PDA

View Full Version : student

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 14:26
I have just re-started studying english and hired myself a damn cheap non qualified teacher.

I hope you do not mind if I here post from time to time some questions.

Here are the first two:

1)difference between "among" and "amongst"
2)difference between "from time to time" and "now and then"

Cheers

Your

Sal

Bels
31-07-2008, 14:40
It'll cost you 1,000 roubles. But first of all get out of the teacher's discussion folder and post it somewhere else.

Unless you were invited of course.

Bels
31-07-2008, 14:45
And you wouldn't happen to be on LSD at the moment, would you Sal?

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 15:10
Bels, where should I post this? Anyway write your reply, I am your student:10806:

elis
31-07-2008, 15:18

Here are the first two:

No difference. Although, in the US at least, amongst is rarely used. Also, "now and then" is usually "every now and then." I find that "every now and then" is more commonly used than "from time to time."

Also, rephrasing suggestion: I hope you do not mind if, from time to time, I post some questions here.

kirk10071
31-07-2008, 15:20
I have just re-started studying english and hired myself a damn cheap non qualified teacher.

Here are the first two:

Cheers

Your

Sal

My unqualified answer: Amongst is more British. I never use it. I always say "among."

There is not difference between "from time to time" and "now and then." I cannot think of any case where one would be appropriate and the other would not. Maybe someone else will be able to find a distinction.

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 16:02
thanks guys, despite Bels' rant I will keep this thread going

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 16:03
Elis, I like placing the adver after the verb. As same as in italian it kind of "strenghten" the phrase.

elis
31-07-2008, 16:11
Elis, I like placing the adver after the verb. As same as in italian it kind of "strenghten" the phrase.

I don't necessarily disagree. I've been known to say "that's why they call it an ad-verb." In this case, however, I don't think that "from time to time" qualifies as such. And, actually, it was more the position of your "here" that made the sentence awkward.

chertovka
31-07-2008, 16:30
Now the 'damn cheap non qualified teacher' will know his place! :11513:

Bels
31-07-2008, 16:59
I'm glad to see you're amongst friends Sal.

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 17:21
I don't necessarily disagree. I've been known to say "that's why they call it an ad-verb." In this case, however, I don't think that "from time to time" qualifies as such. And, actually, it was more the position of your "here" that made the sentence awkward.

my mistake. I meant the adver placed before the verb is more powerful.

I in front of everyone confess that...

I confess in front of everyone that...

I like more the first option, it is more pompous.

What was so awkward in my sentence?

SalTheReturn
31-07-2008, 17:22
I'm glad to see you're amongst friends Sal.

"amongst" sounds much more chic

Gypsy
31-07-2008, 19:32

Here are the first two:

Cheers

Your

Sal

I would use "amongst" if I was part of the group concerned, there seems something more personal about it; eg. amongst our group John was the best tennis player. Otherwise, among. eg he was first among equals.

Other one - I cannot see any difference.

And Sal - this seems as good a place to post english questions as any, so keep posting.

elis
31-07-2008, 19:43
I like more the first option, it is more pompous.

What was so awkward in my sentence?

"amongst" sounds much more chic

I think it's better to sound chic than pompous.

About the sentence, it was just worded in a fashion that no English speaker would use, although we all understood perfectly well. Was just putting in my 2 cents. See, I'm pretty damn cheap, too. :)