PDA

View Full Version : British International School - opinions?

xt-tsi
22-06-2004, 18:13
Another thread has made comments about Russian schools but I'm seeing various comments here about the British International School. Several have said it's mediocre - anyone able to elaborate? It's getting to crunch time here...we're moving over to beautiful Moscow this summer...

Thanks!

XT

Bo Selecta!
24-06-2004, 15:42
Mediocre is certainly a nice way to describe some of the staff there- some of them are plain barmy

sugarbaby
07-07-2004, 21:30
I'm a student there. I've been studying there for three years. I wouldn't say the teachers are barmy...the 'bad' ones are leaving or have already left. Otherwise...the atmosphere there is more or less 'ok'. There's certainly a bit of tension between students from different nationalities. It's like this- there are two groups...the russians and the expats. The level of education is better than at the AAS (Anglo-American school), and I'd say that the BIS is better. From then on, it depends on which building you want your child/children to attend. I go to School 3 (secondary school in the southern campus).

irlandka
07-07-2004, 21:37
I am a tutor to a family who wants extra English for their BIS-enrolled kids. RE. English the success seems average (the non-native students are functional, but not fluent after 4 years there). RE. Russian my co-tutor says less then average. RE. the rest of the curriculum- I spent 3 lessons this past spring explaining the connection between the Romans and the Victorians to my student (grade 4) as there was no apparent "link" in the literature provided for their history lessons.
In my view, it is neither a "British" school, nor an "International" school, nor a "Russian" school. And I don't see how the curriculum can cover any of these.

sugarbaby
08-07-2004, 15:21
We follow the so called British curriculum. It can't be called a British School, as there is only one British family there, excluding the teachers. There is a great deal of Russian spirit within the school, and half the students there (approx) are Russian.

Bo Selecta!
08-07-2004, 20:38
Well I know two of the newly-employed teachers who are starting in September and they are barking- I don't know WHAT the HELL the school was thinking of employing them.

Diplomatka
09-07-2004, 13:19
Originally posted by sugarbaby
The level of education is better than at the AAS (Anglo-American school), and I'd say that the BIS is better.

I take exception to this statement, which has been repeated several times and/or hinted at in this forum. As far as I can tell (of course I may be wrong and I apologise if I am) most of the people who say this have no real data on which to base it. My children went to AAS and I was VERY happy with the level of education. Since the curriculum there is generally NOT based on any one specific curriculum, such as the British National Curriculum which I understand is followed at BIS, it is much more difficult to judge and compare the level of education there and at other schools - hence the tendency to say automatically that BIS is better. Another point is the natural or immediate association of AAS with American curriculae, which are generally considered to be rather less impressive than European or Far Eastern ones. Again, the curriculum at AAS is NOT based on any particular American curriculum; both the Lower School and the High School are authorised IB program schools and THAT is the type of curriculum that they follow.
The one subject which is easier to compare and which most people care about is mathematics; since my children are elementary school age I can't with honesty say whether the level is particularly good overall, but again, I was happy enough. At the beginning of the school year I was worried but as the months went on and I saw what they were learning, rather than what the curriculum stated rather woodenly, my worries disappeared.

uninformed
10-07-2004, 05:48
Originally posted by sugarbaby
I'm a student there. > The level of education is better than at the AAS (Anglo-American school), and I'd say that the BIS is better.

^^That is the opinion of a student - one who has never attended AAS. How could he/she know?

Diplomatka
10-07-2004, 11:25
Then why say BIS is better? You can say it's good without casting aspersions on other places. That's all I was trying to say. I do not know the level of education at BIS although I did know some people whose kids went to the elementary school in the South. They SAID they were happy there and the next year they moved ALL their kids to AAS. Maybe it was becasue of the wonderful facilities AAS has (and which you pay through the nose for...). Again, I do not pretend to know the level of education at BIS. It may be fine. If someone wants to know maybe they should go over to one or more of their campuses and try to find out for themselves.

uninformed
11-07-2004, 19:43
Originally posted by Diplomatka
Then why say BIS is better? You can say it's good without casting aspersions on other places. That's all I was trying to say. I do not know the level of education at BIS although I did know some people whose kids went to the elementary school in the South. They SAID they were happy there and the next year they moved ALL their kids to AAS. Maybe it was becasue of the wonderful facilities AAS has (and which you pay through the nose for...). Again, I do not pretend to know the level of education at BIS. It may be fine. If someone wants to know maybe they should go over to one or more of their campuses and try to find out for themselves. Agreed. Also, as posted elsewhere it seems that BIS has raised their rates to equal AAS. So the cost is the same, the facilities at AAS are far better, and the difference in the quality of the education at the two schools is unclear. I'd also guess that it varies by campus. There's always Hinkson which is good, cheaper, and fully expatriate.

Diplomatka
12-07-2004, 09:22
Originally posted by uninformed
There's always Hinkson which is good, cheaper, and fully expatriate.

IS it?

Bels
20-04-2008, 23:21
Interesting post from the past. look at the dates, but still worthwhile to reflect with the present and your future. An archive worth bring back.:11629: