PDA

View Full Version : Bringing in electronics to Moscow

Raider
23-06-2008, 00:27
I've just moved back to Moscow and am trying to build up a home theater system. Problem is that many of the electronic components are 2x the price here when compared to the same items in London.

I was thinking of getting an A/V Reciever on my next trip to London and bring it in my hand luggage or well-wrapped in my checked in luggage.

Can this cause a problem at customs?

I'm currently here on a multi entry business visa and in the process of getting a work visa..

woody125
23-06-2008, 06:47
Lots of reports as of late (on FlyerTalk especially) of baggage being gone through at SVO upon arrival. Clothes and books are ignored...electronics are not. Reimbursement of things stolen is a pittance of what it should be. I'd say carry it with you if at all possible.

Even though I say that...I transited last week through SVO from FRA on my way to OVB with a new notebook still in the box in a checked bag. No problem. My experience is no guarentee that yours won't have problems.

Good luck either way!

MissAnnElk
23-06-2008, 08:12
I had a camera stolen from a suitcase at Luton. My dumb fault for putting it there.

lavebug
23-07-2008, 23:20
I have different question what do you do with voltage and also hertz in US 110V 60H, in Russia its 220V 50H. Buying single appliance adapters sucks is there a whole house solution or can you buy RU ready appliances?

MissAnnElk
23-07-2008, 23:30
I have different question what do you do with voltage and also hertz in US 110V 60H, in Russia its 220V 50H. Buying single appliance adapters sucks is there a whole house solution or can you buy RU ready appliances?

I left most of those things behind and bought locally. However, off the top of my head, computers usually just need a plug adaptor as they are designed to work with a wide range. I think North American TVs will not work in Europe even with allowances made for voltage.

I have an appliance adaptor I use for my Kitchen Aid mixer, my handheld mixer, and my electric pencil sharpener. I know expats who have run US refrigerators off them.

Sometimes expat packages include "settling in" money for just this sort of thing.