PDA

View Full Version : Meat Importation

SpruceGoose
23-05-2004, 13:22
Hi my little chickadees, has anyone got any contacts or know of anyone who may be interested in importing some of the worlds finest beef from Australia. I have just discovered that I have very good contacts in the Australian beef world and that they would be highly apreciative if I found some buyers in Moscva.

I am talking all forms of beef, steaks, chops, whole sides, all perfectly prepared, cryo vacuum sealed (if desired) and handled in pristinely hygeine conditions. Not just beef, but lamb, chicken, kangaroo (I am serious, it is good to eat) Tasmanian Salmon, and a range of smallgood deli type things (Salami, sausages etc). Beam me a PM or load up a post if you like.....

Cheers

SpruceGoose

trebor
23-05-2004, 15:05
SpruceGoose
there already many companies that import Australian meat products. Still, if your prices are competitive and source reliable they could be interested.
As for Tasmanian salmon and salami sausage you might find its a bit like trying to sell eskimos ice. There is a lot of Russian production in the market.
If you want the name of a few meat wholesalers in Moscow drop me a PM

Ghost
23-05-2004, 15:08
Be careful, Russian regulations on meat and poultry coming into the country are quite insane. I import baby food that has meat puree' and it's a pain in the ass trying to get veterinary certificates that pass customs.

Hick_hop
23-05-2004, 17:55
Roo meat is not good, that is why it winds up only in the cheapest meat pies in Oz.

Having said that, if you can get good steaks imported for a sales price less than the $40 / kilo Stockman's charges, I'll line up to buy.

Ned Kelly
23-05-2004, 20:12
Originally posted by Hick_hop
Roo meat is not good, that is why it winds up only in the cheapest meat pies in Oz.

are you saying all of my four 'n twenties were packed with skippy?

trebor
23-05-2004, 20:27
Hick_hop
only in Russia is it difficult ot buy quality imported steak at less than crazy prices.
There is some kind of racket going on.

SpruceGoose
23-05-2004, 20:50
Hi guys I am back. I dont want to get into an argument about roos and meat and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But for those thinking it ends up in pies I am telling you you are crazy (and as for Four and Twenty! You've got to be kidding). The only thing going into the four and twenties is, scrapings from the superheated and crushed bones, gristle, fat, small amounts of pubic hair, and sawdust. But its great at the footy once you wrap it up in pastry and smear it in sauce so hot it melts base metals. I once saw 6 consumed in time on of the second quarter between St Kilda and Carlton at Moorrabin on the day plugger Plugger kicked 10 on S Silvagni. I dont reckon there was a skerrick of real meat in any of them.

But seriously I can tell you that roo meat is very good for the punters, low in fat and all that. And for our english mate I reckon I wont point at any english meats and wobble on my feet. ALthough i am no longer allowed to donate blood in Australia for having consumed so much of the fine english product some years ago.

SG

Ned Kelly
23-05-2004, 20:54
Originally posted by SpruceGoose
. But for those thinking it ends up in pies I am telling you you are crazy (and as for Four and Twenty! You've got to be kidding). The only thing going into the four and twenties is, scrapings from the superheated and crushed bones, gristle, fat, small amounts of pubic hair, and sawdust. But its great at the footy once you wrap it up in pastry and smear it in sauce so hot it melts base metals. I once saw 6 consumed in time on of the second quarter between St Kilda and Carlton at Moorrabin on the day plugger Plugger kicked 10 on S Silvagni. I dont reckon there was a skerrick of real meat in any of them.SG

Thank God for that! I was ready to get on the next plane to Melbourne and file a personal complaint about getting meat in my meat pies for 20-odd years!

Agree, kangaroo is terrific.

kniga
23-05-2004, 21:58
In '67 I was on R & R in Bangkok sitting at a piano bar when a guy and a beautiful girl came in and sat down near me. Hearing the 'Strine accent, and having already consumed a yard of ale (in fact, that was the name of the joint as I remember), I was a smartass and quipped to my buddy, "Oh, look, Alf, it's a bayby roo!" in my broadest (and poor) Aussie accent. Turns out the guy was a knife thrower and the target was his daughter. I was lucky to have gotten out of the place with my scalp still intact. Never got down to the Land Down Under to pursue the sheilas nor try eating any other kind of roo. Kinda sorry now...

Ned Kelly
23-05-2004, 22:00
I once saw 6 consumed in time on of the second quarter between St Kilda and Carlton at Moorrabin on the day plugger Plugger kicked 10 on S Silvagni. I dont reckon there was a skerrick of real meat in any of them.years ago.SG

Mate, I don;t want to remove the lustre from what has to be one of expat.ru's great posts of the year, but there's now way you could eat six in time-on. Even if Plugger kicked half a dozen goals in the second qurter, and if memmory serves me correct he didn't, the best you'd get was 6 minutes. Are you trying to say you saw six four 'n twenties downed in six minutes? If so, that should be in the Guiness book of records!

