PDA

View Full Version : Bike around Moscow with the kids?

carmen74
22-07-2008, 03:19
I know the answer to this is either going to be "Of course!" or "Of course not!"

We're moving to Moscow next month and are wondering whether to bring our bikes and the Burley bike trailer for our young daughters. I've heard a lot about the dangers of being a pedestrian in Moscow... are cyclists at the same risk? Would you transport your kids to/from preschool/shopping this way?

Many thanks.

MissAnnElk
22-07-2008, 04:51
No. Sadly, no. I left my bikes in the US. The traffic is just too much. And the sidewalks are inconsistent. The Russians will think you are insane. There are some hardcore bike folks here, but they are younger and more hardy than I am. Weekend mornings, early, are possible for riding. But I would not run errands this way.

But not a dumb question at all.

Kalinka
22-07-2008, 09:24
riding a bike in moscow is suicidal:5387:

Picante
22-07-2008, 11:47
riding a bike in moscow is suicidal:5387:

And with children is insane (unless is in a park).

svelt
22-07-2008, 12:04
best go to sokolniki park and hire bikes, loads of room, green, no cars. anything on the roads is hari kiri

cupcake
22-07-2008, 12:22
For running errands, definitely don't use it - way too risky on the roads here. But it could be nice to use if you end up living near a park or in a residential compound.

Transparent Theatre
22-07-2008, 12:26
I know the answer to this is either going to be "Of course!" or "Of course not!"

We're moving to Moscow next month and are wondering whether to bring our bikes and the Burley bike trailer for our young daughters. I've heard a lot about the dangers of being a pedestrian in Moscow... are cyclists at the same risk? Would you transport your kids to/from preschool/shopping this way?

Many thanks.

I regularly road-ride in Moscow, and have done for 5-6 years. The traffic is so grid-locked that you can dodge around them. Work out your own routes that avoid the really huge roads (Sadovaya, Leningradsky Prospekt, Leninsky etc) if you can - going down the side-roads and using pedestrian underpasses will get you a long way.

I am not sure I would recommend it for kids. But at the weekends in summer the roads are empty.

Bear in mind that from October through to April you can expect heavy snow and ice, and even I'm not crazy enough to cycle in that ;)

LalaLu
22-07-2008, 15:05
My advice, bring the bikes. Having a bike in Moscow from beginning helped me visit and enjoy more the city. I am riding the bike very often here, last summer I went to university every day by bike ( except the rainy days) 1 hour one way, is true, I am always using pedestrian area. You will have to pay more attention with the girls, but you already know this.
If you have a car is even better, in the weekends put the bikes on top of the car and Moscow has plenty of big parks to ride through.

You are losing nothing by bringing them, in the worst situation you will lose the place where you will deposit them.

Leonidas
21-08-2008, 17:32
Also, when i moved over here from Britain, bikes were "sport" equipment, which was free to take alonge in the plane, so there's no harm bringing them.

I love to cycle, I cycle were ever I go or just for fun.

Yes, riding in moscow on big roads requires guts, (and a bit insanity) but you can go faster then all the cars during rush hour, and get to uni/job much faster then with a car.

For your daugthers on the other hand,,, well, I woudn't let them cycle on moscow's roads by them selfes, only if you've got a park on your doorstep.

CDNRower
21-08-2008, 19:50
Bring the bikes and the Burley. I take the kids to school and back daily using the bike trails! We also use a Yakima bike trailer and let me tell you, it's a real showstopper for the locals -immediate celebrity status. Lots of thumbs up and requests for info. No one around here has ever seen such a thing as a bike trailer with kids in it. It's a blast!

Bels
21-08-2008, 20:16
If you live in the western region, about 25km outside Moscow, bikes are great, in the villages and in the forest paths. Hmm! even here watchout for shopping areas, as the drivers are ruthless, and don't know how to drive.

London's a joy for riding bicycles, especially around the Kensington area. In fact it's an adventure, if you get the special bike path map. You will see London as you have never seen it before. Can you imagine country and nature in the middle of a major city centre? Yes It's true.