PDA

View Full Version : Annual leave - is this true?

cupcake
28-07-2008, 16:02
my company tells me that if I take 2 weeks off work, it ocunts as 12 days leave. They count the weekend in the middle. Even though my contract clearly states that working hours are X on Mon to Fri and Sat and Sun are not worked.

how can they do this? it's really annoyed me!

And they tell me that's the way it is done in Russia.

Info anyone?

xSnoofovich
28-07-2008, 16:30
Yes, that is correct. If you take off a two week block, then the weekends count as well. However, if you fill out two vacation periods, then it is possible to get around this.

Also, by law - every working person in Russia must take a two week vacation a year.

And everyone gets at least 30 days vacation, but some people get more !

cupcake
28-07-2008, 16:58
it's crazy! So I get 28 days plus 4 in lieu of overtime. I want a week off in Sept then the following Monday so I have taken your suggestion and have filled out two forms. we will see what happens.

there had I been so excited about the 32 days leave!!

xSnoofovich
28-07-2008, 17:11
The funny thing about this is that actually HR doesn't really know what to do, as the laws are very ambiguous, so be firm !

BeachBum
28-07-2008, 17:21
my company tells me that if I take 2 weeks off work, it ocunts as 12 days leave. They count the weekend in the middle. Even though my contract clearly states that working hours are X on Mon to Fri and Sat and Sun are not worked.

how can they do this? it's really annoyed me!

And they tell me that's the way it is done in Russia.

Info anyone?
I dont know about the annual leave part. But I really appreciate the typo, "ocunts".....sort of fitting considering the subject matter. ))

MickeyTong
28-07-2008, 17:23
What a bunch

Proper Bostonian
29-07-2008, 09:12
This is one of those things that makes me crazy. The fact is that everyone is entitled to four weeks vacation here. Instead of simply saying you are entitled to 20 working days vacation, Russia makes things confusing by saying you have 28 days including weekends. It gets really screwy if you do as my husband & I recently did and you take a Thursday vacation day when Friday is a holiday and you then have the weekend in between. Try explaining the 20 working day concept to bugalteri - forget it - they just can't get it!

cupcake
29-07-2008, 09:51
But they can only count the weekend if the leave precedes or follows it. So if you use some of your leave for mid week days off then you can get around the rules. Not that I am going to do that with all my leave of course....

That must be why I was treated like an idiot when I asked for tomorrow off...

Benedikt
30-07-2008, 20:10
That must be why I was treated like an idiot when I asked for tomorrow off...[/QUOTE]
i sit down with the director and we talk it over how much and when i want to go on leave. or whatever other occasion might arise that needs a talking...
in my position as Chef of course it is understood that i work new year, easter or on any other occasion that will bring in big business (while you other people go celebrationg :11581:and having a good time...)
I went to vienna recently and not through a fault of mine but not the companies (entirely) either, i 'had' to stay in vienna and 'had' to watch the football euro games...:agree:
still they paid me the whole 3 weeks without questions asked.
you work for good people, they treat you well, however of course they also can demand that you deliver..

Benedikt
30-07-2008, 20:11
That must be why I was treated like an idiot when I asked for tomorrow off...[/QUOTE]
i sit down with the director and we talk it over how much and when i want to go on leave. or whatever other occasion might arise that needs a talking...
in my position as Chef of course it is understood that i work new year, easter or on any other occasion that will bring in big business (while you other people go celebrating :11581:and having a good time...)
I went to vienna recently and not through a fault of mine but not the companies (entirely) either, i 'had' to stay in vienna and 'had' to watch the football euro games...:agree:
still they paid me the whole 3 weeks without questions asked.
you work for good people, they treat you well, however of course they also can demand that you deliver..

yack
01-08-2008, 11:11
The trick is that according to Russian laws you are getting paid for calendar days when they calculate your days off. So, if you fill out vacation form till Friday and go to work on Monday 2-days salary is gonna be lost. If ypu fill till Monday, your 2 days off are lost. So, its really up to you

Gypsy
01-08-2008, 11:35
But it is so much simpler to just count working days. There can be no confusion,no interpretation then.

France has a government department that has to think up new French words for new things eg Television, despite being Greek they think is english so they think up a new name for it; which is then never used because it is stupid.

I think there must be a similar Russian Government department that thinks up complicated ways to do things that are very simple. Holidays is one, use of cash registers is another, testing electrical equipment in the shop another.

The rule appears to be, find a simple process and keep making it more complicated and expensive - but we won't make it law until there are at least 15 simpler ways of doing it.

xSnoofovich
01-08-2008, 11:43
Well said G :)

That is about the short and skinny of it. Besides, everyone knows that the more complicated a process is, the better it is.