PDA

View Full Version : Winter clothes for newborn & 2 year old

jigger
20-08-2003, 19:54
Advice needed from experienced mothers.

I am coming to Moscow to live in November for first time. My question is - do I buy English winter clothes before I move or assume that clothes are available and more suitable if bought in Russia?

And also - where am I going to be looking for them when I get to Moscow?

Silly questionI know but I will have a 2 year odl and we are expecting our 2nd child in January which I understand to be quite a cold time of year!

Intourist
20-08-2003, 20:51
There are plenty of places selling children's clothes here. Mothercare has two or three stores, although by local standards, they're rather expensive. Chicco also has a few stores, also somewhat pricey.

A less expensive alternative is the the savyonok market at metro Savyolovskaya selling anything you need for babies from toys to clothes to food to carriages and so on. It's not really a market in the sense of Russian outdoor markets since it consists of enclosed pavilions, so it shouldn't scare you off.

Picante
20-08-2003, 21:43
Hi,

I have a 11 months baby and I do not have any trouble finding clothes for her here. Just like Intourist said, by far the best places are the "markets". There is another one outside metro Kolomenskaya.

Also you find: Toys R Us, Bosco de Ciliegi (Italian), Benetton or a Big Children's store called Detsky Mir (Children's World) but are expensive just like Mothercare and Chicco mentioned above.

If you need any more info let me know.

Cheers,

Picante.

bibliofil
21-08-2003, 10:26
Mothercare's prics in Moscow are twice of htose back in london. And they do not have George of Asda here. So no jeans for a fiver. Prepare to pay smth like twenty quid.

I would be interested to hear where to buy warm clothes for winter for a 2-years old girl? Sovienok?

Intourist
22-08-2003, 08:42
Savonyok has everything. Trust me. Prices run the gamut as does quality, you just have to explore the hundreds of different vendors.

Allenson
22-08-2003, 18:45
We buy all of our baby/kids clothes in the U.S. or in Europe when we go - it's cheaper, better quality and you can also find what you want much easier. I would suggest you purchase the necessities in England and bring them with (I know - it's a lot to lug), but the last thing you'll want to do just before or after having a baby is fight the crowds at the market looking for what you want.

(Don't bring diapers unless you want to use cloth ones - plenty here :D )

-an experienced father :p