PDA

View Full Version : Temp Res Permit - Criminal Background Check - Requirements

BeachBum
05-07-2008, 14:23
Question Everybody

I will soon be making the application for the Temporary Residence Permit. One question:

Cna anybody please tell me the exact requirement for the Criminal Background Check.

1) Must be FBI background check. YES??
2) Must have fingerprint cards? Or what is the exact requirement to satisfy FMS? Fingerprint cards w/ FBI stamp or something?
3) Apostille from West Virginia???
4) one guy said staples affixing the Apostille can be a deal breaker? YES??

Thanks everybody for all the help!! ))

Happy 4th of July!:D

Bels
05-07-2008, 14:43
I'll leave that question for an American to answer. But generally all the FMS requires is a simple police check for immigration purposes, and for it to be legalised or apostiled. No finger prints required on the Russian side.

But readiing previous posts here from Americans, the process is more complicated than a Brit getting his police check with legalisation.

I'll be pleased to answer any questions for Brits on this matter.

Judge
05-07-2008, 16:44
Check this thread out..

http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/48574-procedure-temporary-residency.html

Bels
05-07-2008, 19:23
Yep that about sums it up. There are now several threads on residency, but this is still one of the better ones. Condensed in one small space.

Larry Paradine
05-07-2008, 23:36
A week ago I received my "spravka" from the CRO in London (at least, I assume that a simple letter merely stating that my name isn't on their computer record will suffice, though my Russian wife thinks that OVIR will expect something more elaborate, a diploma type certificate with an embossed heading and a categorical statement along the lines of "This man is not Lord Lucan!" in bold type). As soon as it arrived, I e-mailed the British Consulate in Moscow to ask if I could have the apostille attached there, instead of having to send the letter to the FCO in london, and two days ago I sent them a second letter, but to date I've received no reply. I've looked through all the correspondence on this subject but can't find any concrete information, in the sense of either someone who has had the apostille affixed at the Consulate or been refused such a service and told to apply to the FCO in London. Perhaps someone out there can fill this lacuna in my knowledge?

Bels
05-07-2008, 23:45
A week ago I received my "spravka" from the CRO in London (at least, I assume that a simple letter merely stating that my name isn't on their computer record will suffice, though my Russian wife thinks that OVIR will expect something more elaborate, a diploma type certificate with an embossed heading and a categorical statement along the lines of "This man is not Lord Lucan!" in bold type). As soon as it arrived, I e-mailed the British Consulate in Moscow to ask if I could have the apostille attached there, instead of having to send the letter to the FCO in london, and two days ago I sent them a second letter, but to date I've received no reply. I've looked through all the correspondence on this subject but can't find any concrete information, in the sense of either someone who has had the apostille affixed at the Consulate or been refused such a service and told to apply to the FCO in London. Perhaps someone out there can fill this lacuna in my knowledge?

I assume you mean your police check, and that's all it will state. So that's fine. Now you must send it back to FCO for legalising or apostile as some call it. The British Embassy won't help you in this matter

rgreen
08-07-2008, 20:19
This always seemed like such a mystery to me but it is really simple, at least in the USA.

First you must get an original document ( or copy ) and have it notarized. Then in the USA, you take ( or send or have someone take it ) the document ( which MUST have an original notary seal ) to the Secretary of State in the state that issued the document. The Sec of State then guarantees that the PERSON WHO SIGNED THE NOTARY has the legal right to notarize the document. ( make sure that the notary signs it so the name is easy to read - if not, get the persons name. In my case, the Sec of State could not read the signature and I had to go back to the signer to get her name ). In Colorado it cost $2 for next day service and $17 for 1 hour service.

I had no idea how this all worked but I found a site on the internet that provided all the info for about $20. I was able to download it to my computer and make copies. It explained all and has all the addresses you need for all 50 states. I am not very good with computers but if anyone from the USA needs this info, message me and I will try to send you the info.