PDA

View Full Version : current info re: visa in Riga

rgreen
21-06-2008, 21:25
just returned from Riga today.

USA citizen

Tourist visa ended on 08 - 06 - 08, the day I arrived in Riga
On the 9th I applied for 90 day business visa.
must wait 10 days - no other option - 10th to the 20th - really takes 12 days as the day of application does not count and the day to pick up does not count.
returned after 3:00 on the 20th & got my visa
no 5 day waiting period - took 5:30 bus to Moscow on the 20th - no problems
cost $100
had an HIV test but they said not needed
had a letter from business but told it was not needed
had a copy of my insurance card but told needed original - she looked at my original and gave it back to me. no problem
wanted my passport AND a copy of my passport, which I had with me. They gave me a paper to replace my passport until the 20th
needed color photo
at the door they gave me a short application to fill out. The woman at the window said I needed the long 2 page application which I already had filled out, so no problem.
Woman at the window speaks English and was very nice.
Windows 3, 4 , 5 - ONLY 5 takes visa application
Thanks to a nice Russian man who spoke good English, I waited for 1 1/2 hours in the wrong line.

I got there at 10:00 and the line took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. By noon not many people left in line. I would go after noon next time.

Any questions, drop me a note.

PS - Stockmans is next to the bus station and has a very nice supermarket with many items from the USA that I have never seen in Moscow. Also, they have a movie complex - about 15 screens where the movies are in English with Russian and Latvian sub-titles. Very popular