PDA

View Full Version : Need Expert Help!

sunshine4lb
31-07-2008, 12:49
I am an American married to a Russian citizen and have a 5 month old son. How can i obtain a Resident Visa? I have a business Visa that's valid till 2 1/2 months from now.

Can anyone advice me!

Bels
31-07-2008, 13:58
I am an American married to a Russian citizen and have a 5 month old son. How can i obtain a Resident Visa? I have a business Visa that's valid till 2 1/2 months from now.

Can anyone advice me!

First things first, is your child Russian born?

Bels
31-07-2008, 14:15
Next is to go straight to your nearest FMS with your Russian speaking spouse, and get the necessary papers to apply.

Also check up all the Residency permit threads here as some are pretty good, and I'm a little disappointed that a few of them haven't been made stickies, for it to be made easy for you to find.

Try this one to start you off: http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/61885-some-myths-about-temp-residenship.html

sunshine4lb
31-07-2008, 18:20
Thanks,

Well this is my story!

I was in CT, USA and moved to Dubai UAE when i was 16,
I met my wife when she was 13 there. In 2008 we got married and my son was born there. We decided on going to Russia together then move to USA and here we are. Oh and yes both my wife and son are russian since i don't meet the requirements to pass on the USA Passport to my son. It turn out to be that i have to be in the States 3 years after 14 and 2 years before that in order for my son to obtain the citizenship. Anyways he got the russian citizenship after hard work and frustrating paperwork in dubai. I came to russia through ukraine via train. It was not fun the first day when i was mugged in the train station and lost lots of documents and all my money! and the police just turned there face away and refused to open file/case. Since i lost my cash it has been very hard to move around. I request an emergency loan from my bank but i was dumb and canceled my UAE residence visa before i've left and my loan in rejected. I went to the US Embassy to see how i can get a visa for my wife and son to live & work back home but!!! they said i should have a resident visa here in moscow & wait 6 months for approval. Now i need to keep food on the table & try my best to move back to the states. So i am seeking help to find the cheapest way to get a resident visa to work and save enough to go back home. The best part is that i don't have time till my visit visa expires!

Any advice????

P.S. Even if i did get a work permit i am just wondering how can i get a job when i don't speak one russian word!!!

Bels
31-07-2008, 19:38
Now I undertand your heading, you do need expert help. I need to give this some thought to help you in some of the stages. I do hope that all members here who can help, please take this one seriously. I've had my problems such as losing my passport on a visa trip to UK, but this is more.

For the moment, may I suggest you make an appiontment with the consul at your American Embassy, and I really do hope that they listen to you, and help you as much as you can.

In regards of moving towards temporary residency, do you have a registered address, with Mother in law perhaps?

DDT
31-07-2008, 19:49
I am not clear. Were you born in USA and where is you wife and child now? I can only assume that neither of your parents were US citizens at the time of your birth is that correct? Is that why you can not confer US citizenship to you son? I have never heard of this. I thought that if you were born in America you were a US citizen by birth and your son could beget US citizenship as any other natural born American. Anyway it will take longer than 2 1/2 months to get temp residence.

DDT
31-07-2008, 19:52
Yeah I agree will Bels, you need to go to the US embassy and speak to US Citizen Services.

Bels
31-07-2008, 20:26
I am not clear. Were you born in USA and where is you wife and child now? I can only assume that neither of your parents were US citizens at the time of your birth is that correct? Is that why you can not confer US citizenship to you son? I have never heard of this. I thought that if you were born in America you were a US citizen by birth and your son could beget US citizenship as any other natural born American. Anyway it will take longer than 2 1/2 months to get temp residence.ou have no money

That's the problem, for some reason his son has no right to be American as explained. Laws seem more complicated in USA than Britain, because my son will have a British passport without a doubt. There is of course his wife needing entry into the USA immediately, and I can see that as a problem.

And of course there is the money factor, you have to get out, but you have no money. YES YOU NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR CONSUL. AND NO RUSSIAN NATIVE SECRATARIES. YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO THE MAIN MAN IN NASTIVE ENGLISH. Hopefully he's not away on a visit, like I've experienced in the past!

sunshine4lb
01-08-2008, 10:42
Now I undertand your heading, you do need expert help. I need to give this some thought to help you in some of the stages. I do hope that all members here who can help, please take this one seriously. I've had my problems such as losing my passport on a visa trip to UK, but this is more.

