PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Whisky

Broadmoor Bob
16-08-2003, 14:47
Anyone ever use whisky to marinade meat or fish? If so, does it matter what quality of whisky you use, or is a lower-priced blend OK for that purpose? I want to give it a try, but I'd rather bring back a bottle of inexpensive blended Scotch or cheap bourbon from Duty Free (no such thing as bloody inexpensive whisky in Moscow - makes me want to go back to my old life of breaking into off-licences, but I hear this Lefortovo is a bloody sight worse than Broadmoor or the Scrubs) than use some of my single malts.

neilmcg
17-08-2003, 00:12
Whisky goes well with prawns (err "shrimp" to you), but I don't recommend wasting good stuff - any old supermarket own-brand will do, or failing that Teacher's, Dewars, JW Red Label or similar.

WHISKY PRAWNS (my Australian cousin's recipe - he's a chef in Melbourne)
16 king prawns, either fresh, or at least defrosted (allow 4 pp)
100g pure unsalted dairy butter, economise at your peril
1 tbsp lemon juice
150ml whisky - warmed
4-6 large lettuce leaves, washed & drained.

Clean the prawns and remove the tails. Over a medium heat, melt the butter but don't burn it. Add lemon juice and prawns, and stir-fry (stir continuously) until prawns are exactly ready. Immediate remove from the heat, and whilst still in the pan, pour over the whisky, and ignite (take care, the flames can rise quite high). As soon as the flames disappear, serve on a bed of lettuce leaves.

Broadmoor Bob
17-08-2003, 08:43
Sounds good :)