta, Trinity or an equivelent. I strongly suggest that you visit your nearest college, and ask for a TEFL or TESOL course right away! As there is bound to be one near you! You will not b accapted unless you have learnt the theory and the practise of of teaching over a minimum of about 120 hours.

And yes I do believe you need the values of that training as well as that peice of paper you will be offered at the end.

At BKC i will cost you about 900. Forget about the distance courses, as they are a waste of your precious time, and it won't be recognised.

Quote Originally Posted by albina View Post
    I have read the posting by Thomas stwalley from July on this forum. It seems NOT ALL of the English teaching adventures are living in flop houses around Moscow. He claims to be making around $5000 K /mo. Even if he makes half, it is enough to get by on. I read while searching online HALF of the adventurer kids out there move on after a one season hitch. The turnover is 50 % ...Would you say this is true ? My wife says I should do something , and I will look into courses online as I can not travel to Toronto or N.Y. for classes. What is accepteable to get a position I have read about Trinity and CELTA. I had NO IDEA what "Trinity"was until tonight. I seriously expect Americans know little about England other than the "Beetles and London" . "I am not sure if the quotation marks are correct "! The one problem about the CELTA I read is they MAY NOT give one the pass grade "at thier whim". Why rely on them then and what about TESOL and other ratings ? I would also like to look into "business English". I have seen that with the population of Moscow, there must be PLENTY of people that do not speak English ! When in Warsaw 7 yrs ago, "they were helpless". and this was in the center of the city !

Maybe your wife could look into teaching as well. She could work during the day while your daughter is at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kartoshka View Post
    Maybe your wife could look into teaching as well. She could work during the day while your daughter is at school.
    Yes good idea, however you cannot be dependant on these schools to look after you with property costs etc as a family. Your wife might well also be usefull as an administrator, getting all your private customers of which will need as also working for a school. To get a fulltime day in teaching you need to be able to teach children, teenagers, and adults. Adults are normally only present in the evenings upto 9pm, children in the mornings, and teenagers in the afternoon, and that's the way it is. You are more profitable in teaching small groups as there is a higher demand. Rather than one to one as there are few prepared to pay 2000p per academic hour, unless you have developed a clientele, and that will take you a few years to develop.

If you are both prepared to work very hard, you might just make it. But believe me, don't believe it's easy, as it's not.

◀► ◢◤

Quote Originally Posted by xSnoofovich View Post
    Is that all you have to say, come on we want more!

Also Albina, especially if you don't get a proper work contract here, you are going to need a lot of help from your Russian wife on the redtape side, as I assume you don't speak Russian, and yor ten year old daughter doesn't either?

Yes there's no doubt about it, travelling to another country as a single person is adventurous, and I know a lot about that! But travelling to another country with the responsibility of a family together, now that takes a lot of thought and careful planning. I'm now planning for my home country, but even that needs careful thought, because it's not just me I'm thinking about. At first I thought a family of four, but now I realise that we can't leave babooshka behind, as she's not fit enough to be left alone, as my wife is afraid she'll blow the flat up, or she won't be able to take care of herself. She can see or move about, and sh'e so wide she can't even get on a bus.