PDA

View Full Version : If I have Temporary Residence Permit do I need a VISA???

BeachBum
06-07-2008, 14:51
Simple question which in the RF can mean a complicated question. :question:

Here goes.

If I have a Temporary Residence Permit ( I will soon apply)... Given that I will need to work at a foreign Embassy??????

After I have this TRP - WILL I NEED A VISA, any type of VISA????

,,,,,Anybody????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks!!!! :7525:

Bels
06-07-2008, 15:27
Is it your countries Embassy? Because if anybody who should know how to employ their own foreign staff, it would be them, and they should be guiding you as the experts they should be.

But no you don't need a visa, but your employer should have the right to employ you as a foreigner. Once you have permanent, you can work for anyone.

BeachBum
08-07-2008, 10:11
Is it your countries Embassy? Because if anybody who should know how to employ their own foreign staff, it would be them, and they should be guiding you as the experts they should be.

But no you don't need a visa, but your employer should have the right to employ you as a foreigner. Once you have permanent, you can work for anyone.
Yes it is my countries embassy. but they were not very knowledgeable. I got different answers from them, FMS and a lawyer. really did not know who to believe. Ok, so i do not need a VISA. what about a work permit? and can an Embassy provide the document (?) that allows me to file for the work permit? thanks!

Bels
08-07-2008, 12:37
Yes it is my countries embassy. but they were not very knowledgeable. I got different answers from them, FMS and a lawyer. really did not know who to believe. Ok, so i do not need a VISA. what about a work permit? and can an Embassy provide the document (?) that allows me to file for the work permit? thanks!

Some expat correct me If I'm wrong. Your employer simply needs to get a work invitation on your behalf from the ministry of Foreign Affairs, and for them to keep it in file with your contract to be on the safe side. This should be no problem for your employer, as I'm sure you are not their first foreign employee.

That's it, and you don't need to leave the country and apply for another visa.

Next year you can go for permanent visa, and then your employer won't have to do anything. You are free to chose whichever employer you want.

BeachBum
08-07-2008, 17:28
Some expat correct me If I'm wrong. Your employer simply needs to get a work invitation on your behalf from the ministry of Foreign Affairs, and for them to keep it in file with your contract to be on the safe side. This should be no problem for your employer, as I'm sure you are not their first foreign employee.

That's it, and you don't need to leave the country and apply for another visa.

Next year you can go for permanent visa, and then your employer won't have to do anything. You are free to chose whichever employer you want.
Mr Bels, you wrote, "Next year you can go for permanent visa". do you mena Vid Nyezhitilstva?... Also. you wrote, "Your employer simply needs to get a work invitation on your behalf from the ministry of Foreign Affairs". what exactely is this document? Because my "employer' does not like to help by getting documents on my behalf from the Russian government. )))... thanks again.. your posts are really nailing my questions on the head!!! )) May the force be with you!!

Bels
08-07-2008, 18:10
Look at it this way
When an employer wants to employ you as a foreigner, let's assume that the foreign employee knows nothing about the legal issues of employment in Russia, yet this company or embassy in your case is interested in employing you. But they don't know how to legally employ you???? Now doesn't that seem rather strange?? How many foreign employees have they employed in the past.
So you as having a stamp in your passport proving that you have TMP have to go outside Russia to get a different visa????????? Absolute nonsense!!!
All you need is a work invitation of which they get , and a copy of your passport which will show a TMP stamp a the back. This will cover the company in case of any visits from any government dept.

I'm amazed that your employer, especially being an embassy can't help you.

Bels
08-07-2008, 18:22
Sorry, just discussing with my Russian wife. Yes you need a work permit, but not a visa if you already have TMP. New laws. I asked if the application is made at FMS, and she said no, but she doesn't know who you should contact.

Does anbody else know??

Also I'm still amazed as to why your embassy employer is not helping you more, as they should really know. As I stated, with permanent residency you should have no problem.

Come on experienced expats, I need some backup on this one.

BeachBum
08-07-2008, 18:32
Sorry, just discussing with my Russian wife. Yes you need a work permit, but not a visa if you already have TMP. New laws. I asked if the application is made at FMS, and she said no, but she doesn't know who you should contact.

