PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Rental Real Estate Required

Carbo
08-07-2008, 17:30
I really want to move from my current apartment. When I first came to Moscow, I wasn't confident enough in my employment stability to get something at the limits of my budget (rightly so, it turned out), and my girlfriend did an fabulous job in finding something close-ish to the centre at a super-cheap price.

However, since that time, I've become more stable, and understood that I really like it here in Moscow, and thus am more confident to live to a standard more like that which I had in the UK.

That being said, I know next to nothing about real estate -- except that it's prohibitively expensive for even the slummiest apartments -- and really need some advice.

Specifically, I'm looking for information about the better areas in which to live; average prices per area; average prices per room with evropeskiy remont (per square meter analysis is meaningless to me, not because I'm an imperial measurements kind of chap, but because I simply can't picture it), so I need to know something like 'for an average sized 3 room apartment in Oktyabrskaya, you can expect to pay XXX'; what to look out for in a place; little gems of areas (for instance, Taganskaya ploschad smells a car choked virtual emphysema zone, whereas the area from there on the way down to the Yauza and Moskva is lovely; any agent recommendations (ones that don't charge a 25% premium because they have an English language website and lovely girls who speak perfect English to take you round their properties.

I'd be much obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction in terms of the abovementioned information on these matters; in touch with an agent who would give some impartial, free of charge advice; perhaps foums or websites where I landlords offer their apartments direct as opposed to through agencies; and whether price increases are starting to slow down, or even stop (probably too much to ask, I know, but the credit crunch forced many Russian banks to close or tighten loan requirements on their mortage books -- surely having some effect).

I like busy active places, and don't have a car, so metro/bombila is my mode of transport.

Any help?