PDA

View Full Version : What have you learnt today?

Albertina
16-06-2008, 20:46
What is one new thing, if any, that you have learnt today?

I can't think of any myslef, so I've got ask you :thumbsup:

chertovka
16-06-2008, 23:08
You're making me feel bad cause I cannot think of anything worthy I learned today... Does it mean I just wasted this day? :cry:

TGP
16-06-2008, 23:23
What is one new thing, if any, that you have learnt today?

I can't think of any myslef, so I've got ask you :thumbsup:

I got to know something new from this forum, but I would rather not say aloud what it is.

Albertina
16-06-2008, 23:44
You're making me feel bad cause I cannot think of anything worthy I learned today... Does it mean I just wasted this day? :cry:

Looking at the overwhelming number of replies, I think you are not alone :wavey:

For anyone who will remember what s/he learnt, let's all give a long round of applause :applause:

Gypsy
16-06-2008, 23:46
I learned that there are 49 ways to embarrass yourself in writing.

Albertina
16-06-2008, 23:49
I learned that there are 49 ways to embarrass yourself in writing.

ANd even that you got wrong! It's 46 :D

Gypsy
16-06-2008, 23:51
ANd even that you got wrong! It's 46 :D

Not if you check the thread and add the 3 extra contributed by Bels.

Albertina
17-06-2008, 00:00
Not if you check the thread and add the 3 extra contributed by Bels.

i'd even dare say there are unlimited number of ways to get embarassed...

Gypsy
17-06-2008, 00:08
i'd even dare say there are unlimited number of ways to get embarassed...

I've certainly found more than 46 over the years, yes.

They all seemed to involve alcohol and/or women. Strange.

Albertina
17-06-2008, 00:19
I've certainly found more than 46 over the years, yes.

They all seemed to involve alcohol and/or women. Strange.

Well I don't need help for that! I'm completely capable of self-embarassing :yellowcard:

Albertina
17-06-2008, 21:12
Today I have learnt that things get f&$ed up big time, when you don't expect it at all.
:grind:

chertovka
17-06-2008, 22:16
Today I have learnt that things get f&$ed up big time, when you don't expect it at all.
:grind:
Isn't it one of Murphy's laws? ;-)

SalTheReturn
17-06-2008, 22:24
I have learnt these stuff:

1)the problem is not to find a decent woman/man the problem is to find a decent woman/man you can take with you
2)you have to make what you feel, be good if you feel like being good even if the other person would theorically deserve crap
3)there are things that cannot be planned
4)russian is a crap language in fact you can say
проснулся с разветом or на разветом or перед разветом whilst these differences make no sense to most of human being your russian teacher will think that matters

Albertina
17-06-2008, 22:28
Isn't it one of Murphy's laws? ;-)

Hopefully, this Murphy's law is true: '80% of problems can resolve by themselves and 20% will never be resoled.' So one can relax and not try so hard :jester:

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 22:31
What have I learned today?

That, even when it is sticky and grubby, there is nothing like a child's hand in yours.

That a really good salad is a wonderful thing.

That I really DO like a little wine every day.

That my father has a rather serious diagnosis, and I am glad I'll be home soon to see what's going on, hang out, be a good daughter, make memories. This puts all the other daily s**t in perspective.

That my husband really seems to love me, even when I am tiresome, whiny, and snoring.

That HUGS! are always welcome and appreciated.

That I have never seen more drunk people in public than in Moscow . . . with the possible exception of Kelleys Island, Lake Erie, Ohio. Oh. My. God.

Albertina
17-06-2008, 22:36
Oh! With that youhave credit for he next week! :clown:

xSnoofovich
17-06-2008, 23:12
I learned that expat.ru is a functioning democracy, and I am soon to be President !

and Remember !

Giving away a hug a day makes us a better person in every way !

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 23:16
I learned that expat.ru is a functioning democracy, and I am soon to be President !

Oh, you are TOO cute. HUGS!!!!!

Albertina
17-06-2008, 23:22
HUGGIES

:SwoonLoveSmiley:

hazelnut
17-06-2008, 23:26
girls and guys,
what a nice thread! I'd love to participate, but can't think of a particular thing I've learnt today... :(:(:( hugs, anyway, reading this has made me feel good, thanks

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 23:30
girls and guys,
what a nice thread! I'd love to participate, but can't think of a particular thing I've learnt today... :(:(:( hugs, anyway, reading this has made me feel good, thanks

Well, in truth, Albertina started the thread yesterday. And I couldn't think of anything to say. Even though I knew that surely I had learned something.

AndreyS
17-06-2008, 23:33
girls and guys,

Hazel, you are a creative girl, think up smth. Just for fun.

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 23:34
Hazel, you are a creative girl, think up smth.

Or sleep on it . . . and tell us something tomorrow!

hazelnut
17-06-2008, 23:37
same here, I feel I've learnt a lot, actually, but some things are too personal and some seem too insignificant to publish. But at least one thing: I've learnt that a foreigner can be quite knowlegable at some Russian things, where even some Russians are ignorant, and that's truly amazing and a very pleasant thing to learn!