For the moment, may I suggest you make an appiontment with the consul at your American Embassy, and I really do hope that they listen to you, and help you as much as you can.

In regards of moving towards temporary residency, do you have a registered address, with Mother in law perhaps?

Well i did go to the Embassy so many times, but the best they can do is send only me back with an emergency loan without my family.
And yes I live now with my mother in-law

sunshine4lb
01-08-2008, 10:48
I am not clear. Were you born in USA and where is you wife and child now? I can only assume that neither of your parents were US citizens at the time of your birth is that correct? Is that why you can not confer US citizenship to you son? I have never heard of this. I thought that if you were born in America you were a US citizen by birth and your son could beget US citizenship as any other natural born American. Anyway it will take longer than 2 1/2 months to get temp residence.

I was born in Oklahoma and both of my parents were US Citizens and my father was a General in the US Army. My wife is russian and so is my son, and they are both with me now in moscow. Regarding the passport as they told me if both parents have US Passports then my son will get the passport with out questions. But when it is only one parent then the parent with the American citizen must submit evidence or proof of living on American soil at least 5 years. Two years must be before the age of 14.

The Traveler
01-08-2008, 11:06
He's right. His child wasn't born in the USA, it was born on foreign soil, and one parent is not an american. It usually doesn't cause problems, it just takes a little bit of time, but in his situation it certainly is a problem because he has no time, and no money, which are the two things that are the most important here.
My first suggestion would be to get your a$$ out of russia as fast as you can, before your visa expires. I understand that you have no money, but at the same time, if your visa expires and you're in russia illegally, you're going to have less than no money, and you can add lots of time to that as well, because they're not going to let you leave.
You don't speak a word of russian, your visa is going to expire, and you have no money. Although it's probably the last thing you want to do, from here, I would suggest you take the emergency loan and go back to the US without them. Once you get there, you can then file the proper documents, and bring them to the USA with you without any problem, not to mention that it's much easier for you to get money there than here. As soon as you get to the US, if you move quickly and have all your documents (childs birth certificate, marriage certificate, ect.) you should be able to have them there with you in less than a few months.

sunshine4lb
01-08-2008, 11:22
Well, I thought about that but my wife would not let me blink with out her.
So this is my Plan.

1. Make Resident Visa as fast and cheap as possible
(I will try to take a loan from family & friends)
2. Go to Ukraine before visa expires and come back with a fresh one.
(Because i don't need visa to enter Ukraine and there urgent russian visa take 4 hours only at $300)
3. Get Job somewhere,

Now this seems easy but i know it is not. What should i do now? How can i start my registration? What do i need? how much money do i need?

The Traveler
01-08-2008, 11:43
Well, it's your choice, and your situation. I myself would never rely on anything in the Ukraine to save me, because things there work...well...let's just say they are a bit behind everyone else in the scope of getting things done. And I wouldn't be surprised if your $300 doubles, because you're an American in distress. It's the Ukraine, not Dubai, and be careful when you're there. So in short, I wouldn't suggest it.
You first have to get an invitation for a Russian visa, but under these "emergency" circumstances, I don't know how that works exactly. Generally that invitation takes a while, and I've never seen it done in less than a week. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I personally have never seen it happen.
After you get the invitation you can then proceed to fill out your visa processing. Paperwork, fees, all that other junk, and it's hard to say the cost because different visa's cost different amounts depending on type, duration of stay, and speed of processing required.
When you get your visa you can enter into Russia again, but you have 3 days to register. Whoever you're living with (or some other person who will vouch for you) needs to go with you to the nearest registration office, and then you fill out your registration documents. But you're still not done...
If you want to work, you have to get an immigration card and a work permit, and that is a completely different story, with a new set of documentation and proccessing, and I'm not the person to ask about that because I've never needed one. But beware...without an immigration card, you can only stay in Russia for 60 days out of every 120. More than that, and you could be in trouble all over again.
So, as you see, this is why I reccommend that you just go back to the US. I don't think you have any idea what you're getting yourself into here. In my opinion, by the time you pay and wait for your invitaion, travel to the Ukraine, pay and wait for your visa, travel back to Russia, make your registration, and then start the process all over again for your immigration documents, you would have successfully completed all of this in the USA already, and your family could be on their way to you there.
The easiest and best option for you is really to go back, do it properly, and it will be much easier, faster, and possibly even cheaper. Good luck.

