PDA

View Full Version : The Aussies are looking like a bunch of very sore losers

Len Ganley Stance
22-08-2008, 13:24
Deary me, it would appear that the Aussies really have their undergarments in a bit of a tangle over Team GB's performance in Beijing. The following is from The Australian News -

Talk about a flag of convenience

NOT so fast, Sassenachs.

As it turns out, English sporting superiority over we antipodean colonials in Beijing - as if there could ever be such a thing - has been greatly exaggerated.

The Pommy gloating that has gone on for the past week over this supposed Olympic supremacy is based on nothing more than a sleight of hand.

It relies entirely on the old parlour trick of throwing Scots and Welsh and Northern Irish - as they have done whenever they have needed cannon fodder in wars - onto the Olympic podiums and having them sing God Save The Queen.

Australians who have been thrown into a bout of deep depression over having their colours lowered on the fields of play by the hapless Brits rest assured: yet again, we have won!

The English, population 60 million, have won nine gold medals at these Games.

Australia, with a third of the population - and in great part due to courageous young women from Queensland - has 11 golds.

The other seven claimed by the Poms were in fact won under the nonsensical banner of Great Britain with the help of the Scots and Welsh and a cyclist who was born in Belgium to an Australian father whose genes were obviously passed on.

Let us not even bother to discuss the contributions, especially in cycling where the British team claimed an astonishing eight medals, of Australian coaches who have fattened their bank accounts with British pounds.

Yet even with the billion dollars of lottery money at their disposal, we've beaten the Poms again. It serves to remind, as I often encourage Australians to do, of the inspired banner raised in London five years ago when the Socceroos beat Beckham's England, "If We Win This, You Suck at EVERYTHING".

The English born-and-bred gold medallists have been Christine Ohuruogu in the 400m, cyclists Victoria Pendleton (women's sprint) and Rebecca Romero (individual pursuit), double scull in rowing, all three sailing champions and, of course, swimmer Rebecca Adlington, whose success in the 400m and 800m freestyle prompted AOC chief John Coates to utter one of the immortal lines of these Olympics, "not bad for a country that has no swimming pools and very little soap".

The phenomenal success of cyclist Chris Hoy, the Flying Scotsman, was characterised by the First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond as a "Braveheart" moment, evoking quite clearly the memory of the legendary freedom fighter, William Wallace. And whose army was Wallace heroically battling?

Salmond even complained that the Chinese refused to allow Hoy to wrap himself in the Scottish Saltire.

The other cycling golds relied on a Welsh woman, Nicole Cooke (road race) and in the teams pursuit, another Welshman, Geraint Thomas, as well as Bradley Wiggins, who was born in Ghent to a Tasmanian father, Gary, who was a well-regarded cyclist. So cross those off the list, too.

In the men's four, one of the rowers, Tom James, is Welsh, while another, Pete Reed, was born in Seattle, so they're out, too.

There will be much squirming from the Poms over this revelation, but once you hear them objecting, ask in return: If there's a united Great Britain Olympic team, where is the British football team?

Now this cuts to the heart of using Britain when it's convenient and abandoning the whole notion when it's not.

Why isn't Great Britain represented in football? Because the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish have their own teams and would shudder at the thought of playing alongside the Poms.

So, if you can't field a British team in the most popular sport on earth, then why does one belong at the Olympics?

Nice try with your faux medal count, old chaps, and with another victory safely secured, we look forward to seeing you next July for the first Ashes Test at Sofia Gardens, which is, ironically, in Wales.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/beijing_olympics/story/ 0,27313,24221767-5016818,00.html

trebor
22-08-2008, 13:32
I just love it when the Australians start slagging off Britain.
Just ask them who's face is printed on all their Aussie dollars?
Now, why would that be? :doh:

Len Ganley Stance
22-08-2008, 13:50
I just love it when the Australians start slagging off Britain.
Just ask them who's face is printed on all their Aussie dollars?
Now, why would that be? :doh:

As the (Cricket) Barmy Army put it............

