PDA

View Full Version : To Yerevan or not to Yeravan . . .

elis
19-07-2008, 20:02
That is the question of the day!

Looks like there's a possibility that we could move to Yerevan. (Holy cow! I never thought I'd be living here, let alone in Armenia.)

Couldn't find much online. Anyone been there? Have any insightful comments about the place? Other than the fact that you can see Mt. Ararat from there? :)

AndreyS
19-07-2008, 20:11

Looks like there's a possibility that we could move to Yerevan. (Holy cow! I never thought I'd be living here, let alone in Armenia.)

Couldn't find much online. Anyone been there? Have any insightful comments about the place? Other than the fact that you can see Mt. Ararat from there? :)

Never been there. But anyway it sounds like an interesting opportunity.
Why not, Elis? There are lots of ads on CNN like Come to Armenia! Follow Noah's route! (or smth like that). ;-)

You may check some sites for tourist info about Armenia and sightseeing
CAUCASUS TRAVEL .RU / Welcome to ARMENIA / Tours to Armenia / Travel in Armenia / Tourism in Armenia (http://www.caucasustravel.ru)
Armenia tours - ORIENT Tour Armenia guide and information about tourism and traveling to Armenia (http://www.orient.am)
and a lot more.

If you use Russian search engine such as www,yandex.ru you will find more.
(it works in English as well)

Natkin
19-07-2008, 20:57
Was there at the age of 14. Absolutely stunning place!

I guess there were few changes since then, but singing fountains still work.
Elis, give it a try!

SalTheReturn
19-07-2008, 21:18
Elis, if you loved Italy you will love Armenia.

Also do not forget that almost any city in this world is better than CrapholeMoscow.
Even young single guys like me do not regret having left Moscow.
Crazy how that place was speeding up my aging process and compromising my mental-physycal health.

Differently from other you know what quality of life is. No doubt Elis: leave Moscow and relocate to Yerevan.

Thread closed.

Bels
19-07-2008, 21:24

Also do not forget that almost any city in this world is better than CrapholeMoscow.
Crazy how that place was speeding up my aging process and compromising my mental-physycal health.

Differently from other you know what quality of life is. No doubt Elis: leave Moscow and relocate to Yerevan.

Thread closed.

Sal, you are a constant member of expat.ru of which is mainly Moscow in issues. Tell us the truth sal, you love Mscow, but can't get back.

Otherwise you would communicate in the thousands of expat forums available all over the world, or even any other forums of differents. But you remain loyal here Sal, so that means you love Moscow :)

For me , I participate here because I live here with a Russian family.

Bels
19-07-2008, 21:31
I must admit I was considered unbelievably young looking, slim and healthy. And now I am being criticised as deteriating and ageing rapidly, and those criticisms are coming from Russians, including my wife. Is it time time for me to go home? My sons boxing trainer recently told me this, and now I'm beginning to think.

SalTheReturn
19-07-2008, 22:01
I must admit I was considered unbelievably young looking, slim and healthy. And now I am being criticised as deteriating and ageing rapidly, and those criticisms are coming from Russians, including my wife. Is it time time for me to go home? My sons boxing trainer recently told me this, and now I'm beginning to think.

Believe it or not Bels it is the reason I left that hell.

I realized when seeing my colleagues all together at once: all of them looked ways worst than how they arrived.

one of them lost 15kgs in a year, another 10

AndreyS
19-07-2008, 22:17
Personally I am just putting on weight here.
Several days ago my (female) friend asked me if I felt happy sometimes.
And I answered: Yes, I feel happy right now.
And we cracked a bottle of wine.

Bels
19-07-2008, 22:53

Now believe it or not, that's why I'm still here. Opening a bottle of wine with my wife or friends is one of the reasons I'm still here. As well as my children of whom I love deeply. But eventually we will work out a system where we will be secure returning to my home country, without debt of mortgage or anything else. But it will take a few years , as England or Scotland are my dream places to return to. At the moment we are looking at Southampton, due to business or work possibilities, reasonable time travel to London, price properties not too high, and a beautiful location. Brighton was first choice, but property prices are far too high, of which they don't deserve.