DDT
01-08-2008, 14:35
If you already have problems with money and you return to the USA. You will have problems getting a visa for your wife if you can't show that you have been earning 125% of the poverty level. That's $17,500 a year, maybe more since you have a baby too. You can get a co-sponsor if you don't meet their requirements so it is not necessarily a problem. I only mention this because if you don't have anyone in the US to send you money right now, how will you find a co-sponsor? So you should think twice about going back to the USA just yet. You would be stuck there for some time proving the INS that you can support you family. If you can get a well paying job right off, maybe it's worth it. It is not a simple process to get your family back to the USA. Look here;
VisaJourney.com (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?act=idx)

Also be careful what type of Russian visa you apply for. The i year multiple entry visas are now subject to a 90days in and then 90 days out rule. Other visas are not and can be renewed after 90 days in a nearby country. Don't worry about registering you can find plenty of agencies that will do that for you and even bend the rules a little.

PS I think it is pretty messed up the the US doesnt give your son citizenship in your situation. My sons have US and Australian citizenship and I was asked no such questions about my length of time in Australia by the Aussies.

Penguin_The_Great
10-08-2008, 01:41
Sunshine, to file for your Russian residency permit (what you are calling residency visa) youíll need criminal background check with an apostille. In you case Iím not sure if it should come from the US or whatever country you have actually resided. At any rate, to get one takes some time. So, that would be the first thing to look into if you decide to file for the residency permit. Iím not sure if you have time for that.

Even if you manage to file your application in 2,5 months, you would still need to leave Russia when your visa runs out because getting the permit takes about 6 months. So you would need to make a ďvisa runĒ.
Bear in mind that before you receive you permit and get employment authorization, you canít be legally employed in Russia.

Why donít you try to do this Ė find a company in Russia that will be willing to officially employ you (like a language school or something). Arrange for a work visa through them. Then you can be in Russia for as long as youíre employed and you can legally make money.
After 6 months file for a spouse visa for you wife through American Embassy. It should take 2-4 months to get approved.

You can also go to the US briefly and file for you wife and child there. However, it will take about a year to get approved. Besides, if you go back to Russia on anything but a work visa, you canít work legally.

And yes, you will need to find a co-sponsor to bring your wife and child into the US if you donít meet income requirements.

Hope this helps.

Bels
10-08-2008, 15:01
Thanks,

Well this is my story!

I was in CT, USA and moved to Dubai UAE when i was 16,
I met my wife when she was 13 there. In 2008 we got married and my son was born there. We decided on going to Russia together then move to USA and here we are. Oh and yes both my wife and son are russian since i don't meet the requirements to pass on the USA Passport to my son. It turn out to be that i have to be in the States 3 years after 14 and 2 years before that in order for my son to obtain the citizenship. Anyways he got the russian citizenship after hard work and frustrating paperwork in dubai. I came to russia through ukraine via train. It was not fun the first day when i was mugged in the train station and lost lots of documents and all my money! and the police just turned there face away and refused to open file/case. Since i lost my cash it has been very hard to move around. I request an emergency loan from my bank but i was dumb and canceled my UAE residence visa before i've left and my loan in rejected. I went to the US Embassy to see how i can get a visa for my wife and son to live & work back home but!!! they said i should have a resident visa here in moscow & wait 6 months for approval. Now i need to keep food on the table & try my best to move back to the states. So i am seeking help to find the cheapest way to get a resident visa to work and save enough to go back home. The best part is that i don't have time till my visit visa expires!

Any advice????

P.S. Even if i did get a work permit i am just wondering how can i get a job when i don't speak one russian word!!!

In answer to the boldened part, you need an expat job for English speakers, such as editor, proof reader or TEFL, to get bread on the table and to get yourself a work visa, so that you can stay in the country for a year, without being pestered.

Try here for starters, also try the classifieds jobs in Moscow Times.

Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php)

tefl.com