PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Letter vs Letter of No Impediment

Szawica
14-07-2008, 17:16
Hello All,
I am a U.S citizen planning to marry in Russia soon to Russian citizen. Do I need both the so-called "Marriage Letter" from the U.S Consulate in Moscow
as well as the letter of no impedimnt to marry? I do have an apostilled document from my home state that says I am currently not married. Is this enough, or must I travel to Moscow to get the "Marriage Letter"? Any input with qualification would be appreciated.
Thanks!

xSnoofovich
14-07-2008, 17:25
My situation.

I had to go to the US embassy. Swear that I wasn't married. Sign a piece of paper. Then take that piece of paper to a Russian Ministry that would register, and file it and give me a set of new documents. You then take those documents with you when you want to register at zags.

rgreen
15-07-2008, 10:33
I can not say for sure but I was told that I needed to get the letter from the US Embassy, so I did. I had to go there and also swear that I was not married and sign a document. They did not require any proof of me not being married. Only my word !!!!!!!!!!

Bels
15-07-2008, 14:23
Ok , Im a Brit but it's probably the same, you will need your birth certificate and if you were married before you will need your divorce papers of which must be apostiled. You then go to you embassy and get that most important document No impediment then everything needs to be translated into Russian.

DDT
16-07-2008, 20:02
I think it is easier for Americans. You just have to swear out a statement that you have never been married and are single. If you are divorced you will need to get divorce papers apostillised and translated . ZAGS will want to see them too. I read one guy's blog on the net that advised not even mentioning divorce during the process. ZAGS is crazy they keep a copy of your No Iped. Docs, Apostillised Divorce papers and passport copies and all translations. Where do they have room to stack all the paperwork they must collect?

Bels
16-07-2008, 20:07
I think it's is easier for Americans. You just have to swear out a statement that you have never been married and are single. If you are divorced you will need to get divorce papers apostillised and translated . ZAGS will want to see them too. I read one guy's blog on the net that advised not even mentioning divorce during the process. ZAGS is crazy they keep a copy of your No Iped. Docs, Apostillised Divorce papers and passport copies and all translations. Where do they have room to stack all the paperwork they must collect?

I think it's the same, and the Americans are often much more complicated in their red-tape :) or at least that's how they explain it in many of their posts, :)
We believe in simplicity.