PDA

View Full Version : the living wage question

chrisj_m
10-06-2004, 16:33
Been offered 5 jobs in moscow paying appx $500usd+ a month.... considering getting a job here that pays 8 times that I'm understandably curious if the difference in cost of living is *that* great....

advice, comments etc please - the usual :)

GreatArcticBear
10-06-2004, 16:41
Take the job for 8 times as much elsewhere. 500 will barely cover a decent apartment nowadays.

chrisj_m
10-06-2004, 16:44
gf has job in moscow too - so there's a joint income there, (and grr to the fact she's on $1000)

Ghost
10-06-2004, 16:46
Depending on where you are now, 1500 a month here in Moscow can be a disasterous change.

1500 a month here is NOT a lot.

DJ Biscuit
10-06-2004, 16:47
Think about this, thats 270GBP a month. Plus G/F income still around 700 GBP

Moscow has cheap markets etc, but most things can be comparative to UK, especially for expat lifestyle. (one pint of Guinness =3.60 GBP)

chrisj_m
10-06-2004, 16:51
hmm I see - so what do you reckon an average would be to 'aim' for before considering it - I mean, what would be enough to get by on out there?

Surok
10-06-2004, 16:53
depends what you want - if you want to have a decent(ish) apartment and you're renting privately, that's not cheap. If your girlfriend has an apartment, or you get housing allowance, that's a big chunk of money saved.

then there's food, drink, entertainment - cheap/ free options are available for all of those, but you may get tired of counting the kopecks.

if you're determined to come, make sure that you've thought through the consequences of living on not-much-money at all - then if you're happy with that - go for it!

chris - our posts crossed. An 'average' - difficult to calculate - depends on the individual and what they want in life.

Fa-Q!
10-06-2004, 17:02
Moscow's damned expensive.

DJ Biscuit
10-06-2004, 17:03
Difficult one, personal thing really. I would say on 2 grand US you can live just fine, apartment, go out at times, tech goods etc.

Of course one bad thing I have found is living okay all year and then it gets to that time of year to go home for a break and you need to spend all your month's income getting home etc... but then some people are better at saving than others.

Surok
10-06-2004, 17:05
And if you go 'home' to an expensive country like the UK - that can really hit the pocket hard!

chrisj_m
10-06-2004, 17:07
some sound sensible advice - thanks :)
am pretty determined but think further discussion needed with gf - and will hold out for some better paid options - would be nice to be able to support us both well :)

gadfly
11-06-2004, 13:10
In all honesty, 1500 a month isn't that bad if your girlfriend is a cheap date and has her own apartment. It's 50 bucks a day. The real question is, who in the hell would do 40 hours of work every week for 125 dollars? The toy store I worked at in High School paid more than that.

chrisj_m
11-06-2004, 16:03
lol true - but I'd rather not take her out as a 'cheap date' as am used to working solidly all day here in the UK in order to take her somewhere nice instead :) lol

aye *nods* methinks my question hath been answered, must find some better work out there or end up staying here - grrmbl

J.D.
11-06-2004, 16:08
Moscow is very cheap if you live like the natives do.
Get a Russian girlfriend and go live with her and her parents(and grandparent) in their flat.

chrisj_m
11-06-2004, 16:26
lol - have already got a very nice girlfriend thanks, my reason for moving over to Moscow is somewhat guided by that :) as for parents, they live too far away *g*

thanks for the advice though

lyndsay
18-06-2004, 15:36
.. $1500 is enough if the girl friend can guide on flat rents - be careful on that one as locals can get a reasonable place for about 300 a month.. but an expat will pay 3 x's as much.

Secondly, alot of expat's have no clue at all where to go beyond EXPAT hang outs which are pricey - there are fantastic places where food and drink are really reasonable.

To live and save a bit you'll need about 3k, which would leave a good lump for savings... a greaty lifestyle.. whatever.. really depends on what you need to qualify as living..

the best option is find a rich russian girl, get her up the duff... move into flat with dacha for weekends... breed...sell all of her property under the premise of getting wed... in two years, then get yourself over to nightflight for every night for a month to do a de-tox....

Sorted!!

Bo Selecta!
18-06-2004, 16:29
Must be a teaching job if it pays $500 a month. DON'T DO IT!!!!!

When I first came to Moscow, I lived on $800 a month no problem. I couldn't save anything and I lived in a basic flat towards the end of a metro line but I had a good time on it. Now I earn 4 or 5 x as much as that and still manage to spend a fair old whack of that a month. Of course I save but its amazing how your tastes adapt to a higher income very, very quickly- shopping at Stockmanns, living in the centre, taking cars everywhere. Life is certainly easier in Moscow when you have money, though not necessarily more enjoyable. Sure, I don't have to take the metro 15 stops in rush hour anymore and I enjoy all the trappings of a (somewhat) wealthy expat lifestyle, but I did have a laugh in those early days too...

gadfly
21-06-2004, 18:26
I'm too into food not to appreciate having more cash. Having more cash means being able to walk out of my apartment and sit down and have a huge meal. Having next to nil means frying pelmini and slicing my own potatoes.

Church Mouse
22-06-2004, 14:27
and whats wrong with frying pelmini and slicing your own patatoes? its not the worst thing in the world lol

rosieredwood
22-06-2004, 14:33
I'm now officially unsubscribing to this thread...