PDA

View Full Version : Question to parents of preschoolers

SunnyBunny
30-05-2004, 20:02
We are moving to Moscow this summer and I am a bit nervous as I heard that there may not be much to do with kids there.

What stuff do/can you do with an active preschooler in Moscow?

Here in Canada we are spoiled in terms of a great variety of classes, gymnastics, swimming, music, arts, etc etc. this is on top of a few hours a day of preschool.

I know that a popular choice for many Russian families with preschoolers is a full time detskij sad (daycare/nursery school) but being a SAHM I am not sure I want to send my 4yo off for the whole day (maybe part time if I can find the place)

Any advice on preschool entertainment? (I do speak Russian)

Thanks so much for your advice!!

camus
30-05-2004, 20:12
Originally posted by SunnyBunny
We are moving to Moscow this summer and I am a bit nervous as I heard that there may not be much to do with kids there.

What stuff do/can you do with an active preschooler in Moscow?

Here in Canada we are spoiled in terms of a great variety of classes, gymnastics, swimming, music, arts, etc etc. this is on top of a few hours a day of preschool.

I know that a popular choice for many Russian families with preschoolers is a full time detskij sad (daycare/nursery school) but being a SAHM I am not sure I want to send my 4yo off for the whole day (maybe part time if I can find the place)

Any advice on preschool entertainment? (I do speak Russian)

Thanks so much for your advice!!

You can do whatever you can in Canada. The only question is: can you afford to pay for it ?

SunnyBunny
30-05-2004, 21:37
Thanks, camus

I know that most everything in Moscow is $$$$$. After all isn't Moscow the most expensive city in Europe? we are coming prepared...lol

Can you recommend any places that will have stuff for preschoolers? I looked up gyms and other than World Class Gyms I did not see many offering classes for kids. Maybe I am looking in a wrong place.
We are trying to decide on an area where to live and this may help with the decision.
Thanks again.

camus
30-05-2004, 21:56
Thanks, camus

I know that most everything in Moscow is $$$$$. After all isn't Moscow the most expensive city in Europe? we are coming prepared...lol

Can you recommend any places that will have stuff for preschoolers? I looked up gyms and other than World Class Gyms I did not see many offering classes for kids. Maybe I am looking in a wrong place.
We are trying to decide on an area where to live and this may help with the decision.
Thanks again.

Gyms in Moscow are a bit of a pain. WorldClass and such are at the higher end of the price spectrum. You can find somewhat cheaper stuff if you ask around (Universities often will sell gym memberships and there are some smaller gyms around which you won't find online). Even if you just want to lift weights, though, the absolute low end is about $40 a month.

As far as kids go, I don't have any myself, but I have friends who do. I'm told there are whole entertainment complexes with everything imagineable for children. As a matter of reference one of the people I know who has children is Russian middle cl**** the other is plain wealthy. The middle class guy is always complaining that nothing is within his budget...

Pingu
31-05-2004, 10:37
First, I'd recommend you do a search on this site, which should help to answer some of your questions in detail.

In terms of preschools, there are lots here now - many have also recently opened that cater to foreign children or Russians wanting their children to learn a second language (i.e. English/French/etc. speaking), with morning and/or afternoon sessions available. They've all been listed already on various threads.

In terms of activities, most of the gyms have facilities for children - swimming, gym classes, playroom, creche, etc. Again, they've all been listed previously. Planet Fitness has a pool area with a slide, etc. but I understand that children are only allowed in the big pool when part of a lesson (i.e. not just with parents) - but you'd have to check this. Other gyms with children's facilities include Dr Loder (www.loder.ru), the Atlantis Club (www.atlantis.wtcmoscow.ru) and Sport Line (www.sportline-club.ru).

As Camus mentioned, there are also plenty of playrooms/activity centres. Many are new and are of a Western standard. Price-wise, you'd expect to pay between 50-100 roubles for an hour during the week. There are lots of outdoor playareas and large parks all over town, which is a good alternative during the summer. There are also quite a few restaurants that organise weekend brunch children's entertainment (some only during the winter).

You might try to contact Barbara Spier, as she's published a relocation guide with a chapter dedicated to children (her email has been given before).

Sorry I don't have time to give details, but I hope this helps.

SunnyBunny
31-05-2004, 10:57
thanks so much for this great info!

bonne
31-05-2004, 17:05
Dear Sunny Bunny. We are English Nursery School in Moscow. You can get more information about us, visiting our website at www.englishnursery.ru.
We will work throughout summer and your child will be happily playing and doing some lessons. We have lots of activities in our nursery. Call us at 095-933-2893, we have part-time and full places available.

SunnyBunny
31-05-2004, 19:47
Looks like a wonderful place, bonne.

Does it have to be 5 days a week (full or part time) or 2-3 times a week is possible?

Its great that you are open in summer as I heard Moscow turns into a ghost city when most go to their dachas...

Thanks!

camus
31-05-2004, 20:17
Looks like a wonderful place, bonne.

Does it have to be 5 days a week (full or part time) or 2-3 times a week is possible?

Its great that you are open in summer as I heard Moscow turns into a ghost city when most go to their dachas...

Thanks!

Ghost City Moscow ?! Put down the crack pipe.

sweta
02-06-2004, 14:50
my 2.3 year old son freaks out at english nursery play school..he is going there since last 2 months..3 times in a week....

SunnyBunny
04-06-2004, 09:14
Freaks out??

Do you mean he is scared/acts up there or he likes it?

sweta
04-06-2004, 15:22
he likes it