PDA

View Full Version : Iced Tea

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 19:52
In an attempt to lose weight I have stopped drinking Cola, Fanta etc etc but water can be boring so I have started to buy these iced tea drinks you can buy in plastic bottles from Nestea. Does anyone know anything about them? I mean are they bad for you? Do they contain a lot of sugar etc etc?

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 19:54
In an attempt to lose weight I have stopped drinking Cola, Fanta etc etc but water can be boring so I have started to buy these iced tea drinks you can buy in plastic bottles from Nestea. Does anyone know anything about them? I mean are they bad for you? Do they contain a lot of sugar etc etc?

Sugar - a lot I think. The substitutes to sugar can also inhibit weight loss. Drink bubbly water.

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:00
Interesting you should say that. Three and a half years ago I went on a very successful diet prescribed by a friend who was a sports scientist/ doctor type. His advice was bubbly water rather than still water too. Apparently the gas helps with weight loss.

I lost about 20 kilos and never felt or looked so good. Now due to reasons you know I have put all that back on plus another 15 kilos on top.

The iced tea bottle says 'without' concerntrates' but what does that really mean?

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 20:05
Interesting you should say that. Three and a half years ago I went on a very successful diet prescribed by a friend who was a sports scientist/ doctor type. His advice was bubbly water rather than still water too. Apparently the gas helps with weight loss.

I lost about 20 kilos and never felt or looked so good. Now due to reasons you know I have put all that back on plus another 15 kilos on top.

The iced tea bottle says 'without' concerntrates' but what does that really mean?
I assume concentrated fruit syrup. But anything that ends 'ose is sugar, so look for those. Basically if it tastes sweet then it is not for you.

I found that bubbly water worked.

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:23
Thanks. The iced teas don't taste sweet but I am sure they aren't good for you.

Water it is then. Once I finish this beer I am drinking!

Hawk
20-07-2008, 20:25
Make your own ice tea....

that way you know whats in it...

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:28
Good idea. How?

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 20:32
Good idea. How?

Wild guess; tea, fridge, lemon?...er..that's it.

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:36
I will have to start using smiley icons more often in future. I think I have an idea how to make iced tea.

Inclination though is a different matter entirely.

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 20:37
I will have to start using smiley icons more often in future. I think I have an idea how to make iced tea.

Inclination though is a different matter entirely.

Yes, but that will correct itself as the booze gets out of your system.

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:41
Oh very droll. Sunday is funny day chez Gypsy.

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 20:47
Oh very droll. Sunday is funny day chez Gypsy.

Actually it sucks big time.

Just made a killer mushroom risotto, (brandy is the secret ingredient) Gladys Knight is imploring me to take her in her arms and love her, and I'm on my own.

So, not so much fun.

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 20:55
Sounds better than Maison Biscuit.

I roasted a chicken which I believe died very young. It's so hot in my apartment I am having to drink beer down in one because minutes after I take it out of the fridge it becomes warm and someone unnamed is imploring me to 'put your hands in the air and rave all night like you just don't care.'

And I too am on my own, but that doesn't surprise me!

MissAnnElk
20-07-2008, 21:37
and someone unnamed is imploring me to 'put your hands in the air and rave all night like you just don't care.'!

Word up?

C'mon, c'mon, baby, tell me what's the word? (One of my ALL time favorite happy songs)

MissAnnElk
20-07-2008, 21:43
I heard this on NPR (US public radio) last week. The website is splendidtable dot org.

Making Iced Tea

July 12, 2008

Printable version

Courtesy of Bill Waddington, proprietor of TeaSource in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Bill Waddington, proprietor of the TeaSource shop (Welcome to TeaSource! (http://www.teasource.com)) in St. Paul, Minnesota offers these methods for brewing perfect iced tea, along with a list of suggested teas.

Instant Iced Tea:
Follow the instructions for brewing regular hot tea on the back of the tea package, except decrease the amount of tea by 50%. When the tea has brewed the suggested amount of time, remove the leaves and pour tea directly into a container (plastic or glass) filled with ice. As the ice melts, add more ice to suit your taste.

Cold Brew Iced Tea:
Place 8-10 rounded teaspoons of tea in a gallon jug, either loose or in two #4 T-Sacs. Fill the jug with cold water. Let steep overnight (at least 8 hours). Strain or remove the T-Sac. Serve over ice. This method requires less tea and produces a smooth, light, and refreshing iced tea. When using a Beehouse pitcher, place 4-6 rounded teaspoons of tea in the infuser basket.

Iced Tea Concentrate:
Measure 1-1/4 cups of dry tea (adjust amount of tea to suit your taste). Brew with 8 cups of water. Follow regular hot tea instructions for correct brewing temperature and time. Strain into another container and refrigerate. Dilute 1 part concentrate to 2 parts water as needed. Serve over ice.

