PDA

View Full Version : happy birthday MADIBA...

Benedikt
19-07-2008, 15:08
..that's what Nelson Mandela is being called respectfully in South Africa.
90 years, a little bit frail already, but his mind is still sharp.
i lived in SA between 71 and 83 and had experienced the good and bad times and events. but when Mr. Mandela was released from Robben Island and later become President it was only through his foresight, cool head and strog will that South Africa did not become another Kenia after the Mau Mau took over or an Uganda after Idi Amin, or closer, a Zimbabwe with Mugabe.
May HE grant you a few more peacefull years as elder statesman, and may
you see your beloved South Africa pull itself out of the present misery..
and of course see the football worldcup in good health in Johannesburg!!!!!!!!!::fireworks:

RIKO
19-07-2008, 19:50
i lived in SA between 71 and 83 and had experienced the good and bad times and events. but when Mr. Mandela was released from Robben Island and later become President it was only through his foresight, cool head and strog will that South Africa did not become another Kenia after the Mau Mau took over or an Uganda after Idi Amin, or closer, a Zimbabwe with Mugabe.
and of course see the football worldcup in good health in Johannesburg!!!!!!!!!::fireworks:

I agree with you. What a great man, and let's hope he has many more years of good health ahead of him !

However a small correction: it's MADIBA, not Mandiba [In South Africa Mandela is often known as Madiba, an honorary title adopted by elders of his clan].

Benedikt
19-07-2008, 20:24
I agree with you. What a great man, and let's hope he has many more years of good health ahead of him !

However a small correction: it's MADIBA, not Mandiba [In South Africa Mandela is often known as Madiba, an honorary title adopted by elders of his clan].

i wanted to edit it but the button only lets me edit the text not the headline. :(
if one of the people in power with the buttons could do that for me i would be very greatfull

DJ Biscuit
20-07-2008, 01:07
i wanted to edit it but the button only lets me edit the text not the headline. :(
if one of the people in power with the buttons could do that for me i would be very greatfull

Done.

Korotky Gennady
20-07-2008, 19:41
and of course see the football worldcup in good health in Johannesburg!!!!!!!!!::fireworks:Benedikt, i'm sorry but how do people live there after the end of apartheid ?

I saw a few awful photographes which have been took from there...

Benedikt
21-07-2008, 10:44
and we are in contact via e-mail. the situation is indeed tragic. 40 % of the black population is out of work or having jobs to eke out a living, like seeling frits and vegetables or socks and shirts on little stands or from carts around the streets.
johannesburg of course it not so nice anymore. while it is stil lthe financial center, the city as such is dead after offices are closing down. everyone goes home and that's it. there are places like the market theater complex that offer entertainment and good one believe me.
i worked at the Carlton Hotel as a young Chef, right in the center of Jo-burg. And around us were only office buidings. a fewbig theaters, moviehouses and shopping malls. they all closed, people did not ocme anymore because it was to dangerous, so no attendance and they closed. everything is more or less out in the subburbs. no need to go to town.
i worked there as a young Chef at the Carlton Hotel, most of the time there was a queue to get a seat in the coffee shop and for the dining rooms it was reservations only, a week or two in advance please...
and still it could be much worse if it was not for men like Mr.Mandela. No doubt big money also played a role. Anglo American,De Beers and the rest of the mining industry is to much a power to just let all go to the dogs.
but what lately more and more stirs up the hatred and race problems, it is now black on black, is also easy to understand. it WAS always that the big part of the mining workers but also low paid domestic workers were recrutied from Mosambique, Rhodesia and other neighboring black countries. policy was, that with the remittance sent back home it will at least the population there from having less than nothing. and sout hafrica wanted to be seen a good neighbor.That was also the idea of the 'constellation of southern african states', should be somewhere on the net, would take to long to explain here.
and now the local south african workers are out of owrk but still there are hundreds and thousands of people from zimbabwe, angola, mosambique and god knows where 'taking up our jobs and we are out of work' ( suppose we all know that from closer at home, might that be the turks and polish people in germany, the 'polish plumber' in the UK or closer around here in moscow...)
and resentment started and killings...
many(white) well trained professionals have left, from doctors to teachers and nurses.
at least the back bone of the country, besides mining, the agricultural sector has not suffered the same fate as in zimbabwe. 'CAPE' products are well known even here in russia and wine from Stellenbosch is as good or even better than the best of the french, german or italian.
kruger park of course is still a must stop for any animal lover.
and hopefully in two years time things will look up and get even better after a big injection of money, tourists and fame at the world cup football.
i lived many years in SA and the Cape, Garden route, Stellenbosch but also the Kalahari or Etosha are places that i will always remember.
Hopefully Mr.Mandela will live for quite a few more years,people ARE listening to him, even if than the reality is something very different.
God bless Sout Africa!