Albertina
17-06-2008, 23:38

Are you already turning this into 'What I have learnt at night?!' :ignore:

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 23:40
same here, I feel I've learnt a lot, actually, but some things are too personal and some seem too insignificant to publish. But at least one thing: I've learnt that a foreigner can be quite knowlegable at some Russian things, where even some Russian are ignorant, and that's truly amazing and a very pleasant thing to learn!

Oh, the same is true for people visiting the US . .. .

Um . . . maybe.

AndreyS
17-06-2008, 23:40

tonight you mean?

hazelnut
17-06-2008, 23:42
Hazel, you are a creative girl, think up smth. Just for fun.

ok, but when I come up with something astounding please, don't say "you've thought it up", but keep serious faces and say "oh, Hazel, you're great! hugshugshugs" :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

MissAnnElk
17-06-2008, 23:44
ok, but when I come up with something astounding please, don't say "you've thought it up", and keep serious faces and say "oh, Hazel, you're great! hugshugshugs" :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I promise. I'll say something nasty instead. I swear . . .

Albertina
17-06-2008, 23:55
Yesterday, I learnt that I accumulate information and load my memory; or I solve problems, or make things happen at work; but rarely do I really learn... :rant: That needs to change :idea:

I don't really consider learning a foreign language, before you get to the stage when you grasp new concepts, as a true learning.

elis
18-06-2008, 00:17
I found this thread a day late. However, in the past two days I've learned:

the drunker you get, the better your Russian gets
the drunker you get, the better you understand Russian

the drunker "they" are, the more they love your dog

the more Russian lessons I have, the more I forget everything I've learned

I think I actually enjoy eating that nasty dried salted fish

That there are women mucholder than me in the world who get sloshed far earlier in the day than I do

That you never know when the person on sitting on a merry-go-round in a neighborhood park, eating pumpkin seeds and drinking beer, will be the person who helps you navigate your way through an incomprehensible conversation you are having in Russian with someone else . . .

And, after writing all that, I've learned I babble too much. And am off to bed. :10518: (One more sip of wine. Maybe.)

HUGGIES

:SwoonLoveSmiley:

BTW, Albertina, I would just say "HUGS" if I were you. In the US "HUGGIES" are baby diapers. :yuk:

SalTheReturn
18-06-2008, 00:55
whats "get sloshed" mean?

elis
18-06-2008, 01:04
whats "get sloshed" mean?

as the Russians might say "read too much". Also, get corked, get drunk, etc. etc.

ellunas
18-06-2008, 02:40
I think those new things that we learn every day are so subtle sometimes that we don't even register learning them! :10310:

Sometimes I catch myself thinking: Gosh, I've changed so much, I've learnt so much, I am so different from what I was two, three, five years ago... When did it all happen? (The only thing that kind of bursts my bubble at those moments is that I know two years from now I'll have the same feelings about my current self as I think now of myself in the past. "Naive" and "silly" are the two words I will most likely use. :cool:)

Does this make sense? :question:

Albertina
18-06-2008, 08:27
BTW, Albertina, I would just say "HUGS" if I were you. In the US "HUGGIES" are baby diapers. :yuk:

Sorry, I just wanted to Pamper y'all :D

Albertina
22-06-2008, 23:11
Well, I learnt or to be precise 're-learnt' that Moscow Metro is much more functional, convenient, fast and even cooler than the London Tube. (not to speak about the price :thumbsup:). I'm now feeling very honored and proud to be a rider of Moscow METRO!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bels
23-06-2008, 00:33
Well, I learnt or to be precise 're-learnt' that Moscow Metro is much more functional, convenient, fast and even cooler than the London Tube. (not to speak about the price :thumbsup:). I'm now feeling very honored and proud to be a rider of Moscow METRO!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

But let's not forget that the London tube was first in the world, and also trains weeere the first in the world in Great Britain. And the terrible thing thing in Moscoow is that you can't move fast. Whereas you can move fast from outside London surrounding its perimeter of lets say 70km , you can't do this in Moscow. Yet Moscowvites now want to live outside Moscow in houses, but travelling is bad, train, Mettro, and road routes.

So don't even dare compare your Metro to London or any Western European country until you have got yourselves sorted out. Now youve had ideas since 1990, but yet nothing has been done yet. Nobody outside Moscow can move freely and quickly into Moscow. Yet they keep building fast just outside Moscow, without roads and public transport plans. If this continues, Moscow will come to a standstill, and nobody will be able to move.

Albertina
23-06-2008, 00:50
Disagree.
I am talking 5-10 minutes wait, terrible heat, even more crowds than in Moscow, inconvenient small crossings b/w stations - overall longer time to move around it. I am talking about Metropolitan areas.

Gypsy
23-06-2008, 02:18
Disagree.
I am talking 5-10 minutes wait, terrible heat, even more crowds than in Moscow, inconvenient small crossings b/w stations - overall longer time to move around it. I am talking about Metropolitan areas.

I would say the moscow metro beats the London Tube hands down. Price, speed, convenience, everything. Does the Moscow metro have notice boards at every station telling you how long the delays are on each line?

No, because there is no need.

Of course travel outside London is easier than in russia - the country is much smaller.

RRM
23-06-2008, 08:39
I've learnt that vodka with beer is BAD combination. For now I quit that combination....but I said this many times.

