PDA

View Full Version : Marriage & Visa

3uropa
25-07-2008, 02:52
Greetings Everyone

I'm a UK male with a Russian girlfriend. I am currently living in the UK and she is currently living in Russia. We've known each other for the past 2 years and are now summoning the energy & ransacking our cupboards to get together all our past correspondence, photos, flight tickets, hotel receipts etc etc as a prelude to marriage and her getting a spouse visa to come to join me in the UK.

I currently have an annual multi-entry business visa, so for the past year, on my business trips to Russia my girlfriend has met up with me for the time I've been there on business.

However, when it comes to marriage, and for me to visit Russia for the purpose of getting married, I'm guessing that to do this on the back of a business visa is a bit of a no-no. Would I be correct?

In which case, what kind of visa do I require and can I effectively have 2 visas running concurrently - the business one and the visitor/tourist one?

If it helps, or sheds further light, my girlfriend lives in a small town well away from Moscow. We've had problems before when I've tried to stay in a larger town nearby (which was listed on original visa application as a place to visit) because the hotels wouldn't register a business visa and the local authorties wouldn't either because the agency which issued the visa was in Moscow. The fact that I'd travelled to both Petersburg and Moscow ok didn't seem to come in to it. The way round the problem was simply to hot-foot back to Moscow and stay there for a few days instead.

So I'm thinking that if we get married local to where my girlfriend and her family live, the type of visa I have is going to be somewhat important?

markymark
25-07-2008, 10:37
Greetings Everyone

I'm a UK male with a Russian girlfriend. I am currently living in the UK and she is currently living in Russia. We've known each other for the past 2 years and are now summoning the energy & ransacking our cupboards to get together all our past correspondence, photos, flight tickets, hotel receipts etc etc as a prelude to marriage and her getting a spouse visa to come to join me in the UK.

I currently have an annual multi-entry business visa, so for the past year, on my business trips to Russia my girlfriend has met up with me for the time I've been there on business.

However, when it comes to marriage, and for me to visit Russia for the purpose of getting married, I'm guessing that to do this on the back of a business visa is a bit of a no-no. Would I be correct?

In which case, what kind of visa do I require and can I effectively have 2 visas running concurrently - the business one and the visitor/tourist one?

If it helps, or sheds further light, my girlfriend lives in a small town well away from Moscow. We've had problems before when I've tried to stay in a larger town nearby (which was listed on original visa application as a place to visit) because the hotels wouldn't register a business visa and the local authorties wouldn't either because the agency which issued the visa was in Moscow. The fact that I'd travelled to both Petersburg and Moscow ok didn't seem to come in to it. The way round the problem was simply to hot-foot back to Moscow and stay there for a few days instead.

So I'm thinking that if we get married local to where my girlfriend and her family live, the type of visa I have is going to be somewhat important?

Have you thought about getting married in another country... ? Cyprus is giving Russian nationals free visas at the mo and it will help any later application when / if you move to the UK . your lady will have an EU visa. You may need to sign an assumption of responsibility to help ensure getting a tourist visa - but this is a formality for an EU passport holder.

It can all be done in English ... UK citizens just have to swear an affidavit that they are free to marry, and Russians need to do this and have an official letter to that effect, stamped and translated, and verified. You would need to check beforehand.

In the summer you can find good deals for packages to Cyprus - not as good value as TR or Egypt .. but they do speak English..

We married in Cyprus - that's how we know :)..

Good luck - whatever you do

Bels
25-07-2008, 10:51
First things first. Do you know exactly where you as a foreigner can marry your Russian girlfriend? Your nearest might well be in Moscow. Have you contacted your country's embassy in Russia yet? They will help.

Is there any problem residing where your girlfriend lives?

In regards to visas at the moment , your only choice for visas at the moment is single entry business visa, or personal invitation from your girlfriend. After ninety days, you will have to return and renew your visa.

trebor
25-07-2008, 11:14
I know nothing about the marriage stuff but if you contact Vadim at Liga Consulting, ‎+7 499 9781529 office@rusvisa.org they can provide you with registration in Moscow for 3 months for 20 bucks.

I know what it's like trying to get registration in smaller cities in Russia. It's almost impossible. I have used Liga when i go to Tyumen.

You are not registered in the city you are going to of course but at least you are registered. You need registration when you pass through airports in Russia. Nobody will check your registration in the city you are staying anyway. Not like Moscow.

Another point, you can travel around Russia to most cities on a Business Visa without having mentioned them on your visa application.

Best of luck

3uropa
26-07-2008, 00:26
Thanks to all for the responses.

We want to get married in Russia - ideally her home town so that it can be an occasion for her family (and probably serious damage to my liver!)

My girlfriend has visited the local authorities (after many unproductive phone calls). In fact she visited twice. The first time she got the asnwer 'yes' they can do it. The second time she got the answer 'no'. She'll go a third time and we'll investigate further if the majority vote is a 'yes' - otherwise it looks like it'll have to be in Moscow.

I can stay with my girlfriend, and have done previously, but made sure I've been back in a hotel in Moscow within 3 days. I can't afford to have any sniff of a problem with my business visa.

Regarding visa. I've just had my multi-entry annual visa renewed. I need this for my business trips from the UK to Russia, so I'm still left with the quandary of what to about that. Now seriously thinking of using an agency in the UK to help me thru the minefield.

3uropa
31-07-2008, 02:26
After visiting 3 local ZAGs, got an answer. They can do the deed and a business visa is no problem.

monkey-girl
04-08-2008, 23:54
Thanks to all for the responses.

We want to get married in Russia - ideally her home town so that it can be an occasion for her family (and probably serious damage to my liver!)