AndreyS
19-07-2008, 23:22
Now believe it or not, that's why I'm still here. Opening a bottle of wine with my wife or friends is one of the reasons I'm still here. As well as my children of whom I love deeply. But eventually we will work out a system where we will be secure returning to my home country, without debt of mortgage or anything else. But it will take a few years , as England or Scotland are my dream places to return to. At the moment we are looking at Southampton, due to business or work possibilities, reasonable time travel to London, price properties not too high, and a beautiful location. Brighton was first choice, but property prices are far too high, of which they don't deserve.

I am completely with you Bels. I find Southampton extremely beautiful, quiet and green place. I had peace of mind there for several days in August 2004. I remember I was sitting in the cental park facing the clock tower of the Civic Church in the evening, and the clock was ringing at 9 pm...Magic sound... Unforgettable.
And, of course The Isle of Wight nearby which is to me a fairy-tale-place.

But, Bels. Don't you think that we live our lives here and now (opening bottles)? All those hopes for the future... I prefer not to think about it.
Never build up hopes and you will never be disappointed, right? Remember from Maugham's novels: those people who made a fortune in colonies and returned to London found everything wrong, not like they had hoped to see etc etc.

Albertina
19-07-2008, 23:48

no, you can't! You must stay in Moscow. :agree:

Albertina
19-07-2008, 23:50

Thread closed.

Sal, after spending over a week in Italy, I really fell in love with Moscow!
I llooovveee Moscow! Please god take me back there!

SalTheReturn
19-07-2008, 23:58

wine and then?

anyway i was talking about expats in moscow, not locals

Albertina
19-07-2008, 23:59

Everybody! Just for your information: the female in question was not me :evilgrin:

SalTheReturn
19-07-2008, 23:59
Sal, after spending over a week in Italy, I really feel in love with Moscow!

yes pls go back to moscow

AndreyS
20-07-2008, 00:05
Everybody! Just for your information: the female in question was not me :evilgrin:

Hey, people! It was her! (she just feels shy to confess).

AndreyS
20-07-2008, 00:06
wine and then?

anyway i was talking about expats in moscow, not locals

And then? Guess what...
No sex

Bels
20-07-2008, 00:09
I am completely with you Bels. I find Southampton extremely beautiful, quiet and green place. I had a peace of mind there for several days in August 2004. I remember I was sitting in the cental park facing the clock tower of the Civic Church in the evening, and the clock was ringing at 9 pm...Magic sound... Unforgettable.
And, of course The Isle of Wight nearby which is to me a fairy-tale-place.

But, Bels. Don't you think that we live our lives here and now (opening bottles)? All those hopes for the future... I prefer not to think about it.
Never bould up hopes and you will never be disappointed, right?

I totally agree with you as always. But my wife keeps pushing me for UK, and I don't blame her. As she's constantly visiting officials on my behalf, due to my so called crazy demands to be legal, and for the moment it is for the right to rent to classrooms in a public goverment building. Can you imagine why you would need to meet personally so many individuals, fill in so many forms, to simply to rent a few classrooms , and then eventually to pay the electricity board to fit in an elictrity and heating meter into our classrooms to pay our own power bill? And then for another official to ask what hour we want in the classrooms??? Outragious!!!! We want all the hours!!! And we want a five year lease.

Thankfully that was sorted out by my wife on my request, that it was impossible for us to have an hourly timed rate, due to the type of our business. But these stupid questions go on , and on , and on. My wife thinks they are all looking for bribes, to speed up something which should take minutes. But we are going the slow way, as we know it's our right.

So this is why my wife is getting fed up. She believes that as we fight to progress as a successful business , there will always be officials or little mafia in the way to slow us down. For the moment it's me who wants and believes in the progress of Russia, not my wife's. As she is increasingly becoming increasingly negative about Russia. She's doing a good job. but she does a helluva lot of visits, when really she should be helping me in the making of money in the business, and looking after our children.

Funny how these officials don't recognise the problems they are causing. A reliance on telephone calls, e-mails, and post would help us all a great deal, rather than this dependance of personall visits all the time. As all these personall visits always end up in being a long days work, when you include the travelling time. TIME IS MONEY

Albertina
20-07-2008, 00:15
Hey, people! It was her! (she just feels shy to confess).

