PDA

View Full Version : Working/Work Experience in Moscow

Dominic
28-05-2004, 17:01
Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out. In September I'll be studying at the 'Centre of International Education", part of MGU...Russian and Russian for business for an academic year. I've heard that finding work as a foreigner is hard (if not VERY hard) in Moscow. I've already spent 6 months in Russia (Izhevsk) and have studied pretty hard at home trying to master (!) the grammar etc, so I'm hoping that by the end of the year I'll be pretty good at Russian.
My basic question is very vague, so apologies, but what are my chances of finding something that might pay about $1K a month after this academic year? I'm thinking (and please tell me if I'm wrong) that this would cover basic, nothing-fancy accomodation and living costs. I've got a degree (International Relations) from a reasonable British university and over a year's office/admin experience. I'm not too fussed about what I'd be doing, just as long as it wasn't too tortourous. I really don't want to teach English, so that's not really an option for me.
Meanwhile, during this year, I'd really like to get some work experience, if possible. NGOs etc would be ideal. Does anyone know of any that offer (or might with a bit of badgering) work experience?
One more thing: whilst trawling the net for all things Moscow-related, I noticed that some estate agents are looking for Client Managers etc- the requirements didn't look beyond me, and it said that expats are welcome...I'm just wondering if employment at e.g. Evans is worthwhile and if the money is enough for an expat to live on.
If anyone can offer any help whatsoever, I'd be very grateful, and if anyone wants a young, enthusiastic guy to take on baord, don't hesitate :D
Thanks in advance for any advice, enjoy the summer!

Thomas
28-05-2004, 19:43
Domonic

I too took an academic year of russian at CIE. The lessons are good, and I would say I learned a lot on my stay there.

I have had exactly the same idea as you. Go to Russia, learn to speak Russian and then find a job with a modest salary.
I failed.
Maybe its my Education (technical, although it seems they could need qualified people) or maybe its because I am not speaking fluently.
I have had 2 interveiws and no job came out of that. The reason I think maybe because of the higher tax a company have to pay for an expat. Esp. when you want to have a 'normal' payed job, an expat is too expensive. There are russians with degrees from MSU, who speak english well enough, but have jobs that pay less than $400 a month here.
I assume you are a 'native' english speaker, so I would say that teaching english would be the easiest way. I even had a class mate who dropped out, just to teach. Its hard though, I think. Lots of work and not much money.

This is only my experience.

Mz_Vika
09-06-2004, 12:25
I also have the same exact idea the two of you had/have. I would say the only main difference is that I have been studying Russian on my own for two yrs with books, my ex fiance and friends in Russia and I feel it needs more than one academic year which I'm able and willing to take. I don't have a college degree but I'm certified in TEFL. Only problem is, I hate TEFL. To Thomas, I was wondering if you knew about the Moscow Times and Staffwell and Ancor? I just saw on this site that they hire English speakers with Russian. There is also a company that publishes scientific journals but it's an internship for a year and I don't know if you can stay longer than that. If you say yes, you've heard of them and they didn't want you, I will cry lol, cause I'm hoping they will be an option for me if I decide to stay in Russia. I think you might be right about the fluent part though which is why I want to study as long as it takes. I wish both of you good luck and myself. :)

gadfly
11-06-2004, 15:54
I'm editing now - I teach lessons on the side, and I make about 1500 during the school year and 1300 or so a month during the summer. I was thinking of doing the same as you - taking that CIE class. It's mostly for self-improvement, though - go to headhunter.ru if you want to see what jobs pay more than 2000. Usually they're project manager jobs with experience.