Albertina
23-06-2008, 21:38
To build on your point, RRM, I have learnt something in that area too - like to avoid a hangover the next day, one should drink lots of Tequila with lots of salt - the more salt the better! It restores the level of natrium and stuff. :brush:

Gypsy
23-06-2008, 21:48
To build on your point, RRM, I have learnt something in that area too - like to avoid a hangover the next day, one should drink lots of Tequila with lots of salt - the more salt the better! It restores the level of natrium and stuff. :brush:

Prevents dehydration I assume.

I drink a lot of water after a skinful,but then need to keep getting up to go to the toilet-so thanks,I have learned something today.

Bels
23-06-2008, 21:58
Try drinking lots of water before drinking alchohol. And after you've had a skinful. It works.

Albertina
24-06-2008, 00:01
The salt is key. I tried myself - you won't have a headache in the morning if you eat/drink something with lots of salt in the evening. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ultimotattie
24-06-2008, 00:21
I learned that listening to a new language on the treadmill is a good distraction! Treadmills are very boring...

Albertina
24-06-2008, 00:28
I learned that listening to a new language on the treadmill is a good distraction! Treadmills are very boring...

yes, new is good, every time i listen to Latin, I fall asleep...

ultimotattie
24-06-2008, 00:30
yes, new is good, every time i listen to Latin, I fall asleep...

Yes, although I heard such terms as 'zdyes est bank' so many times I was tempted to sleep too. :D

Albertina
24-06-2008, 00:32
Damn, French is so confusing ... :voodoo:

SalTheReturn
25-06-2008, 01:29
I have learnt that if i can impress my future employer with my cleverness all job can be mine for a while. then they will spot my incompetences and laziness.

Charodeyka
28-06-2008, 01:27
Today I learned, that love can give such a pane... I want to fly far far away from here... :plane:

Albertina
30-06-2008, 23:48
I learnt today that everything you do comes back to you one way or another, even 15 years later. nothing goes without consequences. sorry, cant' be more specific - cause it would take up all the bits on the server.

Albertina
30-06-2008, 23:51
Sorry, I actually learnt the whole TWO things today, the second being that I am not learning anything at my work, nothing really new or interesting. just politics and more politics. :floating:

Judge
30-06-2008, 23:54
Today I learnt that you shouldn't feed bread to metro dogs...bread upsets their stomachs..

ezik
30-06-2008, 23:56
I learnt that staying with your parents for over a month (own place back home rented out, so...) is quite a challenge. They treat me like I'm 16 and act as if my wife is just another girlfriend...

elis
01-07-2008, 00:07
Sorry, I actually learnt the whole TWO things today, the second being that I am not learning anything at my work, nothing really new or interesting. just politics and more politics. :floating:

Just get into a zen mode . . . :lovepot: or :zoom: Your choice.

Today I learnt that you shouldn't feed bread to metro dogs...bread upsets their stomachs..

I threw a piece of bread to a metro dog the other day, he wouldn't even look at it. Although he looked at me as though to say "What? That's all you've got to offer?"

I learnt that staying with your parents for over a month (own place back home rented out, so...) is quite a challenge. They treat me like I'm 16 and act as if my wife is just another girlfriend...

:Loco: The husband just went back to the US for 10 days. He's dreading exactly what you speak of.

Albertina
01-07-2008, 00:12
The thing is when I get in the Zen mode I stop doing all the little 'stuff' at work and try to focus on something more important, but some idiot always tries to get me out of my state and right into the usual mud ...:goblin:

Gypsy
01-07-2008, 00:21

Presumably you didn't want your wife to find that out?

I learned that i could sit in a traffic jam for 2 hours and not lose my temper.

French truckers were protesting by driving at walking pace up and down the A26 between junctions 6 and 7 so Plod helpfully closed the road. Normally any delay drives me nuts but for some reason - mainly I guess because I agree with them - I didn't mind, even though it added 2 hours to my drive home from Calais. It is very strange because I started off at 4am very stressed after the day before.

Yesterday was a dreadful high stress day:my sister's ordination as a priest. I couldn't go into the cathedral,but the party afterwards was bad enough - you could cut the smugness with a knife. I haven't seen so much self congratulation and mutual backslapping since, well, the last time I was at a religious do.

Albertina
01-07-2008, 00:22
Can we have an 'Agony Aunt' or 'Rant' thread - I'm so mega-p%£"ed off - I think my keyboard is getting electrified from my typing. I'd recommend Mickey to be an Aunt and Judge to be a judge and elis to philosophize and I'll be ranting and ranting and ranting :5387: :goblin:

elis
01-07-2008, 00:28
Can we have an 'Agony Aunt' or 'Rant' thread - I'm so mega-p%£"ed off - I think my keyboard is getting electrified from my typing. I'd recommend Mickey to be an Aunt and Judge to be a judge and elis to philosophize and I'll be ranting and ranting and ranting :5387: :goblin:

Go for it! Although you may need to wait for my commentary until the morning.

:bedtime:

(Patience is a virtue, afterall.)

ultimotattie
01-07-2008, 05:01
I learned not to go to a Post Office on pension day. I waited half an hour in line to send some packages, then after I got home I realised I had another one to send, and had to go back and wait another half hour in line. Why are there so many old people in this back-water town! :(

Albertina
01-07-2008, 23:01
Today I learn that there is no yesterday.

