PDA

View Full Version : Canceling Teaching Visa

Curt7z
12-08-2008, 14:30
Hello,

I need to cancel my Russian teaching visa because I want to leave at the end of the month. My school says they will need my passport (not just my green visa slip)for three weeks in order to do so. Obviously this sounds very wrong.

Could anyone please tell me how long it really takes to cancel my visa, and do they need my passport to do it.

Thanks,

xSnoofovich
12-08-2008, 14:31
Why don't you just leave Russia, and if you want to come back, just apply and get a new visa? Problem solved !

xSnoofovich
12-08-2008, 14:32
Besides - think about it - if they cancel your visa while you are still in Russia, how can you legally be in Russia? How can you leave Russia?

Bels
12-08-2008, 14:35
Not that I have experienced this situation, but why is it necessary to cancel your teaching visa or work permit?

By the way, you certainly don't cancel visas, you simply allow the visa to expire.

J.D.
12-08-2008, 14:37
Yes this sounds very wrong. You don't have to cancel your visa to leave. Your visa is canceled when they want to deport you. It sounds like either they don't know what they're doing, . . . or worse.
As the previous poster said, you can't exit the country without a valid visa.

Bels
12-08-2008, 14:40
I think he meant permit, but even then I say why bother.

christophercabotwood
12-08-2008, 22:10
Hi everybody.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I have a 1-year multiple entry with the 90/180 restriction. My first 90 is about up, but I am not ready to leave. Can I go home, void the current 1 year, get a new 90-day visa and return? Thanks in advance.

Bels
12-08-2008, 22:19
Hi everybody.

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I have a 1-year multiple entry with the 90/180 restriction. My first 90 is about up, but I am not ready to leave. Can I go home, void the current 1 year, get a new 90-day visa and return? Thanks in advance.

I assume you didn't have a work permit? Therefore on a multiple entry visa you have to return home within 90 days, and not return to Russia for a further ninety days.

Remington
12-08-2008, 23:07
Hi everybody.

Yes. You can with 90 days single or double entry visa since it does not fall under the 90/180 days rule. They will cancel out your 1 year ME visa though.

Larry Paradine
12-08-2008, 23:35
Kurt7Z: Is your teacher visa a single entry visa? If so, is it an entry only visa? In that case, you would need to go to OVIR for an exit visa, and this is something your employer should do for you. However, there's no need for you to part with your passport at all if you go to OVIR with your employer, and the three week stipulation is complete nonsense.

Lada
12-08-2008, 23:41
Hi, I have 7 years experience of expatriate things, so can give you some advises:
1) "Cancelling" is a wrong word. Actually, there is a possibility to reduce your visa validity, because until your visa is valid, you employer bears a responsability for you. Imagine, that they let you leave the country but you arrived later and ... for example ... was involved in illegal employment, crime or whatever...? And youstill have your ex-employer visa.
Passport and visa in originals are mandatory for such exercise. Usually takes 3 weeks, but if your company has a good visa agency, it may take even 1 day.
2) I would not play games with 90/180 days requirement. I think the new visa will help only once, for exapmle, if you apply from another inviting organization, but next ime it will be absolutely evident why you ask for another visa.

Bels
13-08-2008, 01:01
I just can't understand all the fuss, why can't he simply leave without all this nonsense. And besides, he should never be without his passport

Curt7z
13-08-2008, 10:16
Thank you for your replies.

I would normally just leave but they owe me a substantial amount of money that they only give after the last day of work.

The reason I am really freaking out is because I need my passport to get a work visa to another country. 3 weeks of my passport being in the OVIR or PUV to cancel a visa sounds absurd.

So what I so far understand is I have to go to the visa office with my sponsor and the process is quick. Would copies of my passport be fine in my and my passport's absence?

Bels
13-08-2008, 10:27
Yes I have to agree with you there, it is absurd. Are there any such experiences coming from employees of bigger schools such as BKC or LL. Because to be honest with you, I think they'd be too busy to be bothered with such nonsense.

Try offering going to FMS with your employer, they might give in , as it becomes their hassle, as much as yours.

If you go to FMS, they should issue with a temporary identity card with your photo.

Tara2007
15-08-2008, 11:11
Ok, I used to have the same situation with my former collegue.
Yes, it's correct that the company on which behalf your visa is issued is responsible for you and according to the rules (if be very strict to the papers) you have to do the following:
1) give your valid visa and passport to the responsible person
2) they would take it to the Moscow FMS and at the FMS they have not only cancel your visa, but give you a new one - for EXIT out of RUSSIA ONLY!
3) as I heard it takes about 10 working days

P.S. All recommendations I heard - if the company does not care about that visa and belive you (and ect) nobody do anything, you leave Russia on the current visa, it's expires and this is it. Yes, your company of course must return:1) your work permit 2) notify the authorities (FMS, tax auth, labour auth and ect) that such employee is not an employee any more and left the country on .... (within 3 days after your departure, as I know). - this is the most important part of it.
So for you, of course the P.S. variant is much better.