PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Movies

elis
29-06-2008, 20:05
I'm watching one of my favorites right now: A Good Year. (And for any of you Peter Mayle purists, I fully realize it is not like the book, and that's fine with me.) Love the movie!! The pool scene is fantastic, Albert Finney is divine, as of course is Russell Crowe. Thouroughy enjoyable.

So. What are you watching? And is it a quick torrent download?

elis
29-06-2008, 20:15
"McDonald's is in Avignon. Fish and chips in Marseille. Allons . . ." :)

ultimotattie
29-06-2008, 21:20
Well I have a copy of 'Damnation' to watch soon by Bela Tarr, the synopsis sounds quite good, but I was not a big fan of Werckmeinster Harmonies by the same director, so who knows.

DJ Biscuit
29-06-2008, 21:38
"McDonald's is in Avignon. Fish and chips in Marseille. Allons . . ." :)

My sister lives near Avignon! It's not a film title, just a totally irrelevant fact.

One of my favourite films is Dead Man with Jonny Depp.

I think films are like songs, your favourite ones change depending on mood.

elis
29-06-2008, 21:38
Sounds positively gloomy . . . Yikes!

elis
29-06-2008, 21:41
My sister lives near Avignon! It's not a film title, just a totally irrelevant fact.

So WTF are you doing here? Or do you not like your sister? (:11030:)

I think films are like songs, your favourite ones change depending on mood.

Agree.

DJ Biscuit
29-06-2008, 21:47
A great question and one that has been on my mind a lot lately.

It's a fantastic area to live.

But I have a few things to do here first and what would I do with my cat?

kapione
29-06-2008, 21:48
Kevin Bacon's "the Big Picture" is my favourite movie/film

DJ Biscuit
29-06-2008, 22:25
Big Fish
Happiness (torrid and hard but a must see) - by Todd Solondz.
Underground - by Kusturica
Black cat, White Cat - also Kusturica
A Night on Earth - by Jim Jarmusch

Mirka
30-06-2008, 08:49
Guys there is so many great movies I dont know where to start :)
Yesterday I wached movie called Jude with Kate Winslet, very interesting.
On Friday and Saturday I watched mini series called The Impressionists which is biography of Monet, Manet, Degas, Cesanne, Renoir and also writer Zola was mentioned. Very interesting review of their life and work. If anyone interested would be happy to share.
Then I love movies like Snatch, Sleepers, Fight club, Hitchhiker guide to the galaxy, Monty Python movies.... Oh it so many :)

elis
30-06-2008, 09:30
. . . and what would I do with my cat?

You'd take her/him with you. Duh!!! If my 14 yo cat could make it all the way here from the US, your kitty can certainly make it to France. Think of all the delicious lizards he/she could bring you as presents!

elis
30-06-2008, 09:35
Some of those sound very deep! I guess I'm less intellectually inclined when it comes to my movie viewing:

Cinema Paradiso
Life is Beautiful

It's a Wonderful Life (!!)

Gladiator

Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
(Yes. Love war movies)

Mostly Martha (!!!)

LalaLu
30-06-2008, 16:48
The film, one of my favourite subject. I can name hundreds of films which I liked, but I will mention some of my favourite directors. Peter Greenaway is one of them, the most I liked '' The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover'', of course Lars von Trier, Gus vas Sant, Woody Allen ( I prefer the ones in which he is not playing, ''Melinda and Melinda'' or ''Another woman'' for example), I enjoyed every Quentin Tarantino's films, Stanley Kubrick too. DJ Biscuit mentioned Emil Kusturica and Jim Jarmusch ( ''Stranger Than Paradise'' is my fav) which are also good directors.

elis
30-06-2008, 17:05
I've always found that Woody Allen movies are more entertaining when watched with a group of people. Match Point--which was an excellent--being an exception.

Totally forgot about Stranger Than Paradise. Great movie, but made me want to take a shower after seeing it . . .

And yes. Who could forget Pulp Fiction. Some of my favorite movie lines . . .

Orion
30-06-2008, 17:25
Life is Beautiful

Life Is Beautiful was great...right up until that ending. At that point it became simply infuriating.

Judge
30-06-2008, 23:37
Too many films to mention,many great films have already been mentioned above.... but of the recent films I have seen...

The Man from Earth ..
Bank Job.
Futurama....The Beast with a Billion Backs....Bender is back in action...:focus:
American Gangster.

Albertina
30-06-2008, 23:53
Judge, I like your football tastes better :D Sorry, I'm not in a mood! :focus:

elis
01-07-2008, 00:14
Judge, I like your football tastes better :D Sorry, I'm not in a mood! :focus:

:Loco:

American Gangster was awesome!

elis
01-07-2008, 00:22
Life Is Beautiful was great...right up until that ending. At that point it became simply infuriating.

I had another friend who got his knickers in tizzy over it as well.

I don't know. There's something so poignant about the little boy hollering out "Abbiamo vinto, Pappa!" without realizing what really happened . . .

I guess one can choose to look at it as a war movie and it can be irritating. But if you look at it as a metaphor for protecting your loved ones against the ugly evil world that lurks around us it's heartwarming. (ugh . . . I hate that word.)

Miracle77777
01-07-2008, 00:27
I'm watching one of my favorites right now: A Good Year. (And for any of you Peter Mayle purists, I fully realize it is not like the book, and that's fine with me.) Love the movie!! The pool scene is fantastic, Albert Finney is divine, as of course is Russell Crowe. Thouroughy enjoyable.