Zen works. :twofaced:

elis
01-07-2008, 23:03
Today I learn
that there is
no yesterday.

So does haiku.

Albertina
01-07-2008, 23:05
So does haiku.

So does Merlot.

Albertina
02-07-2008, 22:59
today i learnt that my boss is an ass. i learn it so often, but surprised every time....

corrollary to this: I learnt that it's not worthwhile coming to work every morning without looking forward to it...

AndreyS
02-07-2008, 23:35
today i learnt that my boss is an ass. i learn it so often, but surprised every time....

All bosses are assholes. It's their job. ;-(

Albertina
02-07-2008, 23:36
It's horrible: my reports think the same of me. :o But THAT I don't care about :goblin:

Albertina
03-07-2008, 23:00
Today I learnt that I'm the only person on this forum learning one thing per day:badclown:

ALSO! I learnt that if you have a clutter in your apartment, beer clears it very well! Same with the clutter in your head :shhhhhh:

MickeyTong
03-07-2008, 23:09
ALSO! I learnt that if you have a clutter in your apartment, beer clears it very well! Same with the clutter in your head :shhhhhh:

I'll drink to that! :11629::10518:

Gypsy
03-07-2008, 23:18
Today I learnt that I'm the only person on this forum learning one thing per day:badclown:

No.

I have learned a new thing every day.

But then I drink and forget what it was.

Albertina
04-07-2008, 00:27
Drink Gingko Biloba with that - it improves memory. Or write here before getting drunk :D

Gypsy
04-07-2008, 08:29
Drink Gingko Biloba with that - it improves memory. Or write here before getting drunk :D

Write what?

Albertina
04-07-2008, 20:23
Write what?

what you learnt :redcard:

Albertina
05-07-2008, 15:26
Today I learnt that I was cheated out of 100 Euros in the Exchange kiosk on the Old Arbat. (I ususally change in the banks, but this time I just was not thinking).

In the heart of Moscow these things still happen!!! Now I understand why they say at the entrance 'Only one person can enter at a time' - no witnesses... :evilgrin:

Gypsy
05-07-2008, 15:54
what you learnt :redcard:

Did I learn something?

Cool.

What?

pullar
05-07-2008, 19:09
Today I learnt that I was cheated out of 100 Euros in the Exchange kiosk on the Old Arbat. (I ususally change in the banks, but this time I just was not thinking).

In the heart of Moscow these things still happen!!! Now I understand why they say at the entrance 'Only one person can enter at a time' - no witnesses... :evilgrin:

Which one? So I can steer clear of it.

Albertina
05-07-2008, 20:12
Stay cleer of all of them in the whole Moscow. Only change at the bank.
But to answer your question, it was the one in front of the Pharmacy Rigla, next to some jewelry shop. anyway, they are all dodgy.

But what I learnt afterwards is that the best way to cope with the loss is to go out and spend even more! which i did :11721:

Sidney Bliss
05-07-2008, 20:20
I'm gettin' me an "I love Albertina" t-shirt.

bambina
05-07-2008, 20:31
I have learnt that all the time I try to plan to change something in my life it does change but every time it does it's so unexpected :doh:

Albertina
05-07-2008, 20:31
I'm gettin' me an "I love Albertina" t-shirt.

I can sell you one for 100 Euro! :badclown:

Albertina
06-07-2008, 18:36
Now, THAT's a winner of all my learnigns!
Today, at the TZUM while browsing through various cosmetics for body I suddenly saw a cream can with 'For Love Handles for Men' written on it.
It's a cream, as a consultant explained to me, for men against fat in their love handles zone. What is that?! I thought it's a wonen's prerogative. How can men have love handles?! How do they look?! :shhhhhh:

Gypsy
06-07-2008, 18:56
Today, at the TZUM while browsing through various cosmetics for body I suddenly saw a cream can with 'For Love Handles for Men' written on it.
It's a cream, as a consultant explained to me, for men against fat in their love handles zone. What is that?! I thought it's a wonen's prerogative. How can men have love handles?! How do they look?! :shhhhhh:

How would it work?

MickeyTong
06-07-2008, 19:09
How would it work?
It needs to be rubbed in, lovingly, by an adoring woman, several times every day.....

Gypsy
06-07-2008, 19:12
It needs to be rubbed in, lovingly, by an adoring woman, several times every day.....

Wonderful.

But what happens?

Presumably the cream shrinks the love-handles.

So why don't her hands shrink as well?

MickeyTong
06-07-2008, 19:14
I suppose there is that danger.....and don't let her near your family jewels!

Albertina
06-07-2008, 20:13
How would it work?

Have you got this problem ;) :o

Albertina
06-07-2008, 20:14
Wonderful.

But what happens?

Presumably the cream shrinks the love-handles.

Because the cream is developed for the stubborn men's fat cells on the sides of the waist-line, at least where it was supposed to be...

Gypsy
06-07-2008, 20:41
Because the cream is developed for the stubborn men's fat cells on the sides of the waist-line, at least where it was supposed to be...

