PDA

View Full Version : Blacklist awards = Berlitz

smiley
30-07-2008, 21:58
Berlitz Rus is hiring once again, and I wanted to warn the uninitiated out there that they are a very poorly-run organization and I would advise anyone against taking a job with them. The reason they are always hiring is that their teachers are always quitting. Avoid them like the plague.

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:10
What a stupid name for an English Language school. What's the word mean, is it German?

BERLITZ ?? ENGLISH ???

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 22:12
um, Berlitz is pretty famous worldwide.......

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:14
My guess it's a franchise, and that's their problem. It only works for Macdonalds.

Albertina
30-07-2008, 22:17
Berlitz is the name of a guy who 'invented' this method, which sucks, by the way :D

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:20
Now why didn't they come up with a name like Harvard

Oops somebody in Russia already tried that one :)

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:25
Berlitz is the name of a guy who 'invented' this method, which sucks, by the way :D

Is he English?

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:26
Oh please!! Not another EF with their own crappy course books! And famous to who, let's ask one thousand moscowvites in the streets of Moscow or London Who Blitz is. They will probably say something like it's to do with the bombings in the 2nd world war!

Famous!! Oh Please!!

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 22:27
my 2cents - The Bertlitz method works for some, and helps some to get better, while leaving others wanting.

I remember I had Berlitz tapes when I was younger, they were great ! I learned phrases, which, when looking back, was all I really wanted to learn at the time.

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:35
my 2cents - The Bertlitz method works for some, and helps some to get better, while leaving others wanting.

I remember I had Berlitz tapes when I was younger, they were great ! I learned phrases, which, when looking back, was all I really wanted to learn at the time.

Couldn't you learn the phrases yourself? Just get yourself a good phrasal dictionary, and I don't mean the Blitzer

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 22:41
Couldn't you learn the phrases yourself? Just get yourself a good phrasal dictionary, and I don't mean the Blitzer

No, because it doesn't work like that.

I wanted to speak a certain language, so, I bought a "course" and followed it. It was worth exactly what I paid for, since, looking back, I didn't really expect to be "fluent", I just wanted to really start on the road towards learning that language.

This was after reading the dictionary, memorizing some words, and then pretending I could speak a few words.

I was only 8 or 9 at the time.

Bels
30-07-2008, 22:56
Seriously though, due to personal experience, and contributing in a few teacher's forums I have learnt that new and probably Russian owned franchises do create their own problems. They employ cheap back-packing teachers here for a working holiday, who don't speak Russian. They then put them straight into teaching groups.

Any discussion between the student or parent of the students about the quality of the teacher's work is left to the non English, non professional receptionists at the entrance desk, of who have no idea about the profession of teaching. Of course the key professional teacher has no idea of what is going on.

Lack of communication, underrating the star employee in value and respect, are the main areas of failure in a language centre. After all, if a language shool hasn't got proffessional native teachers, it cannot function. Just the same as if Manchester United didn;'t have it's star players, it wouldn't be Manchester United.

Respect your stars, or don't bother being in business, that's what I say.

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 23:00
but check it out Bels- that is where you are wrong - it doesn't matter who ManU has as its players, they are still ManU.

And as for the teachers- it doesn't matter either, because, just like Mcdonalds, teachers are just a cog in the machine, which means replaceable, and non-important, in some aspects, just the same as you can replace your secretary, sure the atmosphere changes, but the show goes on.

Bels
30-07-2008, 23:09
But there are less of us here legal now :) As the Russian redtape gets tougher and tougher, and the inflation rate continues to rocket, there will be even less native teachers in the near future.

Just like Manchester United, there is a limited choice to pick out world class players. same as there is a limited choice in Russia to get English native teachers, so they need to be treated like any other valuable expat expects to be treated in Russia. Yes!! fees must go up!!

In regards to Mcdonalds, there is a choice from millions of Russians in Moscow to do the skills that are required fom Mcdonalds.

It's so funny though, as I've recently read one poster from a teacher's forum who claimed he earned the same as a Mcdonald's employee. :)

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 23:13
but Bels- the thing is, once you get to that level where you are actually hiring people, you will look back at this post, and understand what I am talking about. Really, as an employer, there are very few people who you * CAN'T * live without....... very few..........

The show must go on !

Bels
30-07-2008, 23:18
but Bels- the thing is, once you get to that level where you are actually hiring people, you will look back at this post, and understand what I am talking about. Really, as an employer, there are very few people who you * CAN'T * live without....... very few..........

The show must go on !

Yes :) legally hiing English natives, that's a big question. What is a legal entity? No you can't be a licensed school with an entrepeneurs license, and you can't hire foreigners unless your licensed. The argument continues.

xSnoofovich
31-07-2008, 00:17
Yes :) legally hiing English natives, that's a big question. What is a legal entity? No you can't be a licensed school with an entrepeneurs license, and you can't hire foreigners unless your licensed. The argument continues.

like i said, once you get to that level, you will think different. don't change the conversation about being legal or whatnot, because, again, that isnt really important in the teaching english industry.

smiley
03-08-2008, 02:30
What a stupid name for an English Language school. What's the word mean, is it German?

BERLITZ ?? ENGLISH ???

that is the German last name - the founder of the company

Transparent Theatre
03-08-2008, 02:57
Berlitz publish the world's best-selling travel phrasebooks, and the name is extremely well-known to most people.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TOf46HIqL._SS500_.jpg

Bels
11-08-2008, 17:04
Harvard language centre, in Moscow was also well known here as well.