So. What are you watching? And is it a quick torrent download?

Ah!!!!
You just mentioned my fave movie, Elis!!!!
I think this one is extremely interesting.....nice.....calm......after watching it - you could renew your system of values:D
And R.Crowe,as you said - is absolutely genius.....as everywhere on other movies:)

Miracle77777
01-07-2008, 00:28
A great question and one that has been on my mind a lot lately.

It's a fantastic area to live.

But I have a few things to do here first and what would I do with my cat?

:D
And your sis doesn't like cats?
;)

Albertina
01-07-2008, 08:36
i'm disappointed by the movie industry, i prefer TV series!

Orion
01-07-2008, 13:46
I guess one can choose to look at it as a war movie and it can be irritating. But if you look at it as a metaphor for protecting your loved ones against the ugly evil world that lurks around us it's heartwarming. (ugh . . . I hate that word.)

I agree with you but here is the other question...Isn't the best way of protecting your loved ones to be around for all of their lives so that you can continue protecting them until the end? The father has to know what is going on, he sees the pandamonium in the camp. He has to feel that if he can just survive the next few hours, the next few minutes that all of this hell might be over. He and his family might be free again.

Putting on the brave face for your son is one thing, but as soon as he and the guard turned that corner it should have been an entirely different scene than the one we watched on screen.

I think the ending betrayed the message that the other 99% of the movie was trying to teach.

elis
01-07-2008, 15:55
I agree with you but here is the other question...Isn't the best way of protecting your loved ones to be around for all of their lives so that you can continue protecting them until the end? The father has to know what is going on, he sees the pandamonium in the camp. He has to feel that if he can just survive the next few hours, the next few minutes that all of this hell might be over. He and his family might be free again.

Putting on the brave face for your son is one thing, but as soon as he and the guard turned that corner it should have been an entirely different scene than the one we watched on screen.

I think the ending betrayed the message that the other 99% of the movie was trying to teach.

Hmmm . . . My recollection on the exact order of events in the movie is a bit hazy. Guess I will need to find it, download, and watch again.

If my memory serves me correctly--which it well may not--wasn't there a bit of inevitability about the dad having to go with the guard? Hence, he--the dad--made the ultimate sacrifice, etc. etc. ??

Judge
01-07-2008, 19:12
:Loco:

American Gangster was awesome!

One of the best 3hr movies out there...Well worth watching again.

Zhenulka
02-07-2008, 13:02
Some of those sound very deep! I guess I'm less intellectually inclined when it comes to my movie viewing:

Cinema Paradiso
Life is Beautiful

I love Cinema Paradiso too! And the Legend of 1900 byt the same director is amazing!

The Night of Earth, Coffee and Cigarettes and Stranger than Paradise are much fun too!

But my favourite is Somebody Likes it Hot, The Apartment and Ed Wood! They are my regulars!

tonihax
16-07-2008, 12:58
Maybe a bit too late but dont forget: Sleuth 2007 with Michael Caine and Jude Law (its a fast torrent download also).

Judge
16-07-2008, 22:26
Maybe a bit too late but dont forget: Sleuth 2007 with Michael Caine and Jude Law (its a fast torrent download also).

It's the 2nd time this week I have heard about the film Sleuth..The film is downloading right now..You are right,very fast download speed,film will be down in less than a hour.
Hope it's good.

LalaLu
17-07-2008, 13:15
You mentioned here about '' Cinema paradiso''. I downloaded and watch it last night. Beautiful and very touching. Thanks for sharing.

xSnoofovich
17-07-2008, 13:42
It's not my favorite tv show, but I just downloaded the first season of Magnum P.I.

Harvallen
21-07-2008, 17:36
Cool, a movie thread! :) Here are some of my altime favs:

Barry Lyndon
Il Novecento
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Once upon a Time in the West
Once upon a Time in America
Scarface
Memento
The Machinist (unbelievable performance by Christian Bale)
American Psycho
The Prestige
Raise the Red Lantern
Paris, Texas
The Shining

Judge
21-07-2008, 23:09
Cool, a movie thread! :) Here are some of my altime favs:

Barry Lyndon
Il Novecento
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Once upon a Time in the West
Once upon a Time in America
Scarface
Memento
The Machinist (unbelievable performance by Christian Bale)
American Psycho
The Prestige
Raise the Red Lantern
Paris, Texas
The Shining

You forgot to mention The Wall..:beerbros::beerbros:

Harvallen
22-07-2008, 02:48
Well, to be honest The Wall is not one of my all time favourite movies. *hides*

Judge
22-07-2008, 21:59
Well, to be honest The Wall is not one of my all time favourite movies. *hides*

Fair enough(hmmmmmm),but the soundtrack rocks..:D:D

Harvallen
23-07-2008, 21:56
Fair enough(hmmmmmm),but the soundtrack rocks..:D:D

No doubt one of the best soundtracks of all time.

LalaLu
24-07-2008, 01:14
I like your avatar. Is it a picture from a film? It makes me think of Reservoir Dogs.

Harvallen
24-07-2008, 20:36
It's the cover of the Pink Foyd album 'Wish You Were Here'.

Judge
30-07-2008, 23:51
Another of my fav films...

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Classic tune...Go get em Clint..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGIelcG0r3s

Last month was true story films for me,this month is all westerns..