So it is intelligent cream that can tell the difference between fat cells in love handles and in hands?

Damn clever.

Definitely learned something today.

Bels
06-07-2008, 20:57
I've learnt by using and reading our Russian British Chamber of Commerce website I have learnt nothing and here is a fine example. The website claims here and there that if you pay here and there, for this and that, that you will eventually learn nothing. So how about that! Find nothing and if you pay you will learn more about nothing!

Now here's a fine example :) Engish version at the top, and Russian translation at the bottom.

NOW AFTER READING THIS, HAVE YOU LEARNT ANYTHING NEW?

I'd love to see a minutes of this seminar, because I'm in an extremely sceptical mood after reading this. Come on! give the minutes to expat.ru.

RBCC Seminar “Survival Guide for Expats in Russia 2008”
26 March 2008

On 26 March the RBCC Moscow office held an extremely useful and practical seminar “Survival Guide for Expats in Russia 2008” at the Marriott Grand Hotel, which was specifically tailored for foreigners planning to move into Russia on business or for those already settled here. The event was kindly supported by Penny Lane Realty, Penny Lane Personnel, PG&P and MIG Security Services. As Helen Womack, a freelance British journalist based in Moscow who moderated the event, said in her opening words to the seminar, one can come to Russia for a couple of days or a couple of years – there’s rarely something in between – but in any case an expatriate can not only survive but thrive here.
The presentations covered different aspects of everyday life in Russia and were tailored to pinpoint issues that an expat might face and to show the best ways out of potential pitfalls. Inna Kachalova, lawyer from PG&P, highlighted some visa regulations and migration law matters for foreign employees, while Anastasia Simonova from Ace-International Moving focused on the logistical side of the relocation process. Karina Khudenko, Director of PwC, spoke about the provision of expatriate benefits in Russia. Elena Egorova, director of Sales and Development at Penny Lane Personnel, and Mila Trukhmanova, Head of Expatriate Services at IKEA Russia, enlarged on the HR and recruitment questions; focusing on the pros and cons of employing foreign specialists and the best strategies to retain expatriate employees. Mikhail Balev from MIG Security Services presented the Emergency Assistance Interregional Programme, which is a unique solution for helping expats feel safe in Russia. Angela Baxter, Berlitz Business Development Director, delivered a brilliant presentation on the importance of cross-cultural issues and the threats of stereotypes for international business practices.
The seminar also highlighted the wealth of social benefits and leisure opportunities that expats’ have at their disposal in Russia. Andrey Sado, Director of the Elite Real Estate Department at Penny Lane Realty, made obvious the great potential of the residential market for expatriates in Moscow, while Ross Hunter, MA Headmaster at the English International School in Moscow focused on the schooling issues of family relocation. The representatives of Ingosstrakh Insurance Company, World Class fitness and the British Women’s Club gave an overview of the medical services, sport and recreational facilities available for expats in Russia.
The event proved a great success and even Russian guests admitted they had learnt a lot from the presentations about themselves and the country they live in. The RBCC staff would like to thank all the member-companies, guests and partners for their contributions to this seminar and wish our expat colleagues good luck in working out their Russian life-styles.

РБТП проводит семинар «Руководство по выживанию иностранцев в России 2008»
26 марта РБТП провела очень полезный практический семинар «Руководство по выживанию иностранцев в России 2008» в Мариотт Гранд Отеле, специально предназначенный для иностранцев, которые собираются переехать в Россию по трудовому контракту, и для тех, кто уже здесь устроился. Мероприятие прошло при поддержке Penny Lane Realty, Penny Lane Personnel, PG&P и компании МИГ. Как сказала в своем вступительном слове модератор семинара Хелен Уомак, британская журналистка, которая живет и работает в Москве, в Россию можно приехать на пару дней или пару лет – промежуточный вариант нетипичен – но в любом случае иностранцы могут здесь не просто выживать, а процветать.
Презентации выступавших экспертов осветили различные сферы жизни в России, в которых иностранцы могут столкнуться с проблемами, и указали пути разрешения возможных проблем. Инна Качалова, юрист PG&P, рассказала о некоторых аспектах визового и миграционного регламента для иностранных работников, а Анастасия Симонова из Ace-International Moving обратила особое внимание логистической стороне переезда экспатов в Россию. Карина Худенко, директор PWC, рассказала о предоставлении различных услуг экспатам в России. Елена Егорова, директор отдела продаж и развития, Penny Lane Personnel, и Мила Трухманова, глава отдела услуг для экспатов, ИКЕА Россия, обратились к теме особенностей кадровой политики в отношении иностранцев в России, преимуществ и недостатков их найма. Михаил Балев из компании по предоставлению охранных услуг МИГ представил межрегиональную программу экстренной помощи, которая позволит иностранцам чувствовать себя в безопасности в чужой стране. Анжела Бакстер, директор по развитию компании Berlitz, выступила с блестящей презентацией, которая показала, насколько важны вопросы межкультурной коммуникации и как опасны стереотипы в бизнесе.
На семинаре также были представлены многочисленные социальные услуги и возможности проведения досуга и общения для экспатов в России. Андрей Садо, директор департамента аренды элитных квартир Penny Lane Realty, рассказал об огромном потенциале рынка жилой недвижимости в Москве. Росс Хантер, глава Английской международной школы в Москве, осветил возможности образования для детей иностранцев при переезде в Россию. Андрей Дмитренок, заместитель директора Департамента медицинского страхования компании Ингосстрах представил варианты предоставления медицинских услуг экспатам в Москве. Представители компаний World Class Fitness и British Women’s Club рассказали о спортивной и общественной жизни экспатов столицы.
Мероприятие имело большой успех, и даже русские гости признавались, что узнали из презентаций много нового о себе и своей стране. РБТП благодарит всех гостей, коллег и партнеров за участие в семинаре. Мы желаем нашим иностранным коллегам успешно адаптироваться к жизни в России.

