PDA

View Full Version : help fight hunger

peyote
25-05-2004, 16:28
if you're interested there is a website where you can go and click on a button to support donations to fight hunger...

http://www.thehungersite.com/

"one love, one heart... let's get together and be alright"

Here
25-05-2004, 16:42
This is a good idea to supply some links like this one, but sincerely, beeing in Moscow, I find rather more "normal" to actively help people who suffer here. For this, no website is needed, just look at people in the street...

For example, when on the market, seeing a Babushka looking - and just looking at food in a kiosk, what a pleasure to tell her "Please babushka, just tell what you want, don't worry about the price"..

And what a GREAT pleasure to see her smile and eyes a this time.

Alethea
25-05-2004, 16:46
Here,

honestly, do you do this?:) no irony, no sarcasm.

peyote
25-05-2004, 17:07
hey here, i read my post again and couldn't find any suggestion nor hint at disagreeing with other approaches for helping people...

damn! i seriously have to wonder if i'm the only one on drugs here!

Alethea
25-05-2004, 17:18
peyote,

it's a good link.

Here was trying to say that there are too many needy people around and that we could help them as well.

peyote
25-05-2004, 17:23
thanks aletica, i took my schizo pill and i'm not agitated anymore... ah, the power of chemical abuse... ;)

Here
25-05-2004, 17:45
Alethea,

Not every time, but yes, from time to time I do this. Don't yu find it normal ?

Alethea
25-05-2004, 17:53
uh huh....yes:)

I think you are not fibbing - you helped me with avatar , причем совершенно безвозмездно:)

Here
25-05-2004, 18:09
> причем совершенно безвозмездно

ahum... You want pay ? :)

What does "fibbing" mean ? Sorry, I am not a Brit - nor a Yankee :)

Alethea
25-05-2004, 18:18
Я догадалась;) fibbing означает *придумывать, привирать, рассказывать небылицы*, но не несет такого негативного смысла, как *обманывать* или *врать*.

Here
25-05-2004, 18:27
hmmm we will be kicked out if we chat in Russian !

NO NO I am not fibbing. Anyway I don't like speak about helping others, better to do without speaking.
That is why I never support any kind of "public help". Generally, such things are made more to advertize on a group or a company, rather than really helping.
That's like Charity organizations, they spend at least 50% of the funds they collect, only for their organization... What a scandal !

GWL
25-05-2004, 23:31
That's like Charity organizations, they spend at least 50% of the funds they collect, only for their organization... What a scandal !

That's a very strong statement. Can you name charities in Russia that do this? I know charities where the overhead costs are zero (e.g "The Great Russian Run") but you obviously know more. Please name the offenders, as it's important that gullible foreigners (and Russians) don't support the rip-off organisations.

Please let us know who we should not support because they use up their funds in the way you say.

Thanks for alerting us to this problem. I'm sure there are many of us well-meaning expats who will benefit from your advice. Thanks again,

GWL

Here
26-05-2004, 09:04
Dear GWL, I was in France one year ago when the "telethon" was run, a big charity at the TV, during 3 days. I was curious to see that, and found on the web their financial positions for the year before (so, 2002 , if I remember). About 45% of the funds were for their organization, advertizing, etc.
I didn't speak especially of Russia. Just one point: Where is the Red Cross main office , in Moscow ? I hope that they don't pay any rental fee, but that the City Office offers it... Because.. What an office !
What I mean anyway is that when you give personnally xxx rubles (or dollars) to a person in the street (I try to avoid in the metro, as the mafia collects 2 thirds of what the beggers get...), you are sure that the money will be used really by THAT person, and not by any third-party.
And sincerely, I am more aware of street kids in Moscow, than on street kids in Djakarta, Bagdag or anywhere else.
Oh of course, it is less "mediatic" to quietely give some money to a Babushka, or pay for a bania to 2 or 3 "bomj", that giving a check at a public charity, under the big lights !

Alethea
26-05-2004, 12:53
Here,

i agree and disagree at the same time.

Most charity organizations do a terrific work helping people.

Their main task is to gather information , collect money from those who are willing to donate and distribute them among areas/people/ projects.

An example. There is a magazine for well-to-do Russians called DOMOVOY. They have a page where they post letters from VERY poor or seriously ill people who need urgent help ( for instance, young children with cerebral palsy whos parents can't pay for a treatment)

They don't only post those cries for help but also get a confirmation from local authorities/doctors for each case.

Most letters are heartbreaking and it's a relief to read the feedbacks from those who received help after their letters were posted .

Ghost
26-05-2004, 13:19
I wish I could read Russian - I'd love to help.

Alethea
26-05-2004, 13:21
I can translate for you.

Ghost
26-05-2004, 13:25
Originally posted by Here
Oh of course, it is less "mediatic" to quietely give some money to a Babushka, or pay for a bania to 2 or 3 "bomj", that giving a check at a public charity, under the big lights !

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

"so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father in Heaven, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Mathew 6:1-4

Ghost
26-05-2004, 13:26
Originally posted by Alethea
I can translate for you.

I would love that.

peyote
26-05-2004, 19:02
ah, don't you love when the good book comes handy handy?

hey ghost, excellent post... broda mathew says hi. he's talking to my ear now... get away! i hear nothing! ahh! back off wacko! you religious hanky-panky! back off! let go!

ufff, bad day...

Alethea
27-05-2004, 00:00
Originally posted by peyote
ah, don't you love when the good book comes handy handy?

indeed...

The poor and needy search for water,
but there is none;
their tongues are parched with thirst.

But I the Lord will answer them,
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.

I will make rivers flow on barren heights,
and springs within the valleys

Isaiah 41:17-18