So that was you - the homeless drunk from Morocco at the airport in Rome who tried to save me from the Alitalia service?!

Transparent Theatre
20-07-2008, 00:22
Meanwhile... Armenia :)

I can't say Erevan is a particularly attractive or beautifully city - like most larger cities of the former Soviet Onion, it's cursed with Soviet Architecture Blight, which will not go away any time soon. A newer generation of buildings has sprung up, but as you might expect, only as the headquarters of international corporations, 5* hotel chains, or Govt Ministries.

However, the rest of Armenia is outstandingly beautiful. Despite the howls of protest this always produces it's the cradle of Christianity - Armenia was the world's first Christian nation (C3rd) and even the oldest Christian constructions in Jerusalem contain pictures of the even-older Patriarchate of Echmiadzin in Armenia.

Worth bearing in mind that although you can see Mt Ararat, you can't get there.. it's in Turkey, across the border. Turkey also has a huge share of Armenia's cultural heritage on its territory due to previous incursions - like the medieval walled city of Van, the former Royal Palace on the island in the middle Lake Akhdamar, and stacks more. (There is a former medieval town preserved in the no-man's land between Turkey and Armenia - technically on the Turkish side. You can only go there if you deposit your passport with the Police Station in the nearest Turkish town to the border, to prove that you intend coming back to Turkey). Armenia is about the only place on earth which gives normal civil rights to the Kurds (there is a large Kurdish minority there).

And the food :) And the wine :) And the brandies and cognacs :) And the sunshine, and lemon-trees and olive-groves, and bay-trees in the summer....

Albertina
20-07-2008, 00:32
elis! what is the yeat dogs !!!!
Sorry, too much wine. Armenians are the oldest Christians! But that"s not the reason to go there. It all depends on other options you have.

AndreyS
20-07-2008, 00:42
So that was you - the homeless drunk from Morocco at the airport in Rome who tried to save me from the Alitalia service?!

Oh yeah, it was me. Pity we didn't make love after a bottle. ;-(

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 01:00
And then? Guess what...
No sex

Oh!! A date then.

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 01:02
Elsters - is it closer to Italy?

w.meijerink
20-07-2008, 01:51
Sal, after spending over a week in Italy, I really fell in love with Moscow!

:whisper:After you spend a week in Italy, you will love every country in the world :verycool:

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 01:58
I could not fail to disagree less.

I love Italy, a week there and i love it more. It is wonderful. How it manages to work despite seeming not to work at all is the charm.

And the climate, countryside and the people.

SalTheReturn
20-07-2008, 10:02
:whisper:After you spend a week in Italy, you will love every country in the world :verycool:

For your info I remind you that we are the third most popular tourist destination in the world and 3 of our cities are on the top ten of the cities most loved by Americans.

SalTheReturn
20-07-2008, 10:03
And then? Guess what...
No sex

what a stupid comment

boring really.

SalTheReturn
20-07-2008, 10:04
I could not fail to disagree less.

I love Italy, a week there and i love it more. It is wonderful. How it manages to work despite seeming not to work at all is the charm.

And the climate, countryside and the people.

Could not you invest some of your sterling pounds here? we need them, damn if we need them!

Ps. Whats Elsters?

Gypsy
20-07-2008, 11:06
Could not you invest some of your sterling pounds here? we need them, damn if we need them!

Ps. Whats Elsters?

I do not have any sterling, living in France and Moscow it is unnecessary.

Elsters? - yes I got it wrong, possible confusion with Elkers, so The Elster would have been better. I did keep coming back to the El-meister but as she is very feminine it would have been wrong.

Recent posts have referred to Tonkers, Biccers, Gyppers etc so have a guess.

AndreyS
20-07-2008, 14:52
what a stupid comment

boring really.

Sorry, you definitely expected sex.

SalTheReturn
20-07-2008, 15:25
Sorry, you definitely expected sex.

it is actually " a stupid comment" because you thought I was talking about sex.

AndreyS
20-07-2008, 16:00
it is actually " a stupid comment" because you thought I was talking about sex.

I still think you talked about sex.