Does anbody else know??

Also I'm still amazed as to why your embassy employer is not helping you more, as they should really know. As I stated, with permanent residency you should have no problem.

Come on experienced expats, I need some backup on this one.
Ok little background. Lets just say my nationality is closely related to yours. Wwe just speak a "different" language" (assuming your a Brit). So here I am a citizen of 'XYZ' working for the Embassy of 'XYZ' in Moscow. I currently have an "embassy sponsored visa"- no I am not a Dip. Never had a "workpermit" of any sort and I have been here over 3 years. So now I want to do the Temp Res Permit. One Lawyer told me I cant file for the TRP with this VISA. But you and others say that is not correct. So I guess the question is: Does a Foregin Diplomatic Mission a.k.a. Embassy have to issue an invitation? or for that matter will employment at this Diplomatic Mission require an invitation or formal work permit?? This is a touch nu to get a correct answer!! ))))

Bels
08-07-2008, 19:02
Ok little background. Lets just say my nationality is closely related to yours. Wwe just speak a "different" language" (assuming your a Brit). So here I am a citizen of 'XYZ' working for the Embassy of 'XYZ' in Moscow. I currently have an "embassy sponsored visa"- no I am not a Dip. Never had a "workpermit" of any sort and I have been here over 3 years. So now I want to do the Temp Res Permit. One Lawyer told me I cant file for the TRP with this VISA. But you and others say that is not correct. So I guess the question is: Does a Foregin Diplomatic Mission a.k.a. Embassy have to issue an invitation? or for that matter will employment at this Diplomatic Mission require an invitation or formal work permit?? This is a touch nu to get a correct answer!! ))))

It is the responsibility of any employer to get you the work invitation, to enable you to get the work permit.

However you have stated that you have never needed a work permit working for your embassy. So why should it change when you have TMP? Perhaps you as a special case won't need a work permit with TRP either.

So I do suggest that you do contact your local FMS and ask two questions.

As an embassy worker, with the special visa I have now, can I apply for TRP?
And will I need a work permit working as an Embassy employee?

I'd love to hear their answers. I bet they will ask you to wait for an answer, as they haven't experienced it before, as you are a special case.

Also I would like to ask you, what advantages are you expecting to have getting this temporary residence, apart from not having to leave the country for upto three years.

BeachBum
08-07-2008, 19:27
It is the responsibility of any employer to get you the work invitation, to enable you to get the work permit.

However you have stated that you have never needed a work permit working for your embassy. So why should it change when you have TMP? Perhaps you as a special case won't need a work permit with TRP either.

So I do suggest that you do contact your local FMS and ask two questions.

As an embassy worker, with the special visa I have now, can I apply for TRP?
And will I need a work permit working as an Embassy employee?

I'd love to hear their answers. I bet they will ask you to wait for an answer, as they haven't experienced it before, as you are a special case.

Also I would like to ask you, what advantages are you expecting to have getting this temporary residence, apart from not having to leave the country for upto three years.
HI the advantage for the TRP is simple. After my current VISA is expired my embassy will no longer sponsor me for a visa. which means I must have A ) A visa or B) a TRP.. this is my home and family so I must live here for now.

I still am up in the air abut what will happen after i get a TRP processed? will this embassy provide an invitation for a work permit?? who knows! ))

Bels
08-07-2008, 19:44
I have no doubt they will if they want to continue your employment. An alternative is to get entrepeneurs license, and work for them freelance legally. You will be responsible for your own taxes at 6%, and you will have to bill them. Yes you can do it with temporary residence, as that's what I have got.

BeachBum
09-07-2008, 08:43
I have no doubt they will if they want to continue your employment. An alternative is to get entrepeneurs license, and work for them freelance legally. You will be responsible for your own taxes at 6%, and you will have to bill them. Yes you can do it with temporary residence, as that's what I have got.
Wel this opens up a whole new topic for conversation. But that is later. I will keep you posted on the TRP info. Making the FBI check now and when Ive got the results in a few weeks will make the application for TRP. thanks again fro all your help.

mirfanh
07-08-2008, 15:36
Dear one
Yes u need both , TMP and Work Visa to get any job including jobs in Embassy ,u will be treated as Foriegn Citizen living in Russia ,Embassy worries little in this case until u have employed by the Foriegn office of the Country of which u are seeking emplyment .
Irfan

Bels
07-08-2008, 15:45
Dear one
Yes u need both , TMP and Work Visa to get any job including jobs in Embassy ,u will be treated as Foriegn Citizen living in Russia ,Embassy worries little in this case until u have employed by the Foriegn office of the Country of which u are seeking emplyment .
Irfan

You are confusing the issue!! The whole point of having a TMP is that you don't need a visa.