SalTheReturn
06-07-2008, 20:59
I have learnt that all the time I try to plan to change something in my life it does change but every time it does it's so unexpected :doh:

the same here, it happens a lot with women and jobs. weird.

SalTheReturn
06-07-2008, 21:01

you really dunno what a love handles is?

the word on the street it is that when they are not too big it is even sexy and women love them...they can hold tight right there!!!

i have love handles, will soon take a pic and post it

Albertina
06-07-2008, 21:01
You know, Bels, admitting that you have learnt nothing is the first step on the way to ... well to something...

Bels
06-07-2008, 21:11
you really dunno what a love handles is?

the word on the street it is that when they are not too big it is even sexy and women love them...they can hold tight right there!!!

I thought it was a polite way of saying you had no longer had a waistline, and you now had something to grab onto.

Bels
06-07-2008, 21:14
You know, Bels, admitting that you have learnt nothing is the first step on the way to ... well to something...

Hmm :) Or to nothing. Did you learn anything from this supposedly informative site ?

elis
06-07-2008, 21:32

Oh No!! TMI TMI!

MickeyTong
06-07-2008, 21:34
Please....don't.

SalTheReturn
06-07-2008, 22:45
i said love handles not my hairy back...why dont you wanna see it?

SalTheReturn
06-07-2008, 22:48
what means TMI? its an acronymim

DJ Biscuit
06-07-2008, 22:48
O M D!

elis
06-07-2008, 22:49

NOooooooo ......

TMI! TMI! TMI! :10168:

(Too much information!!)

MickeyTong
06-07-2008, 22:55
Because I've just eaten.

DJ Biscuit
07-07-2008, 19:01
What I have learnt Today is that when someone offers you a job and says that you start on the 1st of July they don't necessarily mean that you will start then and they don't necessarily mean that the job offer is actually definate...

:(

elis
07-07-2008, 19:26
What I have learnt Today is that when someone offers you a job and says that you start on the 1st of July they don't necessarily mean that you will start then and they don't necessarily mean that the job offer is actually definate...

:(

Oh no! That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

bambina
07-07-2008, 21:38
I have learnt that you can work extra hours or come to work Saturdays in order to finish your work in time but the moment you come 10 minutes late in the morning your boss will come to you and inquire you as if you are such a slacker and never do your work in time, where is justice??? :vampire:

Albertina
07-07-2008, 21:40
Slackers are much more successful than hard-workers.

Bels
07-07-2008, 21:41
Same here. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Albertina
09-07-2008, 19:48
I am frantically trying to recall what I learnt today, before I start that beer.. Can't remember anything....

Oh, wait, it's about the beer - it's called 'Anti-Aging Beer' - 150 rubles per bottle. I stocked up. From now on - No aging for ME! Yiihhaaa :cheerleader::cheerleader:

elis
15-07-2008, 15:05
Today I learned that it takes a f*** of a lot longer to make gazpacho WITHOUT a food processor!!

Gypsy
15-07-2008, 15:17
Today I learned that it takes a f*** of a lot longer to make gazpacho WITHOUT a food processor!!

But less time than the average wait in a Moscow restaurant.

SalTheReturn
15-07-2008, 15:18
I have learnt Florence with american female tourists in their 20s and italian guys abandoning the cities (meaning no competition), it is as lustful as Moscow.
May God bless America.

elis
15-07-2008, 16:16
I have learnt Florence with american female tourists in their 20s and italian guys abandoning the cities (meaning no competition), it is as lustful as Moscow.
May God bless America.

Solo oggi you learned this... :)

SalTheReturn
15-07-2008, 16:31
Solo oggi you learned this... :)

i think this is my first time in florence since a long time!!! with my friend we almost came to the conclusion it is useless to go on holiday when you have so much going on in your own city

Bels
15-07-2008, 17:02
i think this is my first time in florence since a long time!!! with my friend we almost came to the conclusion it is useless to go on holiday when you have so much going on in your own city

Wow! I agree with Sal on that one, and I've never been there. What on earth is happening to me, it must be the heat in Moscow region.

SalTheReturn
15-07-2008, 18:43
Wow! I agree with Sal on that one, and I've never been there. What on earth is happening to me, it must be the heat in Moscow region.

it is not he heat Bels, it is a pathology.

Bels
15-07-2008, 19:47
What!!! The Science of diseases! Explain yourself :)

Bels
15-07-2008, 19:56
Or do you mean a psychological match :) This is Mickey Tongs job.