Convict Colony

(To the tune of Yellow Submarine)

In the town where I was born, there lived a man who was a thief
And he told me of his life, stealing bread and shagging sheep.
So they put him in the nick, and then a magistrate he went to see
He said "put him on a ship, to the convict colony"
You all live in a convict colony, a convict colony, a convict colony

Disclaimer : I'm Irish and much as I enjoy seeing the English lose at a fair few sports (particularly Football and like my fellow Irishmen and my Celtic cousins in Scotland and Wales, I particularly enjoy the seemingly never-ending-joke on how the the country who invented the game are actually rubbish at it), this article really got my goat. This is only a temporary condition however and normal service shall be resumed after the Olympic Games is finished.

Gypsy
22-08-2008, 13:55
As the (Cricket) Barmy Army put it............

Convict Colony

(To the tune of Yellow Submarine)

In the town where I was born, there lived a man who was a thief
And he told me of his life, stealing bread and shagging sheep.
So they put him in the nick, and then a magistrate he went to see
He said "put him on a ship, to the convict colony"

Disclaimer : I'm Irish and much as I enjoy seeing the English lose at a fair few sports (particularly Football and like my fellow Irishmen and my Celtic cousins in Scotland and Wales, I particularly enjoy the seemingly never-ending-joke on how the the country who invented the game are actually rubbish at it), this article really got my goat. This is only a temporary condition however and normal service shall be resumed after the Olympic Games is finished.
Indeed Trebor and LGS you are right.

In case anyone is interested in why it is GB that is competing and not England, Scotland,N.Ireland and Wales separately; it is Olympic Rules and is not our choice.

But typical whingeing Aussies.

pjw
22-08-2008, 23:10
Careful there lads, I got me eyes on you lot. This banter is liberties, a wind up :verymad: not impressed. Gonna go pearshaped ina minit. Stop taking the p you barmy lot :grind:

Len Ganley Stance
23-08-2008, 09:29
Careful there lads, I got me eyes on you lot. This banter is liberties, a wind up :verymad: not impressed. Gonna go pearshaped ina minit. Stop taking the p you barmy lot :grind:

Well, you did start it...............

Here's a site I found to get the medals tally up Overall Medal Standings - The official website of the BEIJING 2008 Olympic Games (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml) Any poms or Russians wanna bet a pint with me they get more medal action than Oz? I'm sure there are one or two dumbos that take me up on this:applause:I'll bet with anyone except Chinese. I'll consider Americans too:gay::gay:

:cheerleader: Disappointed bels, but I understand you. The British bulldog seems to have had his thingies cut off. Last Brit I ever even heard of at the Olympics was Daley Thompson :eh:

Bels
23-08-2008, 10:52
I wanna change my bet :) It's not the ozzies we are competing with, as they are no competition, it's the Russians who are a better match for us. We are going for the big ones :)

pjw
23-08-2008, 12:29
I wanna cang my bet :) It's not the ozzies we are competing with, as they are no competition, it's the Russians who are a better match for us. We are going for the big ones :)

:uk: Bels.
Please turn your f.ing spell-checker back on:vampire:It's like speaking to a dyslexic chinaman with a mouthful noodles in a hurry. I notice nobody wanted to bet with me btw:beerbros:

Bels
23-08-2008, 14:36
As I said I want to change my bet, I didn't know that we were going to 18 gold, yes 18 gold, and competing close to the Russians for third place in its last two days.

GOLD WAR II And Britain has nine more oppurtunities to get gold :) Go for it Britain.

BBC - 606 - - A39967465 - Gold War II: The Weekend (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A39967465)

Britain 18 golds for the moment.
Australia 13 golds

pjw
23-08-2008, 17:03
As I said I want to change my bet, I didn't know that we were going to 18 gold, yes 18 gold, and competing close to the Russians for third place in its last two days.

GOLD WAR II And Britain has nine more oppurtunities to get gold :) Go for it Britain.