SpruceGoose
24-05-2004, 14:15
The game in question had a time on which went about 11 minutes due to some poor acting by a Carlton player by the name of Glascott, a bid for immortality (and lasting emnity of the Saints fraternity) by an umpire by the name of Rowan Sawers, and a nifty piece of defensive work by Greg Burns which saw him embed elbows, knees, and his forehead in the back of Glascotts head after arriving late for a spoil, and then coming up with a top class second effort which saw him punch Glascotts head a couple of times in an attempt to punch the ball away. The scoffer of the Pies (who is now an associate professor of Biology on some south pacific island where I am told they like their people with plenty of meat) was a 6 foot 4 man who weighed in about 22 stone. Personally I would have backed him to do six pies in 2 minutes.

But it should be noted that, in accordance with the customs in vogue at the time, the pies werent hot (this being Moorabin just before half time), and that the pies did indeed come out later on in the day (as punctuation in a bellowed exhortation to Umpire Sawers after another tilt at immortality from him when reporting Joffa Cunningham), past a gullet well lubricated with beer. The subsequent carrot count revealed not a trace of anything which truly comes under the heading MEAT, although a number of judges did feel that something which landed on an esky in front of us may well have been stomach lining. It was a great day.

Ned Kelly
24-05-2004, 14:23
Ok, it all makes sense then.

am4rw
25-05-2004, 21:38
What language is this? It resembles English, but ... :confused: :confused:

The game in question had a time on which went about 11 minutes due to some poor acting by a Carlton player by the name of Glascott, a bid for immortality (and lasting emnity of the Saints fraternity) by an umpire by the name of Rowan Sawers, and a nifty piece of defensive work by Greg Burns which saw him embed elbows, knees, and his forehead in the back of Glascotts head after arriving late for a spoil, and then coming up with a top class second effort which saw him punch Glascotts head a couple of times in an attempt to punch the ball away. The scoffer of the Pies (who is now an associate professor of Biology on some south pacific island where I am told they like their people with plenty of meat) was a 6 foot 4 man who weighed in about 22 stone. Personally I would have backed him to do six pies in 2 minutes.

But it should be noted that, in accordance with the customs in vogue at the time, the pies werent hot (this being Moorabin just before half time), and that the pies did indeed come out later on in the day (as punctuation in a bellowed exhortation to Umpire Sawers after another tilt at immortality from him when reporting Joffa Cunningham), past a gullet well lubricated with beer. The subsequent carrot count revealed not a trace of anything which truly comes under the heading MEAT, although a number of judges did feel that something which landed on an esky in front of us may well have been stomach lining. It was a great day.

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 07:28
My friend, one needs to have shed tears over Gary Bukanara's goal in time on to deny Robbie Flower a grand final appearance to be able to appreciate SpruceGoose.;)

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 09:30
crikey, slipp'n back into 'stray'n has done some damage to me writing. gary buchanara of course - apologies to hawthorn fans (though i hate the hawks:p )

SpruceGoose
26-05-2004, 11:42
Buckenara, thats Buckenara! and it was tough, but Jimmy shouldnt have run across the mark like that. Although I should confess that even I (a notorious Melbourne hater) thought that Robbie Flower should have gone out with a GF appearance.

Its certainly english, I can assure you. Actually, it may disturb some of you people to know I am actually working as an english teacher at the moment (in between trying to get something happening business wise, and doing my MBA off campus). The Muscovites love it, and some of them this very morning have learned all about the art of relating dress standard to the concept of a 'Pox Doctors Clerk' which I followed up with the bum wobbling scene from 'Sunday Too Far Away'. I dunno how much english they learn, but they have plenty of laughs. Besides I am probably more grammatically correct than many of you people, having been educated by Church types who would hold my head in the bowl and flush if I didnt learn what they were teaching.

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 11:47
Have you thought of showing them a few episodes of Kingswood Country?

Go the Ds!

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 11:51
As to schmukenara, tell someone who cares old son!

I must admit, the Ds would have fallen in a screaming heap if they'd gotten into the GF and the way they went out was kind of poetic - befitting of Mr Flower, who was a poet of a footballer if there ever was one.

SpruceGoose
26-05-2004, 12:38
No I think Kingswood Country may be going a tad overboard (even I didnt understand it most of the time). But part of me has had the idea of trying to stage a David Williamson or Jack Hibberd play in Moscva (Imagine how they would cope with 'Don's Party' or 'Dimboola'). Or maybe even an Australia film night somewhere (what would they make of 'Stork'? or 'Bliss' or a load of others from the 70s and 80s when Australian films were still Australian, or even something like 'Two Hands' from a few years ago?)

Agree on the Dees, and R Flower. Damn fine footballer, but they probably would have fallen at the last hurdle anyway (and from memory I dont think he would have played regardless would he?). I would have suported them against Carlton though.