My girlfriend has visited the local authorities (after many unproductive phone calls). In fact she visited twice. The first time she got the asnwer 'yes' they can do it. The second time she got the answer 'no'. She'll go a third time and we'll investigate further if the majority vote is a 'yes' - otherwise it looks like it'll have to be in Moscow.

I can stay with my girlfriend, and have done previously, but made sure I've been back in a hotel in Moscow within 3 days. I can't afford to have any sniff of a problem with my business visa.

Regarding visa. I've just had my multi-entry annual visa renewed. I need this for my business trips from the UK to Russia, so I'm still left with the quandary of what to about that. Now seriously thinking of using an agency in the UK to help me thru the minefield.

Okay, here goes :)

I got married in Russia (my husband is British I am Russian). We got married in May 2008 in my home town of Sochi (Moscow might be slightly different but I doubt there's a considerable discrepancy. I sorted out a business invitation for my husband-to-be (at that point) and it was a business visa as it was easier to get (I was working in Moscow and my company had discounts for getting business invitations).

We got married in Sochi as I have permanent registration there (temporary in Moscow). Being registered in Sochi I was able to get a registration for my husband there. It's not a problem at all unless your chosen registry office wants to see a blue stamp of the Migration Service on your migration card (which was our case but Moscow may be different). All you need it to do is to fill in a form (2 copies) and put your girlfriend's details as a hosting party (business visa as such is not a problem as you can stay wherever you wish during your business visit) <I've got the form so I can send it to you unless your company takes care of it for you> go to the nearest post office with your girlfriend, present originals and copies of both your passports, original and copy of your migration card and a copy of your passport's page with a visa. The post office will know which Migration Service (according to the district your girlfriend is registered) you need to post the form to, they'll give you the address. All the COPIES I've listed should be enclosed into an envelope and sent to Migration Service. The post office will also stamp a form and give you a part of the form (detachable or whatever it's called - part of the main for they tear off). An you're done.

Will post the info on documents for the Registry office in about 20 mins :)

monkey-girl
04-08-2008, 23:55

Forget about agencies, they are a rip-off :)

monkey-girl
05-08-2008, 00:18
Just noticed that your girlfriend isn't in Moscow. Well it should be even easier. You just need to find the contacts (address) of the local department of the Federal Migration Service and find out whether the registry office will accept a postal application sent to Migration authorities. If not, you'll both have to go to the local Migration Service within 3 days of your arrival to your girlfriend's home town and have your migration card stamped.

monkey-girl
05-08-2008, 00:39
Useful links relating the documents:

Getting married in Russia British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089131222739)

Talk with the local registry office about the PRECISE list of documents they want. It varies from town to town. In our case the registry office wasn't happy with the translation of my husband's passport in spite that fact that I got the translation notarised at Russian consulate in London, then just in case at the notary in Moscow. The registry office wanted all passport to be translated, every single page :) including Australian and other visas. Besides they wanted the English text to be typed but not having each page copied which would be reasonable to expect (ridiculous, I know).

In our case from my husband's side we presented at the registry office the following documents:

1) original passport;
2) notarised translation of the passport (we finally managed to persuade them to take both copes we had and a simple photocopy of all the pages). We had the copy of the passport's first page photocopied, certified by an English solicitor, then apostilled, then translated (I translated it myself), then notarised in Russian Consulate in London. When I came to Moscow I had a spare apostilled copy so I notarised the translation with the notary in Moscow.

IMPORTANT!!!

All the documents in Russian containing your name should contain the same details (first name, second name, family name) as in your RUSSIAN VISA.

3) Certificate of no impediment issued by a local registry office in England (takes about a moth to get one unless you do it in Moscow at the Embassy <-- see the link above), apostilled in London, translated (translation notarised by a Russian notary).

4) Marriage application signed by both of us. It is possible for your girlfriend to submit the application on your behalf if you put your signature on original document and get a Russian notary certify your signature (I found it easier to do in Russian Consulate in London, but it depends on where you are going to be in the nearest future) and send it to your girlfriend.

Then you'll have to wait at least 30 days to get your marriage registered (such is the law). In exceptional circumstances it is possible to do it sooner (e.g. pregnancy, etc.) otherwise, you'll have to wait a month.

When I was in the UK I got my husband original birth certificate apostilled, then translated (notarised translation) just in case any authority asks for it. Our registry office didn't need it.

The registry office might want to see the proof of your address mentioned in the marriage application so make sure it is the same as mentioned in the Certificate of no Impediment.

I found it easier to deal with Russian Consular in London (notary) when notarising the translations as they never asked about a proof of linguistic education/translator's certificate as notaries in Moscow always ask for that. That is why most people not having the proof of relevant qualification have to get the documents translated by translation agencies.

I think I've mentioned all the documents. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know.

In fact we always thought that Russian wedding would be a formal one and weren't worried about it, just wanted to get the red tape out of the way and then have a blessing in Lake Bled (Slovenia) will both our families which we did (which was gorgeous). Otherwise you can have a church blessing in the UK afterwards if needed.

monkey-girl
05-08-2008, 00:42
Actually, if you need any further help please let me know

DDT
05-08-2008, 01:58
There is no problem getting married on a Business visa. Anyway check the Brit Embassy web site they have a section telling you just how to get married in Russia.
Getting married in Russia British Embassy, Russia (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1089131222739)

Get your fiance to call her local ZAGS office and ask what their procedures are. It's not a problem. But remember you will have to wait at least a month before they will let you get married after you file your papers with them.

ezik
20-08-2008, 11:51
Actually, if you need any further help please let me know

Very nice of you to provide so much information!

You deserve a lot of cheers!!