BBC - 606 - - A39967465 - Gold War II: The Weekend (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A39967465)

Britain 18 golds for the moment.
Australia 13 golds

Britain shall win no more golds and shall remain under Russia. You have been defeated. Unfortunately for me, Germany got ahead of Oz and as a result I can no longer go outside. http://www.expat.ru/forum/local-pub/98885-quiz-time-prize-you-really-british-answers-accepted-until-31-august-2008-a.html#post429983

Bels
23-08-2008, 18:31
Britain shall win no more golds and shall remain under Russia. You have been defeated. Unfortunately for me, Germany got ahead of Oz and as a result I can no longer go outside. http://www.expat.ru/forum/local-pub/98885-quiz-time-prize-you-really-british-answers-accepted-until-31-august-2008-a.html#post429983

Britain got another gold. It's now 19, wouldn't it be nice to finish off with the twenty?
A great start for 2012 in London.

pjw
23-08-2008, 18:44
Just watch the early joy Bels because there's a German Shephard close on your tail, hungry, ready to snap and I'd laugh so loud and long if you got bit you know where :Loco:

Bels
23-08-2008, 18:50
Yep! the Ossie is surely sore:)

Anybody going for twenty golds for Britain. It's possible :) And then it's see you all in 2012.

We have already beaten the Russians, as Britain has vastly increased its performance, and Russia has deterriated over the years.

I bet there are more Brits very happy today in comparison the Russians.

And of course the Australians are very sore anmd upset :( Because the Brits have ot the Australians where they belong, down under :) the Brits.

pjw
23-08-2008, 19:15
With all respect Bels, your info is incorrect. Presently it's

3rd place Russia 21 gold 21 silver 27 bronze,
4th Great Britain 19 13 15,
5th Germany 16 10 15,
6th Australia 14 14 17,
7th Korea 13 10 8
8th Japan 9 6 10. Overall Medal Standings-The official website (http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml) So watch out behind you :uk:Bels and I'll take care not to get nipped by the little chihuahuas behind me :ninja: 14348

Bels
23-08-2008, 19:22
That's what I said, 19 golds for Britain. You were wrong, you said Britain wouldn't get anymore when we had eighteen.

And as I stated, and the link stated, it's a race with golds only, and even now we could move above Russia in golds. It's possible with only one day left.

But it doesn't matter, I'm sure all Brits will be happy with twenty golds or even 19. But I'm going for 20!! :) Simply because it's a nice round number.

trebor
23-08-2008, 22:30
That's what I said, 19 golds for Britain. You were wrong, you said Britain wouldn't get anymore when we had eighteen.

And as I stated, and the link stated, it's a race with golds only, and even now we could move above Russia in golds. It's possible with only one day left.

But it doesn't matter, I'm sure all Brits will be happy with twenty golds or even 19. But I'm going for 20!! :) Simply because it's a nice round number.

Bels, your right. It's a fantastic achievement all round by the British athletes.
The Aussie whinger is trying any way he can to make out we will finish as losers.
That can't happen, doesn't matter in what position we finish. 19 golds is 19 golds. A modern record for us. :mml:

pjw
24-08-2008, 00:28
Bels, your right. It's a fantastic achievement all round by the British athletes.
The Aussie whinger is trying any way he can to make out we will finish as losers.
That can't happen, doesn't matter in what position we finish. 19 golds is 19 golds. A modern record for us. :mml:

You're not a loser Trebor and I never said or implied you were. Neither in Olympics nor life. It was tongue in cheek what I said. I can't understand why you take banter to heart.

Trebor, what did I say that was whingey? Really. Or maybe I'm completely mistaken and there's another whingeing Aussie about. But I haven't seen any. You're funny Trebor :agree:

Rustralian
24-08-2008, 00:32
I agree, the British have done very well with these Olympic Games and have achieved a modern personal best for themselves. It is disappointing for Australians that we have not achieved as many gold medals as people would like, although I don't think the performance of our athletes is any less than any other country.

