PDA

View Full Version : Current info please ... where can VISA be obtained?

frankjohn2
06-07-2008, 07:24
For a US citizen?

I have read that a person must return to their country of origin to get a visa and also that a visa may be obtained at any Russian embassy with a 10-14 day waiting period. So, which is it?

Can anyone PLEASE share their current, recent experiences?

Thanks in advance!

James22
31-07-2008, 21:22
The best way to know if to call the embassy in question. For all these past years I could go to what ever country I wanted. Am an American and this year am going to Canada to visit a friend but found that they do not give visas there to non Canadians unless you have a residency permit to be in Canada.

So I will fly to NYC for a day to get one there and I noticed on their phone recording that they only give to foreigners if they are in the USA officially - meaning no tourists.

So call and find out it bet way

Transparent Theatre
31-07-2008, 21:33
So, which is it?

It's both. The rule was recently softened, so that if you are a US citizen applying at a Consulate outside the USA you now CAN have a visa, BUT you must wait 10 days for it.

I believe this is an exact tit-for-tat reciprocal arrangement reflecting what happens to Russians applying for US visas whilst outside Russia.

Bels
31-07-2008, 22:01
Fair enough, but he's talking about applying in his country of origin. Is it still 10-14 days wait. It's possibly a bit longer in countries such as London UK. Although if he had residency rights in UK it's a same-day service.

But what is the waiting time for an American who applies in the USA, as its still sameday for Brits,.

Even though the British government are not on good terms with Russia at the moment, what with Lutvienko, and how they treat BP management with work visas, and with the BP/TNK director forced to go into hiding in Britain and has to control his big company from Britain, when the company is in Russia I doon't know.

Now the fact is that BP/TNK will be in the headlines, but can you imagine what other investing British companies and th are suffering in Russia.

Does Russia not recognise that Britain and its companies are the biggest investors into Russia, and that if they they eased off it could be a lot more.
Last statistics I saw was 30 billion pounds to Russia at the first half of year 2007. I don't know after that.

My guess is that a major amount of that investment came from the British side of Shell and of course BP. And let's not forget the high technology level that these companies bring in. I hear that Russia for example loses half their energy of gas into the air as complete waste, and it people like BP that can reduce this down to 5%. I;'m sorry, but it's only what I'm reading.

Same as petrol and diesel, it needs refining and purified, as well as BP efficiently searches and digs for oil. SO LEAVE THEM ALONE, AS THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

johnsemlak
01-08-2008, 14:15
Two weeks ago I got a Visa in NY on the same day. I am a US citizen. Paid $300, for 3-month single entry. Was very efficient really. They did require an HIV test though but accepted a Russian test. No letter from employer was required.

Regarding non-Americans, the only thing I noticed was there was an announcement that Canadians had to wait a minimum of two weeks for their visas, while EU citizens (not including GB, Ireland, and Denmark if memory serves) could get any type of visa in 6-10 days for $100.

rgreen
02-08-2008, 17:38
In May I got a 30 day tourist visa in the USA. I used an agency. I could have gotten any type of visa in 1 day if I was willing to pay enough. HOWEVER, it takes a long time to get a business INVITATION. The agency I used said something like 2 weeks.

In June I went to Litvia to get a 3 month double entry business visa. The only option was to wait 10 days ( actually 12 as the day you hand in and the day you pick up is not in the 10 days ). Cost $100 and no 5 day waiting period after getting visa.

nyinrussia
03-08-2008, 10:03
I just came back from getting my visa renewed as it ran out before recieveing my now trp. We were told by our local immigration office that you can go to Finnland, UK or Usa to get your visa but it will take at least 3-5 business days. That being said the more money your willing to pay the less time it will take. Of course I chose to vist my realatives and go home but you can goto another country. However you are supposed to leave the country.

frankjohn2
11-08-2008, 00:25
Fair enough, but he's talking about applying in his country of origin.

Actually, I need to know IF and WHERE an American can apply OUTSIDE of the US or must an American citizen fly back to the US? It seems (from another forum post I read somewhere) that a visa can be obtained in Kiev with a 10 day wait -- but are there other options? The wait time is not as important as the location. I do NOT want to have to fly from Europe to the US just to get a Russian VISA if it can be avoided.

With all of the confusion caused by the 90/180 day rule, I am looking for CURRENT experiences. :)

Thanks to all for the comments so far ...

