PDA

View Full Version : IKEA - getting there sans car

cupcake
25-07-2008, 11:00
I have done this once before but can't remember how and my Lonely Planet which gave me the info is missing.

I know I can get the metro to a particular stop and then nearby there is a shuttle bus that goes to the Mega Mall and IKEA. I think it's the Teply Stan (sp??) one.

Can anyone help please?

ta

RIKO
25-07-2008, 11:11
I have done this once before but can't remember how and my Lonely Planet which gave me the info is missing.

I know I can get the metro to a particular stop and then nearby there is a shuttle bus that goes to the Mega Mall and IKEA. I think it's the Teply Stan (sp??) one.

Can anyone help please?

ta

Take the orange line to Toply Stan Metro. From there, minibus no 577. There is usually a line of people waiting. The taxi drivers will often try and get people to fill a car and that will cost you about 50 rubles each and get you to Mega in half the time. If you know your way it is quite a simple walk from the metro station to Mega and will take about 10/15 minutes.

Natalia Suvorova
25-07-2008, 11:43
This is an attachment for IKE Hiki Business-park, and nearby is IKEA in Khimki.
It might help as well

Kalinka
25-07-2008, 11:57
i dont know which ikea is closer to you but you could also go to rechnoj vokzal (green line). there is a free bus going to the MEGA mall and it stops right in front of the door of ikea :-)
the same when you go back. the free bus also takes you back to the metro.

cupcake
25-07-2008, 12:16
Thanks for all these replies. I am guessing Toply Stan is the one to go to for delivery to Zamoskveriche area?

Transparent Theatre
25-07-2008, 12:58
If you are buying anything large it's better to go without your own car anyhow. You would only have to play "convoy" with their delivery driver (assuming the stuff wouldn't fit in your car) on the way back home.

Kalinka
25-07-2008, 13:11
If you are buying anything large it's better to go without your own car anyhow. You would only have to play "convoy" with their delivery driver (assuming the stuff wouldn't fit in your car) on the way back home.

funny u say that because thats exactly what happened to me in germany once!! it was funny and horrible at the same time.
my mom and i bought loads of stuff in ikea, assuming it will all fit in the trunk, plus a huge desk. by the time we got out of ikea they were about to close so there were only like 2 cars left in the parking lot.
so we start packing everything in the car...sh***********t it doesnt fit. so there we are in the middle of the parking lot with a huge desk haha
we were lucky coz the only person left there besides us was a guy with a van. so we ended up givin him some cash and he took our stuff home.:bowdown::bowdown:

kirk10071
25-07-2008, 14:34
i dont know which ikea is closer to you but you could also go to rechnoj vokzal (green line). there is a free bus going to the MEGA mall and it stops right in front of the door of ikea :-)
the same when you go back. the free bus also takes you back to the metro.

I have done this, but be forewarned. The capacity of the bus can accommodate 1/3 of the people waiting. You get there, and there is a crowd waiting for the bus in front of the bus stop. Then people come from across the street and stand in FRONT of the people who are already waiting, on the street itself. Then the bus comes some the people in the front push back so that they won't get killed by the bus and the people in the BACK push forward because there is a bus coming and they want to get on. The crowd pushes into the bus while it is still moving and if you are near the front you will be pushed into the side of the moving bus and you will roll along it in a vertical manner. And they don't come every 10 minutes, as advertised. Every 25-30 maybe.

So, yes, there's a free bus but it is treated like it is the last helicopter out of Saigon.

Now, I went on a Sunday. Try a weekday. OR try one of the minibuses that also go there, or a regular bus. It might cost you 10 rubles more, and you will walk from the bus stop to the store (not a short walk but not a long one), but it should be considered.

Kalinka
25-07-2008, 14:59
i dont remember the day i went there but there was hardly anybody on the bus. around 15 people.
so i guess it really depends on the time and weekday.:agree:

kirk10071
25-07-2008, 15:02
i dont remember the day i went there but there was hardly anybody on the bus. around 15 people.
so i guess it really depends on the time and weekday.:agree:

WOW, really? That's great! Do you remember the day of the week/time? For me the mob scene was on a Sunday in November at around 11 am.

CarolMontagna
30-11-2008, 19:45
Hi Kalinka,

you metioned the free bus leaving from the rechnoj vokzal station. I read about it too but I couldn't find where it stops. Since I've been here for only a month, I don't speak any russian yet so I don know how to ask people. Do you think you can give me like a reference of where does it stop, or how it looks like or even what does it say on the bus. Any information would help.

Thanks a lot,
Carol.

Alladdin
30-11-2008, 20:57
HI .. i llive in khimki and i'm familiar with the transportation to Mega . there are several ways the free one is Mega bus which park exactilly in front of the Metro Station RECHNOI VOGZAL its YELLOW with MEGA sign on its side . also , there is a buss and Marshoutka that goes there . the bus number is 851 ( will drop you beside Mega and it will take you 5 - 7 min walk ) as well as marshoutka 662 which will take you to the front gate and will cost you 25 rubles .. i also would suggest to go there on weekdays early in the morning until noon if you don't want to be jammed and if you want ikea transport service to drive you back in case you had a big package with you ..

kapione
30-11-2008, 22:53
if you go to IKEA by public transportation, and u dont need to stress out, they have delivery to your home, and yes a convienent times ...Ikea is one of the few stores here that put the customer 1st.....

the additional delivery charge depends on which area u live and how far from the store you picked to go to, but it is beeter than carrying it yourself

when u go to IKEA make sure you get everything u paid for

andymackem
30-11-2008, 23:32
Hi Kalinka,

you metioned the free bus leaving from the rechnoj vokzal station. I read about it too but I couldn't find where it stops. Since I've been here for only a month, I don't speak any russian yet so I don know how to ask people. Do you think you can give me like a reference of where does it stop, or how it looks like or even what does it say on the bus. Any information would help.

Thanks a lot,
Carol.

Leave Rechnoi via the exit at the back of the train. You'll (eventually) come out into a bus station. Ignore that, and turn right down the main road. Here you get lots of bus stops. Quite a long way down - far enough to make you question it the first time - you get to the stop for the bright yellow IKEA shuttle bus.

If you're in no great hurry you can usually get a fairly empty outward bus after about 6pm - but keep in mind that traffic on Leningradskoye Shosse is awful at this time. Also, you'll probably be leaving at around the time the centre shuts down - so its sardines for the return trip. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting up early. I think the shuttles start from 8am.

For reference, the bus station outside the metro also has a service to Sheremetyevo. That's always been my Saigon experience!

Katrine L
01-12-2008, 02:24
According to my experience - minibuses ("marshrutka") are much better anyway to get to IKEA! Instead of waiting free MEGA-IKEA buses with their crazy and angry drivers and moving slowly catching all jams on the way within a crowd of same IKEA visitors it is more simplier to take a mini-bus, pay about 30rubles and quickly get the place as drivers of mini-buses are very experienced in moving quickly within tight traffic. Minibuses go to Ikea from almost all terminate stations of the underground. So to Ikea Tepliy Stan it's easier to go from Yasenevo, Yugo-Zapadnaya,Dmitriya Donskogo underground (minibuses are always stand there at the stop waiting for passengers). You can catch a minibuss from Tepliy Stan as well but from there easier to catch a taxi (100r) or to go by foot as it was suggested above.
As for IKEA Himki there plenty minibuses there - almost every bus/minibus that goes to Himki or Sheremetyevo airport:sunny:.

IKEA Belaya Dacha available from Kuzminki undegr, maybe some stations more but don't know exactly which one - never been there