The difference is the attitude of the Government to sports funding - the Australian Government and sporting elite seem to think that they are best to put all the funding into the few areas where the strongest voices are heard and to hell with the rest - even though they are areas that could benefit from funding. As an example, from the last information I was given from some close friends who closely follow cycling, the budget for the British para-Olympic cycling team was greater than the entire Australian cycling budget.

While it is possibly a sad indictment on the modern era of sports, it does seem that funding provides good motivation for performance and without funding, performance falls away ... due possibly to lack of motivation, along with the obvious lack of elite training equipment and techniques and technology.

As for the Australian currency, the portrait on the Australian currency is that of Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of Australia ... that has nothing to do with Britain and was a choice made by the Australian people to have Queen Elizabeth II remain as the Sovereign of Australia. The Queen of Australia has no link to the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, apart from being the same person in both separate Constitutional Monarchy roles.

Gypsy
24-08-2008, 02:42
I agree, the British have done very well with these Olympic Games and have achieved a modern personal best for themselves. It is disappointing for Australians that we have not achieved as many gold medals as people would like, although I don't think the performance of our athletes is any less than any other country.

The difference is the attitude of the Government to sports funding - the Australian Government and sporting elite seem to think that they are best to put all the funding into the few areas where the strongest voices are heard and to hell with the rest - even though they are areas that could benefit from funding. As an example, from the last information I was given from some close friends who closely follow cycling, the budget for the British para-Olympic cycling team was greater than the entire Australian cycling budget.

While it is possibly a sad indictment on the modern era of sports, it does seem that funding provides good motivation for performance and without funding, performance falls away ... due possibly to lack of motivation, along with the obvious lack of elite training equipment and techniques and technology.

As for the Australian currency, the portrait on the Australian currency is that of Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of Australia ... that has nothing to do with Britain and was a choice made by the Australian people to have Queen Elizabeth II remain as the Sovereign of Australia. The Queen of Australia has no link to the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, apart from being the same person in both separate Constitutional Monarchy roles.
re Cycling, I'm amazed Aus is usually very good at cycling and have half a dozen in Europe on the professional tour, McEwen is the best sprinter in the world for my money so why cut back there?

Mad.

pjw
24-08-2008, 03:00
:uk: May I invite everyone Brits and non-Brits to take part in the British quiz? You could win a Bavarian beer gl**** with or without handle, or beermug. Your choice :uk:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/local-pub/98885-quiz-time-prize-you-really-british-answers-accepted-until-31-august-2008-a.html#post429983

ultimotattie
24-08-2008, 05:48
I only count Scottish gold, British gold is irrelevant...roll on the Commonwealth games!

trebor
24-08-2008, 09:03
You're not a loser Trebor and I never said or implied you were. Neither in Olympics nor life. It was tongue in cheek what I said. I can't understand why you take banter to heart.

Trebor, what did I say that was whingey? Really. Or maybe I'm completely mistaken and there's another whingeing Aussie about. But I haven't seen any. You're funny Trebor :agree:

Lighten up. I NEVER take anything on here seriously.
Now stop crying and get back to the banter! ;)

trebor
24-08-2008, 09:08
I only count Scottish gold..................

Which can usualy be done on one hand.

Len Ganley Stance
24-08-2008, 09:41
Which can usualy be done on one hand.

Whenever I hear something involving the words 'on one hand', I'm reminded of a joke about Jeremy Beadle., which goes something like 'Jeremy Beadle has a really small c*ck but on the other hand'.

Sorry, for hijacking now get back on thread.

trebor
24-08-2008, 10:32
Whenever I hear something involving the words 'on one hand', I'm reminded of a joke about Jeremy Beadle., which goes something like 'Jeremy Beadle has a really small c*ck but on the other hand'.

Sorry, for hijacking now get back on thread.

I believe as a kid he was real quick to pick up the rudiments of learning to tell the time.