PDA

View Full Version : Bones. The Knight on the Grid.

Bels
27-06-2008, 23:49
My wife translates English telivision programmes into Russian, and she has only recently translated an urgent soon to be shown on Russian televisision, called Bones. The Knight on the Grid Soonto be shown any time now, at 7pm.

And although I cant avoid that it has got top viewing in the world, we both felt it was garbage. Ohhhhhh! Pease give us Paddington Bear or anything else from BBC, Please.

But unfortunately my wife has watched Paddington on Russian television and believes she can't compete, as the the translator has grasped the British writers sense of humour very well. Unfortunately BBC does have good translators for Russia.

This might be just for Americans, although the script has already been passed through for Bones.Knight On The Grid
It will be on someday at 7pm weekdays on TV3, but not sure which day

What does the below phrase mean? Of course I haven't given you some of the script to give you a guess, but maybe an American knows immeditiately.Or do they? because that's the kind of statement I have to explain to my wife, and in this case I had to come up with a guess.

"Kid's got chops"

TD
28-06-2008, 00:22
I think the definition that fits this would be the third one, "Slang. musical ability on any instrument, esp. in playing jazz or rock; technical virtuosity."

chops - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chops)

Bels
28-06-2008, 00:35
I think the definition that fits this would be the third one, "Slang. musical ability on any instrument, esp. in playing jazz or rock; technical virtuosity."

chops - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chops)

Thanks for that, but it does look look like like you need to see the script. As it's about disadvantageged or orphaned kids who have lost their father, and due to some cult, their destiny is death. If you this Bones programme, of which I have only studied one series, you might understand.

Here's the phrase again, and my guess is that even Americans don't know it on it's on right. opefully my guess was right, because in helping my wife on this series, it's the only quote which had me stumped.

"Kid's got chops"

ultimotattie
28-06-2008, 00:41
I don't know the context of the scene, but if it is a person talking about a disadvantaged kid doing well, it will mean that he has guts, resilience, staying power and fortitude.

The other main slang term for it would be someone who is excellent at shredding on guitar or freestyling away on any instrument.

However, in the context of the show overview, I would say guts, resilience, staying power and fortitude is the most likely!

Mirka
28-06-2008, 00:49
However, in the context of the show overview, I would say guts, resilience, staying power and fortitude is the most likely!

I agree, know the show and the episode.

Bels
28-06-2008, 01:12
The series is shown regularaly on TV3 midweek in Russia, and this is this is the only episode my wife has translated Knights on the Grid she is without doubt the translator, but she does claim my explanations of the episode helped her a lot, and I hope so. If you see it, please give your comments, because normally whe does higher paid work. But being the Summer, and her her having a young two year old, and me having less hours in teaching during the Summr, even so, she wanted to do it for herself.

My guess is that she will be good, and probably a better trsanslator than the other translators of the series. We will have to wait and see.

Mirka
28-06-2008, 01:28
Will try to watch it. I have seen them all already as original show and love it!

trebor
28-06-2008, 01:29
............"Kid's got chops"

The kid's got courage?

Mirka
28-06-2008, 01:44
I just rewatched the scene and "Kid's got chops" is used when Dr. Sweets explains his theory about the double murder/canibal. The thing is that the whole action of Dr. Sweets was unexpected cos he shouldnt be part of the team but gave great imput to the case. Then Dr. Hodgins said "Kid's got chops" kind of compliment to Dr. Sweets how good his theory and explanation was? Or how smart he is? What do you think?

ultimotattie
28-06-2008, 01:49
I just rewatched the scene and "Kid's got chops" is used when Dr. Sweets explains his theory about the double murder/canibal. The thing is that the whole action of Dr. Sweets was unexpected cos he shouldnt be part of the team but gave great imput to the case. Then Dr. Hodgins said "Kid's got chops" kind of compliment to Dr. Sweets how good his theory and explanation was? Or how smart he is? What do you think?

It is maybe leaning towards more of an ability thing, if the scene is as you describe. The kid has 'something' in relation to ability.

Ah, the tricky nature of translation!

Bels
28-06-2008, 16:11

I think you're right, and thank goodness my wife managed to catch the sound Director just intime to get it changed. Thanks all who contributed, as it has saved us both some embarrassment.

Bels
05-07-2008, 01:05
Good news is that the company, the sound director, and the actors are pleased with my wife's work. So she will now be getting two series a week to translate. Next programme she will be translating is called Standoff.
SHANGHAI’D is the title.

Mirka
05-07-2008, 09:56
Good news is that the company, the sound director, and the actors are pleased with my wife's work. So she will now be getting two series a week to translate. Next programme she will be translating is called Standoff.
SHANGHAI’D is the title.

Very good Bel! Congratulations!