You must be talking about a work permit, and in regards to a TMP you can only get a work permit by being employed by an authorised employer.

Once you have permanent residency after a year, you won't need a work permit, as you can be employed like any other Russian.

moscowbni
12-08-2008, 15:48
I just applied for TRP. Now I am waiting for a week to see if they accept it.

A few interesting things happened. Notes below.

The documentation list did not require a copy of my current visa, but they still asked for a copy of my visa, registration, and Migration card. I was worried because the Russian spelling of my name, in my visa and Work Permit Plastice Card, is different (and incorrect) than the notorized translation of my passport...and my wife's last name.

So far the incorrect spelling of my name on my visa doesn't seem to be a concern...however, the spelling of my name is correct everywhere else in all other legal documents. They examined all the documents in minute detail, then barely glanced at my current Visa, and accepted it with my comment that the Russian Consulate screwed up the spelling. Strange...wondering if this will come back to bite me.

The application asked for a list of my employers for the last 5 years...Foreign addresses were accepted. No proof of Legaly working in Russia was required. The most recient Company is my current employer who have given me a work permit, and I am currently here on a work visa.

I was told not to fill out the financial information (how much I made last year), this information is not required for the TRP, but will be required when I apply for perminant registration (and get a green card)

They gave me a double sided form that is A3 size (two pages wide), and told me to make a copy of it and to turn in the two applications. Don't make a copy on 4 seperate A4 pages...the "COPY" must be A3 double sided copy exactly like they gave you when you started.

janet72
12-08-2008, 17:19
Hello! Im working in a company who is processing visa for all foreigners so if you need assistance you just visit us or if you have inquiries Our company website is STP GROUP of Companies (http://www.stp-global.com) and our office is located in sportivanaya.

Penguin_The_Great
12-08-2008, 22:06
Simple question which in the RF can mean a complicated question. :question:

Here goes.

If I have a Temporary Residence Permit ( I will soon apply)... Given that I will need to work at a foreign Embassy??????

After I have this TRP - WILL I NEED A VISA, any type of VISA????

,,,,,Anybody????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks!!!! :7525:

No, you will not need a visa to be in Russia.
However, if you need to leave Russia and come back in, you will need to apply for TRP visa at FMS. Otherwise you will not be allowed back into the country.

If you have TRP, you will still need a separate work permit. However, if you are working at a foreign Embassy, you might not need Russian work permit (foreign embassies are legally considered foreign soil, right?), but I don’t know for sure.

Penguin_The_Great
12-08-2008, 22:23
Oh, also if you are a TRP holder, you don’t need any specific company to apply for work permit on your behalf. Supposedly, you can do it on your own at the FMS.
However, from what I’ve heard, getting a work permit has become a real problem lately, at least in Moscow. FMS ran out of work permit “quotas” or something, and now those who have TRP are really stuck. They have to have legal source of income to maintain their residency status. At the same time, they can’t get a work permit!

Bels
12-08-2008, 22:32
Oh, also if you are a TRP holder, you don’t need any specific company to apply for work permit on your behalf. Supposedly, you can do it on your own at the FMS.
However, from what I’ve heard, getting a work permit has become a real problem lately, at least in Moscow. FMS ran out of work permit “quotas” or something, and now those who have TRP are really stuck. They have to have legal source of income to maintain their residency status. At the same time, they can’t get a work permit!

I have got what's called an entrepeneurs license, registered at the tax office. You can then function as a self employed individual. If you wish to work for a company,there shouldn't be a problem working for them. In fact you will be saving them a lot of paperwork, and you will be legal. Of course you will be responsible for your own taxes at 6%.