SalTheReturn
15-07-2008, 21:10
Or do you mean a psychological match :) This is Mickey Tongs job.

I mean you are sick.

Bels
15-07-2008, 21:57
I think I'm healthy for my age, not sick.

Gypsy
16-07-2008, 00:26
I think I'm healthy for my age, not sick.

No he lisps in reverse. He's saying you are thick.

Albertina
19-07-2008, 23:46
Hello, people. I can see that not much has been happening here... Where are y"all?!

Anyway, wanted to share with you what I've learnt so far from my travels so far and that is that sometimes it"s better not to travel at all :devilish: At least not by Alitalia (what an oversight on my part). Just to cut a long story short, i can simply state that neither in Chinese, nor in Indian airports, not even on Delta airlines, never ever have I actually cried during my trips, but Alitalia has managed that! Not even many boyfriends can boast to bring me to tears.... However I broke down in tears out of helplessness, their rudeness, total mess, missing a connectin flight, spedning a night in Rome - basically travelling almost 2 days (I could have been in Australia by the time I got to my destination).... And surely, it ends even worse, because of some unexpected issues I have to cut my stay short and travel to another country to solve them, if thats possible.
So what did I learn? Apart from NEVER ever flying Alitalia, of course.
I learnt that you shouldn't check emails and take your mobile phone on vacations. When I come back to Moscow, I"ll need a doctor! That 's the type of vacation I got this year:floating: Aghrrr! But thanks for reading that far!

SalTheReturn
20-07-2008, 00:02
Hello, people. I can see that not much has been happening here... Where are y"all?!

Anyway, wanted to share with you what I've learnt so far from my travels so far and that is that sometimes it"s better not to travel at all :devilish: At least not by Alitalia (what an oversight on my part). Just to cut a long story short, i can simply state that neither in Chinese, nor in Indian airports, not even on Delta airlines, never ever have I actually cried during my trips, but Alitalia has managed that! Not even many boyfriends can boast to bring me to tears.... However I broke down in tears out of helplessness, their rudeness, total mess, missing a connectin flight, spedning a night in Rome - basically travelling almost 2 days (I could have been in Australia by the time I got to my destination).... And surely, it ends even worse, because of some unexpected issues I have to cut my stay short and travel to another country to solve them, if thats possible.
So what did I learn? Apart from NEVER ever flying Alitalia, of course.
I learnt that you shouldn't check emails and take your mobile phone on vacations. When I come back to Moscow, I"ll need a doctor! That 's the type of vacation I got this year:floating: Aghrrr! But thanks for reading that far!

i thought you were on a business trip, werent you?

pls tell me in details what has happened with Alitalia

I used them several times and when they were troubles they accomodated me in a 4 star hotel and provided me and other stranded passengers with a decent dinner

Albertina
20-07-2008, 00:12
i thought you were on a business trip, werent you?

pls tell me in details what has happened with Alitalia

I used them several times and when they were troubles they accomodated me in a 4 star hotel and provided me and other stranded passengers with a decent dinner

Yes, isn"t it strange that delays happen so often with them. You know how much I have been flying - like 2-3 times a month all over the world for 8 years and I only had one case of such a delay that neded a hotel, etc. and never again. Now I try Alitalia for basically the first time and they are delayed, unorganized, rude, donąt take any accountability, the only thing they were saying was "it was not our fault", I had 15 minutes to the connecting flight, they didnąt show me where the Transit place was and when I finally found it after "jogging in high heels and with two bags" around the whole vast messy area of what has become of the Rome airport (though it looks more like a bazaar now), there were 2 clerks and 20 people in line!
I remember Indians with Kalashnikovs and cows around the airport in New Delhi, noone spoke English and there was no info about a connecting flight, but I felt like in the First Class Lounge compared to the F"£/$)ing Alitalia and its Rome airf$/"(ingport!

MickeyTong
20-07-2008, 01:22
Alitalia/Genitalia........

Albertina
20-07-2008, 15:16
Alitalia/Genitalia........

I thought - Anomalia ...:hooray:

Anyway - I am successfully out of there and am in a civilized world...
When I come back to Moscow, why don"t we all go to eat out - maybe Italian :vampire: :D

Albertina
24-07-2008, 23:01
Today, first day after coming back, I learnt that I love Moscow above all cities in the world!

SalTheReturn
26-07-2008, 23:34
today i have learnt that 75% of american are circumsized...why is that?:10189:

honesty
26-07-2008, 23:49
Good evening everybody ! :)
Well duys, in total the most important two things have been learnt for today are :
1.A Russian phraze - "я проснулся на раз(с)вете" lol :)))
2. The most drunk people together at the same time in a public place :))

These two lessons are the winners ! :)))))) Hey..stay more in Russia and you will learn a lot of other things :)))

As for me.....I got some new information regarding my new job and thats all :)

4trace
01-08-2008, 00:48
I have learnt these stuff:

1)the problem is not to find a decent woman/man the problem is to find a decent woman/man you can take with you
2)you have to make what you feel, be good if you feel like being good even if the other person would theorically deserve crap
3)there are things that cannot be planned
4)russian is a crap language in fact you can say
проснулся с разветом or на разветом or перед разветом whilst these differences make no sense to most of human being your russian teacher will think that matters
a bit confused with "проснулся с разветом or на разветом or перед разветом whilst these differences make no sense to most of human being your russian teacher will think that matters"... are you talking about sunrise= рассвет or is it some kind of new expression in russian (like a new verb today from president Medvedev - koshmarit (from a noun кошмар))?

