PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming to Moscow to look for work

Danteshek
27-07-2008, 04:01
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself here :) I'll be in Moscow from Sept 13 to 27 to look for a job. I desperately want to move to Moscow and work in the financial sector. i lived in Tula (Yasnaya Poliana) and Moscow in 2003/2004 teaching English and working as a translator. For the past 3 years I've been working for asset management companies in California.

I'd love to meet up with expats when I'm in Moscow! Just PM :-)

Anyone here who did Middlebury Russian School? I was there in summer 2003...

honesty
27-07-2008, 13:19
Hello Danteshek and welcome to Moscow ! :)

There are a lot of expats on here.I'm a kind of expat too though I'm a Russian citizen with a good international travelling and living experience.
Hope you'll be glad here and find a good job ! :)
Just keep in touch :)

Danteshek
29-07-2008, 23:42
Thanks! I'm just getting used to this site :) I will PM you later :)

Bels
29-07-2008, 23:57
I've said this many times. If you can find the deals within your own country before you arrive, you might find you get a better package. Just like teaching, you get the telephone interview, and from then hopefully the contract. They are then responsible for looking after you which should include visa support and work permit, travelling costs, accomadation, etc, etc.

But if you simply come here covering your own costs, plus find find your own accomadation, the same company may well give you nothing but an income, which might hardly cover your costs of living.

I suggest you start googling and searching for your work contract now, before you leave. And don't forget that prices have risen drasticly since the last time you have been here.

honesty
30-07-2008, 21:20
Take your time:11109:

xSnoofovich
30-07-2008, 22:53
So, what were your previous roles in AM? What are you expectations?

Danteshek
31-07-2008, 23:27

Danteshek
31-07-2008, 23:31
I was a Client Service Associate for one of the top 3 global fixed income managers for 2 years.

Now I am a Sales Associate in the institutional asset management division of one of the big US banks.

I'm awaiting CFA Level 2 results. Passed L1 last year.

I hope to trade flat into the market or maybe ~20% higher. Current base is USD 55k with ~15-20k bonus expectation.

Ideally I'd like to do investment sales / sales support for one of the asset management companies targeting western institutional business. I'm also considering junior equity sales roles.

Language skills are quite good. French and Russian.

Gypsy
31-07-2008, 23:34
I was a Client Service Associate for one of the top 3 global fixed income managers for 2 years

Now I am a Sales Associate in the institutional asset management division of one of the big US banks

My expectations aren't all that high. I hope to trade flat into the market or maybe ~20% higher. Current base is USD 55k with ~15-20k bonus expectation.

I'm also considering junior equity sales roles.

Language skills are quite good. French and Russian.
Well good luck I wish you well. However I think you will be very very lucky to get the sort of position you want in the current market and incredibly lucky to get the money you want.

Danteshek
01-08-2008, 08:42
I'll just have to give it a shot. If I don't try, I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life.

Danteshek
01-08-2008, 08:49
I've said this many times. If you can find the deals within your own country before you arrive, you might find you get a better package. Just like teaching, you get the telephone interview, and from then hopefully the contract. They are then responsible for looking after you which should include visa support and work permit, travelling costs, accomadation, etc, etc.

But if you simply come here covering your own costs, plus find find your own accomadation, the same company may well give you nothing but an income, which might hardly cover your costs of living.

I suggest you start googling and searching for your work contract now, before you leave. And don't forget that prices have risen drasticly since the last time you have been here.

Thanks for the advice. I am still pretty junior so I don't expect anyone to pay my relocation expenses. At this stage I'm not prepared to drop everything and move without an offer, but it may come to that. 2 weeks in Moscow should be a good amount of time to meet people and figure things out. I'm fairly "debrouillard". I can figure everything else out (housing etc) if I just get an offer.

I am actively looking. I'm working with several headhunters and also doing the necessary research and applying to positions.

Danteshek
01-08-2008, 08:52
Well good luck I wish you well. However I think you will be very very lucky to get the sort of position you want in the current market and incredibly lucky to get the money you want.

The environment in Russia is still far better than in the US right now. The banks are still hiring. I heard from VTB today actually. US is a mature market and frankly not that interesting. I will be far more motivated in Russia, even if I don't get exactly what I want.

Danteshek
01-08-2008, 09:11
Forgot to mention: My trip to Moscow is not some whimsical thing. if I don't find something this time, I'll try and try again. If I don't succeed in the next year or so, I may join the first Skolkovo class. Sounds crazy, I know. But then again I'm a pretty crazy guy.

Danteshek
28-09-2008, 08:52

FYI, I got what I want and will be moving to Moscow in a month. I realize I am very lucky...

Transparent Theatre
28-09-2008, 11:24
Congrats, you won't regret it :)