SUGGESTED ICED TEAS
Black Teas: Nilgiri Tamil Nadu, Kenya Pekoe, South India Iyerpadi, Sumatra BOP, China Black Special, Hunan Black, Ceylon Vithanakanda

Flavored Black Teas: TeaSource Gold, Prairie Passion, Georgia Sunshine, Strawberries & Cream, Lemon Solstice, Berried Treasure, Blueberry, Black Currant, Raspberry, Peach, Lychee

Oolongs: Formosa Choicest, Magnolia Oolong, Sweet Flower Oolong, Passionfruit Oolong

Flavored Green Teas: Bittersweet Green, Genmaicha, Sweet Ginger Green, Moroccan Mint, Green Tea with Mango, Green Tea with Mandarin, Green Tea with Pomegranate, Green Tea with Cherry, Green Melange, Sencha Peach Pancake

Herbals: African Skies, Lemon Sunset, Peach Paradise, Basket of Berries, Scarlet O'Peara, Hibiscus Punch, Orange Blossom Special, Starfire Licorice, Montana Gold, Red Berries

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 21:45
Word up?

C'mon, c'mon, baby, tell me what's the word? (One of my ALL time favorite happy songs)

No, something from this century! :)

MissAnnElk
20-07-2008, 21:46
No, something from this century! :)

Then they have clearly been listening to Cameo on their own . . .

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 21:49
'Put your hands in the air like you just don't care' is a very old MC line and was used even before Cameo and their cod pieces hit the scene!

It's in a lot of vocal house tracks as well as Trance etc.

MissAnnElk
20-07-2008, 21:52
Well, there you go! I learned something new today. Thanks.

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 21:59

How you doing Elkers?

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 22:04

Today I learnt the following:

1. Cooking for one is a pain in the a*se waste of time and depressing.

2. If looking forward to watching Miss Marples dubbed into Russian on Russian TV is my highlight of the day then perhaps I need to change something.

MissAnnElk
20-07-2008, 22:11
How you doing Elkers?

Very well, thank you! Kids are having a ball with their cousins (who live across the street). Just had a nice two weeks with Mr. Elk, including a week with his side of the family and a day at Cedar Point, a fun amusement park on Lake Erie with LOTS of roller coasters where I rode this

YouTube- Millenium Force @ Cedar Point, OH - On Ride POV

this

YouTube- Magnum XL-200- ON COASTER FOOTAGE

and, my personal favorite,

YouTube- Raptor at Cedar Point POV

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 22:52
OK - that seems a silly thing to do, but no doubt the Elkettes loved it.

MissAnnElk
21-07-2008, 00:06
OK - that seems a silly thing to do, but no doubt the Elkettes loved it.

The older one did. The younger one followed us onto a milder roller coaster, only because she hadn't grasped the concept. She didn't much care for it.

Reverend
21-07-2008, 02:49
In an attempt to lose weight I have stopped drinking Cola, Fanta etc etc but water can be boring so I have started to buy these iced tea drinks you can buy in plastic bottles from Nestea. Does anyone know anything about them? I mean are they bad for you? Do they contain a lot of sugar etc etc? These teas have about 10 calories per ounce (don't have the conversion to ml) while Coke and Pepsi have around 12 calories per ounce. You are not saving much.

How about making your own iced tea?

TD
21-07-2008, 05:36
The most popular new drink here in the south is Firefly Sweet Tea vodka... mix a shot of this with some ice and water and it tastes exactly like iced tea - you won't know the difference until you try and walk away from your barstool :-)

14204 (http://www.fireflyvodka.com/index.cfm?Section=1&page=3)

Orion
21-07-2008, 11:42
Seems like there is a much simpler way to go about this whole Iced Tea thing.

In the morning when you make a cup of Lipton Yellow Label or some such tea just make an entire kettle. Pour your morning cup hot and tranfer the rest into a pitcher and place in the refrigerator. That is what I have been doing forever...and is about the least amount of effort I can think of.

Iced tea is big in the US and always gives Russians in particular a bit of a shock when they order tea in a restaurant as Iced Tea is what will be brought to them 99% of the time. The looks on their faces are often priceless. 'Tea' is used for both versions in the States and in the morning or with after dinner desserts 'tea' will get you the hot variety...all other times you are likely to get the 'iced' version unless you specifically request the 'hot' variety.

In the South they love what is called Sweet Tea. I always refered to the this stuff as "Adult Kool Aid" as there is enough sugar in it to rot the teeth straight out of your head....seriously. In many places you weigh the sugar for a 5 gallon tea maker (In restaurants) in pounds rather than ounces.

Up North and out West they use a lot less sugar so your Iced Tea will be 'unsweetened', chilled out of the kettle with nothing at all added, and then you add the sugar/Sweet and Low/Equal/Splenda to your taste. Just a teaspoon or two in a large glass. Personally, I skip the sugar but add several slices of lemon.

Before moving here I had found a great iced tea in a bottle made with jasmine and a touch of honey...it was unwordly. Since I have zero chance of finding that here I will have to experiment with making my own version if I ever get motivated

This being summer, on a hot day, a huge glass filled with tea and ice will slake your thirst like nothing else.

w.meijerink
21-07-2008, 15:55

Ice tea has 14gr of sucar, but it's perfect for a 2000ca diet.

To be sure take a look on NESTEA® (http://www.nestea.com/productsInstant.jsp)

:drink:

:eh: not longer wodka DJ???
:10518:

iamjamaica
24-07-2008, 10:05
Try pineapple juice. It is recommended for those, who are on diet