PDA

View Full Version : What about permanent residency?

Canadiantraveler
21-08-2008, 17:07
Most of the discussion here is about the Temporary Residency Permit, which is great. I am just thinking long term here, has anyone gotten Permanent Residency? I am married to a Russian so this may be something we want to do one day, especially when we have children. I am catching bits of things one these threads and would like to know what is true:

1. Do you need to own property or can we just rent as long as we have a rental agreement?
2. Does it need to be above a certain size, for example if we have a child does the apartment has to be above a certain square footage?
3. If we have been married for more then three years can we apply for the Permanent Residency without getting a TRP first?
4. Is there anything else we should know about this permit?

Thanks

Bels
21-08-2008, 17:59
Most of the discussion here is about the Temporary Residency Permit, which is great. I am just thinking long term here, has anyone gotten Permanent Residency? I am married to a Russian so this may be something we want to do one day, especially when we have children. I am catching bits of things one these threads and would like to know what is true:

1. Do you need to own property or can we just rent as long as we have a rental agreement?
2. Does it need to be above a certain size, for example if we have a child does the apartment has to be above a certain square footage?
3. If we have been married for more then three years can we apply for the Permanent Residency without getting a TRP first?
4. Is there anything else we should know about this permit?

Well of course there is one advantage, you have three years without having to leave the country, and additional years if you apply for permanent.

Thanks

1. I'm not sure about this one, as wife owned the flat. But I have read somewhere providing you have a decent landlord, who will have to go somewhere, either FMS or a solicitor, and sign papers, it might be possible.
2. No problem if you own the flat, again I have heard of limitations if state owned, therefore it might apply to rented.
3. No, not in Russia. For example in UK there are advantages in being married three years, But not in Russia. You get your TRP first, and can apply for permanent after 1 year.
4. I suppose a lot, and has been covered many times in various threads here. To tell you the truth, I don't know what you already know, and what you need to know. There a lot to cover.

Sometimes I wonder if there is an advantage with TRP in comparison to someone with a stable work contract. For me it is a necassary advantage as I am self employed.

Canadiantraveler
21-08-2008, 18:45
I think for me as a women it is a big concern because when I have children I will not be able to to be under a work visa. I will want to take a year off I think.

Bels
21-08-2008, 20:05
I think for me as a women it is a big concern because when I have children I will not be able to to be under a work visa. I will want to take a year off I think.

For Fathers waiting for the results of an application for TRP they have to leave the country when visa time runs out, which is extremely unfortunate when the father's wife is pregnant or has a young baby. It happens. It's against human rights, let's be fair about this.

However some good news I got from my wife, Russia does recognise mothers who are pregnant, and a doctors note will suffice. They do recognise that it is against human rights to send a pregnant woman out of the country.

However we are not sure what happens when a foreign mother, a Russian husband with foreign Mother who has a Russian born baby or young child. Does the Mother have to leave the country on a visa trip? perhaps 90 days in? and 90 days out? What does she do with her Russian children? Is she forced to take them with her? And what about the poor Russian Father? Probably with a career in Russia.

And what about equal rights of the sexes!! ? :)

Fathers and Mothers. What's the legal difference?

Bels
21-08-2008, 20:09

Thankyou CanadianTraveller, you got me thinking on that one, and I think we have an international legal predicament here :)

And a political argument here also.:nono:

Bels
21-08-2008, 20:25
And just another little problem I've just realised. The Mother will need the Father's permission to let them out of the country. So Mother has to go, but she needs her baby :bomb: or young children.

OH wow ! am I confused ! And then what about foreign Fathers?? Can the go to Hell? Err! equal rights are in all civilised countries now.:eh:

nyinrussia
21-08-2008, 21:52
Okay, first even if you are pregnant which I am waiting for trp which I was and your visa runs out you do need to leave the country. Although 90 day out rule does not apply and you can renew in any country other than your own ( but I believe that only applies to people who have already handed in thier Trp application and our waiting for offical approval)

I think your best bet if you are married to a Russian husband is to start the TRP because permanent residency is not really permanent and once you are a TRP you qualify for some services medically and for your child if you become pregnant.