J.D.
11-08-2008, 06:18
I just got a 30 day double entry in Switerland. Was told I could have it same day if I could show some long term permision to live in Switerland otherwise I would have to wait two weeks. I didn't have this permission but I was able to get it same day using the 'Russian method'.

jimmyS
04-09-2008, 09:46
Regarding non-Americans, the only thing I noticed was there was an announcement that Canadians had to wait a minimum of two weeks for their visas, while EU citizens (not including GB, Ireland, and Denmark if memory serves) could get any type of visa in 6-10 days for $100.

Russian Embassy in Canada used to offer different service levels based on amount paid, anywhere from 2 weeks to same day. I always went with same day (in @ 9:30, visa ready at 12:00) for $300. to get it out of the way.

Effective June 1st, 15 working day processing (3 weeks) is all that is offered. $75 single entry, $100. double entry, $200. multi entry.

Why Canada is different from everywhere else makes no sense to me.

salmoxis
04-09-2008, 10:05
Actually, I need to know IF and WHERE an American can apply OUTSIDE of the US or must an American citizen fly back to the US? It seems (from another forum post I read somewhere) that a visa can be obtained in Kiev with a 10 day wait -- but are there other options? The wait time is not as important as the location. I do NOT want to have to fly from Europe to the US just to get a Russian VISA if it can be avoided.

With all of the confusion caused by the 90/180 day rule, I am looking for CURRENT experiences. :)

Thanks to all for the comments so far ...
I'm a US Citizen, have gotten RUS visas in various embassies, since the rule change I got my last visa in Ulaan Baatar Mongolia, which by the wayis a very nice embassy. But I hat to wait the ten days, no ifs ands or buts - Applied on 27 May and received on 9 June...the price was $131 USD for Multiple-entry, year long, Scientific-technical exchange visa.
Hope that helps, but I would agree with the advice of calling the embassy in question before you go to that particular country...

Elizabeth
13-09-2008, 09:00
I just had an idea a few weeks ago that I'd like to share here... I bet it is quite easy for an American to get a long-term multi-entry visa to Ukraine. I remember when we still had the visa system with Ukraine, I had a 2 year visa just because I wanted to go for 5 days! So for my next visa I am going to explore that option--get a Ukrainian visa, then I will have permission to remain in Ukraine for more than 90 days!

Periwinkle
13-09-2008, 11:04
I just had an idea a few weeks ago that I'd like to share here... I bet it is quite easy for an American to get a long-term multi-entry visa to Ukraine. I remember when we still had the visa system with Ukraine, I had a 2 year visa just because I wanted to go for 5 days! So for my next visa I am going to explore that option--get a Ukrainian visa, then I will have permission to remain in Ukraine for more than 90 days!

I think you can go to Ukraine for a month or two without visa

Surfsup37
13-09-2008, 16:34
FrankJohn,

As you can tell from the responses is it really depends on the Embassy, the person you talk to at the embassy, and whether someone might accept the "Russian" way.

The official law as I understand it states that in order for I, an American to obtain a Russian visa in a third country, I must be a legal resident of that country.

Example: I have legal residency in Germany, UK, or the Ukraine. I can then obtain a Russian Visa, though I will have to wait 2 business weeks.

If I do not have legal residency, then I must go back to the US. That is the official rules.

Now, different Russian Embassies are interpreting/enforcing that law differently.

An American posted that he went to Ukraine, applied for short-term legal residency (my understanding is that it is very easy to obtain), and then took that to the Russian embassy in Kiev, and got his visa in a couple of days.

Another American posted that he went to Finland, and was refused a visa. He met up with another American in the Finland who was given a visa the day beore. :rant: That American ended up flying back to the US.

I got a 3 month Business visa this summer in the US through an agency, and the visa wasn't valid for 3 business days. Again, my understanding is that in the US the law is 5 days.

The theory/reason behind the waiting period, is that the American government conducts a background check on Russians entering the US. The average time for this background check is 10 days, but in some cases it can be longer. Therefore, the Russian Embassy can process your visa in one day, but then your visa will not be valid until 10 business days after it was processed. The Russian government is not actually conducting a detailed background check, but it is play back for the duration of the American background check.

You throws the dice, and you take your changes. Good luck.

:bash:

Bels
13-09-2008, 17:34
I have pasted the Russian embassy in London site many times here. It clearly states that a non resident American can apply there, in fact they have their own application form. But you will have to wait 14 days. I can't see the sense in it. Why do non resident Americans have to wait? When others get their visa on the sameday if they wish. What's the big deal? Why do they do it?

wren
09-10-2008, 00:45
You can get the tourist visa or the 3month/work visa in Istanbul if you wait the 10-14 days there. They also have some nice hostels not too far from the Russian Embassy, and right near the main walking/shopping strip. It's a good place to pick up cheaper clothes, too, if you know where to look.