PDA

View Full Version : Antiobiotics Don't Work for Cold Symptoms

Dr.Boris
09-07-2008, 17:16
Here is an interesting article:

According to a recent study published in the British medical journal Lancet, about a third of patients who go to their doctor for upper respiratory tract infections (UTIs) are diagnosed with acute rhinosinusitis, and 80 percent of those patients receive antibiotics even though doctors don't have clear criteria for distinguishing between viral and bacterial infections.

Why is this an important distinction? It's important because while bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics, viral infections cannot. If you take antibiotics for a viral infection, they won't help and actually might harm you. The Centers for Disease Control emphasizes this point on its Web site:

"Are you aware that colds, flu, most sore throats, and bronchitis are caused by viruses? Did you know that antibiotics do not help fight viruses? It's true. Plus, taking antibiotics when you have a virus may do more harm than good. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed increases your risk of getting an infection later that resists antibiotic treatment."

The Lancet study involved 2,547 adults with clinical signs and symptoms of rhinosinusitis (nasal discharge, discomfort in the cheeks and/or face, cough, cold). The researchers determined that guidelines suggesting antibiotics be administered after seven days of symptoms were not supported by the evidence. They concluded that in general, adults diagnosed with acute rhinosinusitis should not receive antibiotics regardless of their symptoms due to the risks for adverse side effects and increased antimicrobial resistance.

No one enjoys being sick, but antibiotics aren't the answer, particularly for common UTIs and cold symptoms. While cold symptoms aren't pleasant to endure, mom's homemade remedies of chicken soup, vitamins and fluids might be just as effective and a lot less risky.

Bels
09-07-2008, 18:20
Funny! That's what my doctor always told my family. take an aspirin and also what you said.

But in Russia,antibiotics are readily available from doctors, and you don't need a doctor's prescription to get it from a chemist. The other commonly known fact given to us by doctors is that eventually these antibiotics might not be effective when you most need them.

Galya
09-07-2008, 19:02
Actually, some 20 or so years ago it wasn't that bad here. We didn't grow up on antibiotics, and I remember I was shocked when started to live abroad with my husband and later with our little daughter every time whatever the problem was doctors always gave antibiotics, even to little kids. Now it's the same in Russia. It seems to me these doctors don't even know the difference between virus and bacteria.

ultimotattie
09-07-2008, 19:22
Don't they still use bacteriophages for bacteria in Russia?

Albertina
09-07-2008, 20:18
Vitamins also do not help when a person already is sick - there is no evidence for it. But they say that Chicken Broth helps against cold.

As for me, it's either 7 days with medications or a week without...

米乐龙
09-07-2008, 23:54
Eat healthy, exercise regulary and make sure you take your vitamins. These 3 things act like a firewall to colds and even if one manages to slip past it will only be some minor symtoms for 12-24 hours.

Katrine L
10-07-2008, 03:09
Here is an interesting article:

According to a recent study published in the British medical journal Lancet, about a third of patients who go to their doctor for upper respiratory tract infections (UTIs) are diagnosed with acute rhinosinusitis, and 80 percent of those patients receive antibiotics even though doctors don't have clear criteria for distinguishing between viral and bacterial infections.

Why is this an important distinction? It's important because while bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics, viral infections cannot. If you take antibiotics for a viral infection, they won't help and actually might harm you. The Centers for Disease Control emphasizes this point on its Web site:

"Are you aware that colds, flu, most sore throats, and bronchitis are caused by viruses? Did you know that antibiotics do not help fight viruses? It's true. Plus, taking antibiotics when you have a virus may do more harm than good. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed increases your risk of getting an infection later that resists antibiotic treatment."

The Lancet study involved 2,547 adults with clinical signs and symptoms of rhinosinusitis (nasal discharge, discomfort in the cheeks and/or face, cough, cold). The researchers determined that guidelines suggesting antibiotics be administered after seven days of symptoms were not supported by the evidence. They concluded that in general, adults diagnosed with acute rhinosinusitis should not receive antibiotics regardless of their symptoms due to the risks for adverse side effects and increased antimicrobial resistance.

No one enjoys being sick, but antibiotics aren't the answer, particularly for common UTIs and cold symptoms. While cold symptoms aren't pleasant to endure, mom's homemade remedies of chicken soup, vitamins and fluids might be just as effective and a lot less risky.

Sounds true. I've got recently strange virus that caused strong deep cough going from langs but no symptoms more. And I took couple tablets of antibiotics. Next morning I felt myself totally destroyed and got full sympthoms of strong virus infection - cough,rhinits, headache and other sympthoms of some kind of flue. I felt myself disgusting for several days and hardly could move, think etc. Some sympthoms have still remained.. strange things - I have not got a cold anywhere. Was it because of antibiotics?:confused1:
My chemist told me that quinine is much more effective for struggling viruses..

Any opinions?

Katrine L
10-07-2008, 03:16
Eat healthy, exercise regulary and make sure you take your vitamins. These 3 things act like a firewall to colds and even if one manages to slip past it will only be some minor symtoms for 12-24 hours.

I agree with you. But this works not always. We live at very severe environment. And our immune system is constantly under the hard pressure. We have very few opportunities to clean our inside body properly. All these create good environment for viruses which multiplied inside us actually.:11513: And once it found its outcome!