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 12:44
A friend living in Poland showed an episode of KC to his English class and when he turned up the lights at the end there were only stunned faces. He said the best student in the class put up her hand and said: "Chris...er...I didn;t understand a word of that...I wasn't even sure it was English". So you're probably right.

I have Gallipoli here if you want to use it for your class.

You must be enjoying the Saints' performance thus far (I assume you weren't even born at the time of the last flag).

SpruceGoose
26-05-2004, 12:54
Doesnt surprise me in the slightest, I've seen the same reactions from Americans. I'll give you a yell if I want Gallipolli, thanks. Trying to stay away from wars at the moment. I am actually not a Saints man (just have been to loads of their games), but I am enjoying their rise at the moment. Part of me is of the view however, that they will cross some form of tragedy somewhere, I dont know why. And yes I was born at the time of their last flag (it was my first)

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 13:00
yes, it's all too good to be true for the old saints

brian brown's court scene in breaker morant is another good 'un.

anyway, i'll leave you to spruik for the meat business.

braganza
26-05-2004, 21:25
Looks to me like you'll be breaking out the vegemite sandwiches before long. From here its the long slope downhill. You'll start pining for the smell of eucalypts, or some goanna oil, you'll send home for a slab of vic tins, and end up singing 'Hey true Blue' together in a drunken stupor to a carriage full of uncomprehending old ladies on the metro.

braganza
26-05-2004, 21:29
Do either of you guys know how many Australians are in Moscow at any one time (not tourists I mean).

Just wondering

And I think the film night/festival wouldnt be such a bad idea. Dont know how many takers you would get but it could be a surprise.

Ned Kelly
26-05-2004, 21:48
Braganza, SG appears to be that rarest of beasts: both ocker and intellect, whereas I can't make it to either stool and was just trying to draw him out a bit as it was a pleasure to read.

My Coopers Ale shipment and Grange Hermitage should be touching down in Moscow in a little under 20 hours and I'm rather looking forward to it.

As to Aussie get togethers. I can;t really tell you. There was a nice little group of journos I'd bump into pretty regularly but at least half have headed back to Sydney.

I'm not sure how long SG or yourself have been here , so not sure how nostalgic you are, but I'm as nostalgic as hell right now...so if you guys want to get together for a couple of cold ones I'd be keen. The only rider is I've got people in town for the next week or so.

Oh, and after one particularly frenetic ANZAC day barbie I vaguely recall singing "and the band played waltzing matilda" to a group of rather bemused metro passengers.

SpruceGoose
27-05-2004, 10:00
There might have been something in the planetary alignments around here lately. Last night I found myself on the way home in the metro with a large piece of board which I was soon 'wockering' Rolf Haris style, crooning his version of 'Stairway to Heaven' and the fangless old crone looking up at me thought it was the funniest thing she had seen in ages.

Dear Ned, I feel flattered by the sentiment but I did not bring the ambient splash guards for my pockets old son. Careful. I have only been here four months but would happily neck a relaxator or two. Having said that as far as I can make out all of the Fosters in town comes from the UK and tastes like theirs and I havent found anywhere where I can lay my hands on a Cascade (a long time living in Taswegia has influenced my beer preference). Coopers and Grange is a damn fine achievement if you really have that coming through customs.

But I am not nostaligic much. I left to marry here, disgusted after 8 years of being called unaustralian by my Prime Minister, and at the confirmation that Australias foreign policy was the word 'Lickspittle' written in large font , bolded and underlined. Having lived longtime away before I know that it will be about 18 months before the lack of regular sunshine gets up my nose and about 12 months before I start having the yen to be somewhere where there are no other people. (the locals dont believe me when I tell them how easy this is at home)

Will happily join either of you for a gargle however. Another thing that starts to eat after about a year or so is the absence of that razor sharp candour of the type found only in Australians or Kiwis. But so help me, I catch anyone even thinking of singing 'Hey true Blue' and they will be bound gagged, slapped about the head, have their eyes taped open, and be forced to listen to John Williamsons greatest hits for 24 hours straight.

Ned Kelly
27-05-2004, 10:34
There might have been something in the planetary alignments around here lately. Last night I found myself on the way home in the metro with a large piece of board which I was soon 'wockering' Rolf Haris style, crooning his version of 'Stairway to Heaven' .

Puts my rendition of "and the band played waltzing matilda" to shame, though you didn't have a bottle of plonk you were pouring out to the metro audience as you were performing I suppose.

Mate, as I never tire of telling people - just because we have a 24-carat pissant for a pm who's a pair of clarke's shoes hanging out of W.'s arse, we remain a great country.

Something similar goes for Fosters - just because the stuff tastes like a dehydrated cat's piss doesn;t mean Australia can't make a decent beer.:p

Anyway, whenever you gents are ready I'm up for a beer.