Artist: Desmond Dekker & The Aces Lyrics
Song: Israelites Lyrics

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
so that every mouth can be fed.
Poor me, the Israelite. Aah.

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
So that every mouth can be fed.

My wife and my kids, they are packed up and leave me.
Darling, she said, I was yours to be seen.

Shirt them a-tear up, trousers are gone.
I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.

After a storm there must be a calm.
They catch me in the farm. You sound the alarm.

Poor me, the Israelite.
I wonder who I'm working for.
Poor me, Israelite,
I look a-down and out, sir.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND

trebor
27-05-2004, 11:16
Released 1970 if i am not mistaken?

rantandrave
27-05-2004, 12:19
several different releases, with different backing artists. available for the price of a pint from the "rantandrave brings decent reggae to moscow" fund.

trebor
27-05-2004, 12:33
Okay rantandrave
If you say so.
I only know the original and i think it came out around 1970. skin 'ead classic.
I think it was resurected again at the end of the '70's as ska music.

rantandrave
27-05-2004, 12:50
a classic, definitely, right up there with symarip's original "skinhead girl" (british LP release 1969) and Claudette and the Corporation's "skinheads a bash them" (kingston single release early 1970).

Moscow Wolf
27-05-2004, 17:58
You surprise me there RantandRave I didn't know that you was in to Reggae and more importantly have some of it here in Moscow.

I got a good SKA CD you can have a copy of it you want. My favourite is the LIQUIDATOR. But don't let Lucy Tupperware the Plastic Albi@n Fan hear of it cos he'll claim it's his song!

nexus
28-05-2004, 01:22
Glad to hear there are other like minded souls. Though I couldn't bring all my collection over (mostly vinyl) I've been going through my rootsy stuff recently - especially Don Carlos and Congos. I'd like to get copies of more dancehall if anybody wants to swap (late 80s / early 90s was my fave period)

rantandrave
31-05-2004, 14:15
Sadly, the majority of my vast (hundreds) of reggae records are all on vinyl, much of it was never released in digital format. They are all at home :(
but I have a bit of stuff here, if anyone is interested I can burn CDs. I have a bunch of great Trojan comps (mostly '68-'71 skinhead reggae), Simaryp, and some really good early ska (late 50s early 60s). Still pining for my records though... nothing beats the needle drop and hiss right before Winston Groovy starts crooning :)