PDA

View Full Version : Visa Change if Passport Changes?????????

Zago
04-07-2008, 23:40
Please help. I am an Indian National living in Moscow. I am accredited with GRP. My passport has been changed on expiry but my russian multi visa has old passport number. Do i need to change my visa? Please help as I don't want the trouble of contacting the visa department.:(

Tara2007
05-08-2008, 14:02
Yes, the passport number in the visa should be the same like your current valid passport.
Depend on what kind of visa you are in Russia:
1) If it's a visa you did in Moscow (like work visa for 1 year, may be student visa (so all kinds of visas converted from the short-entry visa to the multi-entry in Moscow by Moscow authorities) you can just ask the person at your company who is responsible for your visa to take your documents to the authorities and (usually it takes about 7 days) they'd just put a new passport number on your old visa (I did it with the work visas (separate visa from the passport, not like usual sticker visa).
2) Otherwise (if it's a sticker visa issued by the Russian embassy in other country - like usual business visas) you may have problems!
So it's always better to change your passport out of Russia if you have a regular type of visa (business, guest...). The visa will be new at this case (invitation should be new as well :sunny:). So it's all about the papers.

Reverend
08-08-2008, 18:40
Yes. Absolutely. And do not waste a minute about this or you'll be sorry.

the1&only
11-01-2009, 16:54
I had something of the same problem about 2 months ago. I went to my visa sponsors and they asked immigrations about changing my visa to my new passport but they told my sponsors that it was not necessary under new guidelines they are going by. This was not known by the boarder control in Briansk (city where you exit Russia when traveling by train to Kiev) and I had a very long night and was sent back to Moscow. Everything turned out alright because my visa sponsors fixed the problem and I was issued a new visa to leave the country and had no problems receiving a new visa. I just tell you this story so if someone tells you you shouldn't change the visa make sure you get some kind of notarized document from them that gives these guidelines. I tried to speak with the boarder guys but they are impossibly stupid and don't even have a computer to process anything. I had to sit while they hand wrote everything. Oh and they told me straight out that "the law is what they say it is" so make sure you have documents to back yourself up all the time because I don't want any of my fellow expats to fall victim to such idiots.

herald1973
11-01-2009, 17:30
I can confirm that in September I had to change passport and I was told to apply for a new VISA then also. Even if in Italy some agencies told it was not necessary and I could keep the old VISA or transfer the old VISA to the new passport, still the Russian HR dept made me apply for a totally new VISA.

Herald

Wissam
12-01-2009, 01:42
So, in putting a valid visa in a new passport, you need a new invitation and start the process all over again?

Zago
26-01-2009, 21:55
So, in putting a valid visa in a new passport, you need a new invitation and start the process all over again?

NO, NO need of new invitation. You just have to produce your new passport and the visa with old passport number. It will take 1 week to 10 days to get your visa with your new passport number corrected in that same visa. JUST chaeck carefully that there is stamp of MVD on the new passport number on the visa!!!