PDA

View Full Version : 3 Months Out, Six Months In ???

Sumarokov-Elston
13-07-2008, 00:09
Here's an open question for you all. If you have a multi-entry business visa, the law now states that you can only stay 90 days of each 180-day period.

Could you do it this way? Apply for one-year visa. First 3 months not visit Russia at all. Second three months live in Russia. You then leave the country, having just lived 90 of the first 180 days there. You then immediately return for the third three months, which you live in Russia. That uses up the 90 days of your second 180 days there. You then leave the country and apply for a new business visa...

So you actually spend 6 out of 9 months in Russia, with these 6 months being in a row, rather than 6 of 12 months.

I would suspect, however, that after the 9 months is up and you have 3 months still to run, a canny consulate would suss out what you are trying to do and not necessarily cancel the last 3 months by giving you a new one-year visa when only 9 months are up.

Kartoshka
14-07-2008, 12:40
I think no, because the law isn't talking about the length of your visa, it's talking about a 6 month period. So if you've been in Russia for 3 months, you've used up your 90 out of 180 days and theoretically will need to wait another 3 months before they'll let you back in.

MaltSokol
14-07-2008, 23:31
It is possible, but there is a condition.
The 180 day period starts counting at the date of your first entry, not the date of commecement of your visa.

As you have described it, on day 90 of your visa you would enter Russia for the first time, so it means that you could be only 90 days from the day 90 till the day 270.

However, if you 'open' your first 180-day period on day 1, then it is possible.
You enter Russia on day 1 and immediately exit. This has started your first 180-day period. On day 91 you enter Russia and stay for 89 days till day 180. Then you exit Russia and reenter on day 181 starting your second period of 180 days. you stay till day 270.

Bels
14-07-2008, 23:40
I sympathise with those married to Russian families here, who are trying to get residency, whilst putting up with these visas :(

Thank goodness I just made, but only just.