Now as for leaving the country by yourself I already have a toddler and you always have to have a copy of his birth certificate just in case. Although I have never been asked, it is also a good idea to get a notarized letter having the other parent give you permission, some countries request it but legally that is all you should need. Provided they have a passport.

Bels
21-08-2008, 22:51
Thank you and you are correct in what you say in your personal circumstances. But let's say a woman who is late in pregnancy, who is on visa of whatever, personal or business invitation. Married to a Russian and is late in pregnancy. For whatever reason she hasn't managed to get through all the medicals, receive the police chslateeck and get it legalised and translated.

Let us think about it, it's a lot of hard work for a family to deal with, when a woman is pregnant.

I say that a woman is allowed to stay in Russia with any form of form of visa, if she is pregnant. They will not send her home when her visa runs out. It's against human rights!!!!. So for example she is 7 months pregnant, married to a Russian!! and on a visa that is running out of its time, she doesn't have to leave.

All she needs is a doctor's letter of concern. That's it.

Fathers?? I'm still looking for the legislation to protect Fathers rights here, and I can't find it anywhere! After all they need to financially support this family!! not be pestered about having to travel out of country, costing them time and money, when they should be looking after their family!!

Bels
21-08-2008, 23:05
Do you realise that due to this government redtape, and the costs that could have been saved for a family? These costs could have been spent on a much needed automatic washing machine, clothes for our children, and decent food on the table. So all I can ask is stop pestering Russian families just because they happen to have a foreign partner. Becaause what happens is that they get so pissed off with Russian redtape and eventually want to go to the westerners country. I think that's what we all do in the end, and contribute to the drop in Russian population. As our Russian children come with us, and hence totally forget about being Russian, and think British, American, or whatever.

Canadiantraveler
22-08-2008, 02:40
And what about equal rights of the sexes!! ? :)

Fathers and Mothers. What's the legal difference?

Sorry Bels, I see how that sounded. I was mostly thinking though in the context of having to leave the country pregnant and not being able to maintain a teaching visa because I wouldn't be able to work for a while. I have been reading all the stories on here of you poor fathers and I feel awful for all of you just having to be away from you families, the stress, and the financial costs.

I have a very naive question. Has anyone ever tried writing to the Ministry directly? The local elected representative? Even the media? Maybe people don't do that in Russia. But most people don't do it in Canada either but having worked for the government I know they take that stuff seriously because they want to look good and be re-elected. I imagine some of you have tried this but I was just curious.

Penguin_The_Great
30-08-2008, 01:22

No, you don't have to be the owner, you just have to get owner's agreement - the same as for TRP.

Bels
30-08-2008, 12:57
Sorry Bels, I see how that sounded. I was mostly thinking though in the context of having to leave the country pregnant and not being able to maintain a teaching visa because I wouldn't be able to work for a while. I have been reading all the stories on here of you poor fathers and I feel awful for all of you just having to be away from you families, the stress, and the financial costs.

I have a very naive question. Has anyone ever tried writing to the Ministry directly? The local elected representative? Even the media? Maybe people don't do that in Russia. But most people don't do it in Canada either but having worked for the government I know they take that stuff seriously because they want to look good and be re-elected. I imagine some of you have tried this but I was just curious.

If I was in the UK I'd say yes to that ! I'd kick up a fuss for sure. But with all the redtape here, and the stupidity of the system to encourage bribes to civil servants etc, I've become so stunned that I now accept it. The same applies when you try to be self employed here, and start renting in public buildings for example. Its a big pain in the ***

Just like a russian :) I've learnt to groan and be patient, and it will all happen in the end. I hope! But my Russian wife is so getting so peeved off with it, and she's pushing me for us all to go to Britain.