PDA

View Full Version : Another Q on the 90/180 days thing

cupcake
16-07-2008, 12:46
So this doesn't affect me as I have a work permit/visa, but I am curious, so here goes.

From a tax point of view you pay 30% if you are in the country less than 183 days, and 13% if you are here longer. So won't the new 180 day rule have an impact on the taxes people pay who are here under these visas, or is that an irrelevant question as some of these people might be working semi-legally/undeclared and are not paying tax at all anyway?

And speaking of the 30% to 13% tax thing - I am almost 6 months in and have been having 30% deducted so far having been told I will get the difference back once I pass the magic 183 days. So how long will it take to get it back or does that depend on the admin efficiency of my company? (in which case, I may get it for Christmas 2009....) And is this something that happens for the first 6 months of every year or only for the first year after you arrive here? TIA

mandelstam13
16-07-2008, 14:52
Many companies try to do it every year. But there is no legal basis for this, it just makes it easier for their book-keepers. The labour code says you have to be here for 183 days in a 12 month period. Not in a year. That 12 month period can be, say, June to June .

cupcake
16-07-2008, 14:57
OK, thanks for explaining. So that could be another thing people using these type of visas need to consider when deciding arrival and departure dates. Man, that 90/180 is a complex system with so many dynamics to consider - so glad I don't have to deal with it myself.