Transparent Theatre
01-08-2008, 00:53

You mean all the men... and half the women too?? :question: :question:

Gypsy
01-08-2008, 02:30
I learned that it is f%^ing hot here, and I have no aircon.

MissAnnElk
01-08-2008, 04:32
I learned that it is very difficult to get pigs and sheep and cows to stand quietly while they are being judged (I was at the State Fair . . .)

w.meijerink
01-08-2008, 10:34
I have learn today "Never play wordgames with Gypsy" you never will win.

xSnoofovich
01-08-2008, 11:15

Because it is done in the hospitals, right after the babies are born.

Gypsy
01-08-2008, 11:23
I have learn today "Never play wordgames with Gypsy" you never will win.
Ah! This morning's UN Secretary General Mornington Crescent? In general this is true. The point about Mor.Cres. is that there are no rules,so you have to fight your corner. Personally I would have allowed your Choeung Ek and followed up with Raoul Wallenberg but LGS is very strict.

leelee
01-08-2008, 21:25
What have I learn`t today--- it get dark at strange times of the day

w.meijerink
03-08-2008, 03:53
That family is more important than money.

I miss my wife and child :(

Charodeyka
06-08-2008, 16:09
I learned finally what does mean Russians "I can't live without you" :nut:
Yeah... I can't... :mooooh:

Gypsy
06-08-2008, 19:23
Just got back from the Oceanographic Park in Valencia where I caught the dolphin show. I've seen some on TV and saw some many years ago-this was something else. Quite breathtaking.

The men/women trainers are all Marine Biology graduates and researchers, and what was very clear was that the women were far more affectionate, and the dolphins responded better - they threw the women higher and further,got further out of the water to be petted;in fact in every interaction there seemed to be more mutual affection between the women and the dolphins than the men.

Albertina
06-08-2008, 20:50
Just got back from the Oceanographic Park in Valencia where I caught the dolphin show. I've seen some on TV and saw some many years ago-this was something else. Quite breathtaking.

The men/women trainers are all Marine Biology graduates and researchers, and what was very clear was that the women were far more affectionate, and the dolphins responded better - they threw the women higher and further,got further out of the water to be petted;in fact in every interaction there seemed to be more mutual affection between the women and the dolphins than the men.

YEESS! So true!

Albertina
06-08-2008, 21:02
I have learned that bigger troubles help solve smaller ones. Everything is relative and it can always get worse. Therefore, one should not get upset of one's current problems :sunny:

Gypsy
06-08-2008, 21:22
I have learned that bigger troubles help solve smaller ones. Everything is relative and it can always get worse. Therefore, one should not get upset of one's current problems :sunny:

I used to have a book called The Perpetual Pessimist-illustrated by the man who drew Molesworth: it was subtitled An Almanack of Woe;and it had a disaster that happened on every day of the year along with a a saying.

My favourite was; people said "Cheer up,it could be worse.So I cheered up,and sure enough,it did get worse."

Albertina
06-08-2008, 22:34
I used to have a book called The Perpetual Pessimist-illustrated by the man who drew Molesworth: it was subtitled An Almanack of Woe;and it had a disaster that happened on every day of the year along with a a saying.

My favourite was; people said "Cheer up,it could be worse.So I cheered up,and sure enough,it did get worse."

Unfortunately, I said/learnt it post-factum of all this sequence of events :(

tvar
01-05-2009, 05:34
I have learned chocolate is good for you- and wine really is excellent in moderation...

mosaikmum
01-05-2009, 16:47
I learnt tonight that 'you're never too old'.....or.....'there's a first time for everything' :)

pjw
09-05-2009, 17:11
I have learned chocolate is good for you- and wine really is excellent in moderation...

sounds good but i've never tried it - in moderation i mean ;)
I learnt tonight that 'you're never too old'.....or.....'there's a first time for everything' :) what happened? 1st time for what? come on dear mos, details please, there's potential questions in your post that i think needs to be investigated. now i'm starting to get curious

Helenita
02-06-2009, 21:40
My favourite was; people said "Cheer up,it could be worse.So I cheered up,and sure enough,it did get worse."[/QUOTE]

Oh...yeah, indeed!...But at the same time: After rain comes fair weather. So. Let's hope for the best ))

brucom
16-01-2010, 05:36
I learned the difference between umlaut and ablaut.
I learned that Russian has regressive assimilation and English has progressive assimilation.
Emeril cooks with a lot of onomatopoeia.

spmoscow
16-02-2010, 22:21
i found the nice looking new japanese restaurant just opposite my office has no english menu)) and it was fun to order my lunch there and speak to the waitresses who were also quite unaware of english)) but gladly i ended up ordering decent things to eat..luckily!

MaidMary
27-02-2011, 13:36
I've learned that white and fusia are back in trend
I've learned that a child can be easily calmed down with Molten Chocolate cake from Chili's
I've learned that my husban already found a place with the most charming roses in Moscow :)